Re: To Cat or not to Cat, was re:Tyvek

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 4, 2005
      I used the same
      characteristic curve for the ridgeline and the sides, with the
      curve
      being defined as having a 5" drop over 10'... this gives it a 6"
      drop
      over 11' and a 1.8" drop over 6'. I used a cardboard sewing board
      (?)
      that had 1" grids to make my templetes and cut the material with a
      soldering iron using those templetes.

      Youngblood

      A few quick questions

      1) Do you use grossgrain or webbing on your tarps around the
      perimiter seams? I can't tell from the pictures.

      2) How do you determine the "amount of sag" over a given distance
      for best results. I always thought it was about 1 inch of sag for
      every 1 foot linear, but it looks like you use lesss than that. It
      looks to me like Brin uses a lot more sag in his tarps.

      I really like your idea of the tarp tent and that is what I am going
      to build although I would like to make it 120 X 96, any thoughts on
      that (is that too small, or what would you do different)? I also
      want to use a straight ridgeline, not cat cut. I think this would
      allow me use it better as a tarp only shelter (no hammock). I also
      see you have a third tie out in the long side of the tarp, would
      this be needed if the cat cut (sag) was deeper?

      I have the material on order and will begin work on it in about 2
      weeks, this will be my first homemade gear project.

      Rat
    • Admin
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 20, 2005
        Well, I actually find the hanging method to be quite easy. I use rolled kraft paper for my
        patterns and a lightweight metal decorative chain purchased at a home improvement
        warehouse. Instead of relying on a wall that's as long as I need for the curve, I have a 1" x
        12" x 10' board that I use to put everything on (I store it against the wall behind the couch
        in the living room so it's out of the way and out of sight when not in use). I cut the paper
        into strips 10 inches wide (the paper comes in 30" width), and use 2 spring-loaded clamps
        ($3 each) to hold the paper to the board. Then I measure the center point, how far down I
        want the curve to go, and mark where I want the chain to hang. Open one clamp slightly
        and slide one end of the chain under it. Pull the chain until it is as taut as it needs to be
        for the curve, stick it under the other clamp, and trace the line. Setup time is about 5
        minutes and drawing the curve takes another minute. It's also very easy to adjust the
        chain.

        Not knocking the templates. I just wanted to share that it can be done easily with the
        right supplies.

        -howie