Re: To Cat or not to Cat, was re:Tyvek

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 4, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rambler4466" <rambler4466@h...> wrote:
      > You mention a loud "flapping noise". Did you run the tyvek through
      > a washing mashine? It becomes soft if you do and should not be
      > noisy.

      Nope, but I have run my ground cloths and stuff sacks (also made from Tyvek), and while
      it did soften them up, it also makes them "fuzzy", resulting in them picking up lots of dirt
      and debries.

      At any rate, I never planned on it being a long term solution, and once I made my SilNylon
      tarps, there is just no going back for me. I used the Tyvek as proto typing material and
      sold the rest to fellow hikers looking for some.

      Maybe I will wash it anyway just to test the theory of reduced flapping noise.

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Admin
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 20, 2005
        Well, I actually find the hanging method to be quite easy. I use rolled kraft paper for my
        patterns and a lightweight metal decorative chain purchased at a home improvement
        warehouse. Instead of relying on a wall that's as long as I need for the curve, I have a 1" x
        12" x 10' board that I use to put everything on (I store it against the wall behind the couch
        in the living room so it's out of the way and out of sight when not in use). I cut the paper
        into strips 10 inches wide (the paper comes in 30" width), and use 2 spring-loaded clamps
        ($3 each) to hold the paper to the board. Then I measure the center point, how far down I
        want the curve to go, and mark where I want the chain to hang. Open one clamp slightly
        and slide one end of the chain under it. Pull the chain until it is as taut as it needs to be
        for the curve, stick it under the other clamp, and trace the line. Setup time is about 5
        minutes and drawing the curve takes another minute. It's also very easy to adjust the
        chain.

        Not knocking the templates. I just wanted to share that it can be done easily with the
        right supplies.

        -howie