Newbie to the group

  • blqysmg <david.chamness@eds.com>
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 3, 2003
      Hi, I just found this list, and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm
      fairly new to the whole camping in a hammock movement. I've had
      hammocks for years, and used them on the back porch, or when camping,
      during the day. I've always loved my hammocks.

      I'd never thought of camping overnight in a hammock, though, till I
      found info about it on the web this winter. What a concept! I don't
      know why I never thought of sleeping the night in comfort before. It
      would have made sense, I guess.

      The problem is, as you guys already know, staying warm. I've read a
      bit about the way folks are trying to keep warm in the hammocks at
      night. I tried sleeping out two weekends ago. I set up a tent for
      my boys (ages 4 and 6), and the hammock for myself.

      I used a big, comfy hammock that I had bought at a boat show, of all
      places. It is 1.9 oz rip-stop nylon, with the cloth extending all
      the way to the ends, where hooks are attached. I bought it becouse
      it's the first hammock I'd ever seen that didn't have strings to get
      tangled up.

      I covered the hammock with a 8'x10' tarp, which I tied over a center
      rope. The tarp just reached the ground on either side of the
      hammock. I staked it down with five stakes on the windy side,
      because the weather channel predicted high winds. Boy, they were
      right.

      The wind was fifteen to thirty, and I bet a couple of those gusts
      were close to fifty. It rained,too, but not a great amount. In the
      areas north of me, I hear there were extremely voilent storms. I
      stayed warm and dry until the wind pulled my stakes out. It was the
      most eventful night I've ever spent out.

      The sleeping pad thing has me puzzled, though. I used a therm-a-
      rest, and a lightweight sleeping bag. Underneath, I was almost too
      warm. It felt strangely like I was sleeping on a heating pad. I
      don't think the sleeping bag I used was heavy enough for the night,
      though. It was really a summer weight bag, only good down to 55
      degrees. Since the temp dropped to about 40, I had to resort to
      covering the bag with a fleese liner.

      The only problem I had was whenever I moved, the darn therm-a-rest
      would turn sideways. As long as I could stay on it, I was nice and
      toasty, when it turned, my legs would get cold. It was also
      asthetically displeasing to have the pad sticking up beside me!

      Do the foam pads stay in place better? Are thin pads better at
      conforming to your shape, or do you slide off of them? Would sewing
      or zipping a liner onto the pad help to keep it in place?

      Inquiring minds want to know!

      Thanks for contributing to this body of knowledge. I'm really glad I
      found you guys!

      David
    • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 3, 2003
        Hi David

        Glad you found us. Ed started the group so he deserves most of the
        credit. I can't comment on Therm-a-Rest pads but I have found all
        pads slip a little. Thin foam pads seem to work better and the
        wider pads tend to slip less. For instance my 27 inch wide 3/8 inch
        thick blue foam pad slips more than my 40 inch wide reflectix pad.
        My reflectix pad is almost as wide as the hammock body so it wraps
        up on both sides pretty good. Not much way it can slide out from
        under me. I tried a 20 inch blue foam pad and it was much harder to
        stay on top of.

        Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "blqysmg

      • Stephen T. Gregorie
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
          this past weekend I was 'hanging around' and my 3/4
          inch therm-a rest was sliding everywhere. My wife
          suggested getting some of the material used to keep
          rugs from sliping. It is a tacky mesh material. So I'm
          going to try that.

          steve
          --- "starnescr <starnescr@...>"

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
            Hi David,

            Welcome to the group. I have not used the thermarest in the
            hammock... I have one but did not choose to do experiments with it:

            - too heavy
            - notorious for slipping out from under
            - not long enough to be under feet and they get cold

            Now that you have tried the Thermarest, try a $10 experiment and get
            the Target 27" wide pad. (Usually in Target stores nationwide) It is
            3/8 inch thick and 72"long. The experiment will cost you less than
            going out to McDonalds - they sell for between 10 and 12 bucks.
            Weight is about half of the lightest thermarest.

            You will find the pad is sort of "sticky" against the nylon hammock
            material and tends to stay put. It will have a few wrinkles near
            your waist along the sides. These can be ignored, as you do not have
            any weight on them. I believe you will sleep much better. You can
            also experiment with opening your bag down to near the foot and using
            it as a quilt instead of as a bag. The extra insulation on top of
            you will be appreciated and the pad will keep you warm down to the
            sort of temps you are talking about. The hammock sides will keep the
            quilt on top of you. If you keep the last foot or so of the bag
            zipped, you can use that pocket to keep the quilt down over your feet.

            If you do try this, let us know how the experiment works out.

            Rick aka Flyfisher <><

          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
              David:

              First let me compliment you on your writing skills. Your
              post was a pleasure to read.

              I've used a variety of hammocks and pads, and share your
              dislike of the intrusive feeling of the pad, even when it's
              well-behaved. Here are the things I've experienced and
              observed. (My apologies to the rest of the list, who have
              heard me say these things many times already.)

              You may be able to eliminate the pad entirely if you get a
              Pea Pod sleeping bag from Ed Speer, or if you build one
              yourself. This is a bag that goes around the outside of the
              hammock. Since the insulation below you isn't compressed, it
              keeps working, and you stay warm. I've taken mine down to
              the low 40s without a pad.

              Alternately, you might add a Garlington Insulator shell and
              suitable insulating material to your rig.

              My simple hammocks (Tropical Hammock from Nomad Travel, and
              Crazy Crib from Crazy Creek) both have two layers of fabric.
              I slip my closed-cell foam pads between the layers, and they
              do stay put. The closed-cell foam conforms better to the
              hammock shape than a Therm-a-Rest.

              Sewing a liner onto your hammock would probably work, but
              take care to verify the required size by experiment, rather
              than relying strictly on calculation.

              When I sleep directly on top of a pad, I use a special
              technique for turning. I push my fist against the pad,
              support part of my upper body weight on my fist, turn my
              torso, then lower myself back to the pad and arrange my hips
              and feet. This keeps the pad under me. It's almost an
              unconscious move by now, and I doubt I even have to wake up
              to do it.

              Finally, I can recommend the Mountain Hardwear BackCountry
              in any length. This is a combination pad -- part
              closed-cell, part open-cell. It has a fabric casing. The
              casing is slippery on the bottom and grabby on the top, so
              it tends to follow me as I move. This is more a
              consideration for closed hammocks like the Hennessy.

              This pad also has a great shape for hammocking. All the
              extra corners and width are already removed. I've cut the
              corners from all my closed-cell pads so each is completely
              round at both ends. This shape also seems to do well in a
              hammock.

              Hope this helps you. There are LOTS of experienced and
              enthusiastic hammockers on this list, and you're bound to
              benefit from their knowledge. I sure do.

              Bear
            • David Chinell
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                Rob:

                Welcome to the group. I started hammocking by taking "picnic" hikes. I'd haul a heavy knotted-string hammock down a trail, eat my sandwich, and take a nap after lunch.

                I guess there are advantages to a rope hammock, but once I tried a cloth hammock, I've never looked back. They seem more comfortable, there's no tangle of strings to manage or get caught on, and solid cloth hammocks can be just a light, or even lighter than some string hammocks.

                You can plunge in headfirst and get a complete system like a Hennessy Hammock, or start with a basic hammock and add components as your requirements and pocketbook allow. You can make everything you need with very little effort.

                My first cloth hammock was the Tropical Hammock by Nomad Travel. You can get them from Brigade Quartermaster on the web, and from the Nomad Travel site as well. To this I added a polytarp, and a commercial mosquito net. In other words, I  assembled my first rig from bought pieces, none of which cost over $30 by itself.

                Another great way to start would be to buy Ed Speer's book. It has all the details you need to build a slick hammock system for yourself, again with very little effort, skill, or expense.

                Above all, try your own experiments and dream up your own schemes while you're out there, swinging beneath the sky. And let us know what works for you.

                Bear
              • robi dawson
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                  hi Everybody,

                  I, like Dave, am also new to the group.

                  I bumped into it on the Net when looking for info on making hammocks.

                  Any of you do that? More specifically I am interested in *net* hammocks as opposed to cloth ones. However, if you all think that is a waste of time let me know.

                  So, where does one sitting in Budapest Hungary - I am from Boston, but just happen to be living here for the next millennium - get started on hammocking. If I can get a nice set up made i will start using it to sleep out in and to camp in the very first chance I get.

                  Thanks all!

                  Rob
                • robi dawson
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                    Dave:

                    Cool, thanks for swift reply!

                    I am not very interested in buying anything already made. Numerous reasons,one being I have little to no spare money.

                    But more importantly I very much enjoy producing my own things. I have a winter hat, hand woven by my son when he was 9. To most it is extremely ugly, the colors do not match, the quality of the knitting, is well, what you would expect of a 9 year old. But it was hand made for me and I wear it with pride.

                    I truly enjoy making things and using them. So I will be making my own hammock. Your mention of tangles and what not in a rope hammock has already convinced me that cloth is the way to go.

                    do, other than the book by Speer, are there any other wealths of information. Possibly on line versions?

                    Like anything new, terminology is a bit confusing. Forgive me all if I ask what seem like boring/basic questions. I will only do so if I am not able to figure out what sg means....

                    Thank you again

                    Rob Dawson

                    At 10:38 AM 3/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    1033609.jpg
                    1033824.jpg

                  • David Chinell
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                      Gang: I personally don't have a list of cool hammocking websites. Can somebody point out some online resources to the newbies?

                      Bear
                    • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                        Hi dave,

                        Take a look at this page in Hammock Wiki:

                        http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Building_A_Hammock

                        and this page too:

                        http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl?Material_Lists

                        Like Bear said, the Ed Speer Book is a great resource for building
                        the hammock.

                        Flyfisher <><

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, robi dawson <beanco@m...>
                        wrote:
> [...]
                        > >
                        > >My first cloth hammock was the Tropical Hammock by Nomad Travel.
                        You can
                        > >get them from Brigade Quartermaster on the web, and from the Nomad
                        Travel
                        > >site as well. To this I added a polytarp, and a commercial
                        mosquito net.
                        > >In other words, I assembled my first rig from bought pieces, none
                        of
                        > >which cost over $30 by itself.
                        > >
                        > >Another great way to start would be to buy Ed Speer's book. It has
                        all the
                        > >details you need to build a slick hammock system for yourself,
                        again with
                        > >very little effort, skill, or expense.
                        > >
                        > >Above all, try your own experiments and dream up your own schemes
                        while
                        > >you're out there, swinging beneath the sky. And let us know what

                        705065843:HM/A=1464858/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/30
                        0_Cquo_1/g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>1033609.jpg
                        > >1033824.jpg

                      • blqysmg
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr <starnescr@y...>"
                          <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                          > Hi David

                          <snip>

                          > Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.
                          >
                          > Coy Boy

                          I'm from Georgia. I live in Holly Springs, a little town in between
                          Woodstock and Canton. That's north of Atlanta for all those who
                          aren't familiar with North Georgia.

                          Most of my camping is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. My
                          favorite spot is on the back side of Blood Mountain, just south of
                          the AT. We often hike some of the forest trails that cross the AT.
                          There are tons of isolated camp sites in the area. We like the Dicks
                          Creek area, because we can drive to it, and once there we usually
                          don't see anyone else.

                          One time we camped there for 9 days, and only saw four people the
                          whole time. It pays to be just a little off the beaten path.

                          David
                        • blqysmg <david.chamness@eds.com>
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                            What a great idea! I could snitch a piece of that from the cabinet.
                            Once the pad is in place, that should keep it there.

                            David

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen T. Gregorie"

                          • colonelcorn76
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                              wrote:

                              > I truly enjoy making things and using them. So I will be making my
                              own
                              > hammock. Your mention of tangles and what not in a rope hammock
                              has already
                              > convinced me that cloth is the way to go.
                              >
                              > do, other than the book by Speer, are there any other wealths of
                              > information. Possibly on line versions?

                              Check out: http://www.flyfisher-kayaks.com/cgi-bin/hwiki.pl

                              or
                              http://www.hammocksamerica.com/how_to_make_a_hammock/how_to_make_a_ha
                              mmock.html

                              or
                              http://www.uniqueprojects.com/projects/hammock/hammock.htm

                              or
                              http://www.shelter-systems.com/gripclips/hammock.html

                              That should get you started. ('Course the next question will be
                              where can I get "...." in this corner of the world <grin>)

                              Jim
                            • blqysmg <david.chamness@eds.com>
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                                Thanks Geoflyfisher!

                                I'll try the blue pad. I've had the therm-a-rest forever. It's the
                                best think I ever found for sleeping on the ground. I've had a
                                couple of the high-density foam pads, they are fine but didn't really
                                compare to the comfort of the therm-a-rest.

                                Now that I've found something for the comfort, the therm-a-rest is
                                most likely overkill. I used to have a good old army OD Green pad,
                                but I never used it. I had to give it back when I left. My therm-a-
                                rest was the same length (72") and OD Green, so I used it throughout
                                my army career.

                                The sleeping bag that I have is a mummy bag, and can't be used as a
                                quilt. It can, however, be opened at the feet as well as the head,
                                and has arm holes and a nice hood. For an all around summer bag, it
                                is really functional. I have a fleese blanket that I can take along
                                to cover me, if I need.

                                I think the Target blue pad is worthy of a try. If the weather co-
                                operates, and my wife doesn't object too much, maybe I'll give it a
                                shot this weekend.

                                David

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "geoflyfisher

                              • blqysmg
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                                  Thanks for the reply, Bear. I was thinking about the whole idea of
                                  the closed-cell pad (I'm thinking that's what this Target Blue Pad
                                  everyone talks about must be.) I never liked laying directly on my
                                  Army OD Green pad, and thought that maybe a cloth sleave would make
                                  some difference to the comfort level of it.

                                  I'll try the Target pad bare first, then look for alternitives if
                                  needed. I just saw a website (found it on this list) with an "under
                                  blanket," or liner for the bottom of the hammock. That seems to make
                                  the most sense, although it will be a good bit more work to put
                                  together.

                                  I'm thinking of trying one of my son's sleeping bags, opened up and
                                  held onto the bottom of the hammock with bungee cords.

                                  Between the blanket idea, and closed foam pads of some make, I'm sure
                                  I can stay comfy.

                                  David

                                • blqysmg
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                                    Robi,
                                    I don't want to discourage you from trying your own string hammock,
                                    but there is something you might want to consider. Most good string
                                    hammocks are made in the mayan style, and can use up to three miles
                                    of string!

                                    I've owned several, and they are a joy to behold. They aren't,
                                    however, any better than a good cloth hammock. For the cloth
                                    hammock, you could have one made in an hour or so if you have the
                                    cloth and access to a sewing machine. The cloth usually comes in 5
                                    foot wide sections, which just happens to be about perfect. Hem the
                                    edges, and sew a pocket on each end like you would for a curtain,
                                    except tripple sew it, and your done.

                                    With rope hammocks, the trick is to build a jig for making it. You
                                    need to decide how many strings you want across, and make a rack to
                                    hold and organize all of those strings. Then it's just a matter of
                                    weaving.

                                    A good craftsman, experienced in hammock making, can build a hammock
                                    by hand in less than a week. It would take me a month.

                                    It's worth thinking about.

                                    David

                                    wrote:
                                    > hi Everybody,
                                    >
                                    > I, like Dave, am also new to the group.
                                    >
                                    > I bumped into it on the Net when looking for info on making
                                    hammocks.

                                    > Any of you do that? More specifically I am interested in *net*
                                    hammocks as
                                    > opposed to cloth ones. However, if you all think that is a waste of
                                    time
                                    > let me know.
                                    >
                                    > So, where does one sitting in Budapest Hungary - I am from Boston,
                                    but just
                                    > happen to be living here for the next millennium - get started on
                                    > hammocking. If I can get a nice set up made i will start using it
                                    to sleep
                                    > out in and to camp in the very first chance I get.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks all!
                                    >
                                    > Rob
                                  • J Cornelius
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

                                       Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach sleep?  I’m a side sleeper and have a ¾  thermarest because I sleep almost fetal anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don’t know how that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I ever have!!!) so don’t like the idea of the thermarest scattering under my restlessness.

                                      Jodi who’s still learning this stuff but she did get her skins yesterday and can’t WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would cooperate

                                    • robi dawson
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                                        Jim,

                                        You hit the nail on the head!

                                        Where to get this material here!

                                        I will be looking hard, trying to find some!

                                        Robi
                                      • J Cornelius
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003

                                          Here’s some decent ones

                                          http://www.treehanger.com/index.html

                                          http://www.shire.net/mormon/hammock.html

                                          http://www.hennessyhammock.com/ (naturally)

                                          http://hikinghq.net/hammock/hammock.html (another “naturally”)

                                          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/NEWS.htm (and yet another)

                                          http://www.hammockcamping.com/Tips/Tips.htm (he’s good)

                                          http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/hammock.htm

                                          Jodi

                                          Abnormality IS the normality at this locality!

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                                            Mostly side sleep, an hour on one side, an hour on the other... I
                                            don't know how soundly I will sleep in the hammock once I get used to
                                            it. In the real cold (10 degree stuff I have been playing with) I
                                            sleep but not very soundly. I plan to continue the experiments
                                            tonight... we had a NICE 50 degree day today and it is only going
                                            down to the mid thirties... first time it has been that warm in
                                            months!

                                            Tonight's experiment will be with a wind shell and the reflectix
                                            pad. The weatherman is calling for a bunch of rain as well. I need
                                            to see if my center seam on the tarp is really waterproof.

                                            It is also a test of the ability of the homemade hammock tubes to
                                            shed water from the hammock ropes.

                                            <><

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
                                            wrote:
                                            > Hey Flyfisher – just wondering – do you back/side/ or stomach
                                            sleep?
                                            > I'm a side sleeper and have a ¾ thermarest because I sleep almost
                                            fetal
                                            > anyway – however, I am a VERY restless sleeper (though I don't know
                                            how
                                            > that works in the hammock – I could end up sleeping better than I
                                            ever
                                            > have!!!) so don't like the idea of the thermarest scattering under
                                            my
                                            > restlessness.
                                            >
                                            > Jodi who's still learning this stuff but she did get her skins
                                            yesterday
                                            > and can't WAIT to get her hammock set up – if only the weather would
                                            > cooperate
                                          • starnescr
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 4, 2003
                                              Hi again David

                                              Thats not to far from me in Northeast Al (Grant). I have a sister-in-
                                              law in Menlow just across the line and an uncle in Adairsville. You
                                              are smart. While the masses concentrate on the AT you are finding
                                              wilderness by skirting around it. The Pinhoti is much the same way.
                                              Not to well known. Ive hiked three days and only ran into a hand
                                              full of hikers and non on Thursday the first day out. Did a stretch
                                              of the AT inside the Smokeys last Oct and despite really cool
                                              weather we ran into lots of hikers. Full shelters every nite. I
                                              enjoy meeting folks but really enjoy the solitude more.

                                              <david.chamness@e...> wrote:
                                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr
                                              <starnescr@y...>"
                                              > <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                                              > > Hi David
                                              > >

                                              > <snip>
                                              >
                                              > > Now if you dont mind what state are you from. Were a nosy bunch.
                                              > >
                                              > > Coy Boy
                                              > >

                                              > I'm from Georgia. I live in Holly Springs, a little town in
                                              between
                                              > Woodstock and Canton. That's north of Atlanta for all those who
                                              > aren't familiar with North Georgia.
                                              >
                                              > Most of my camping is in the Chattahoochee National Forest. My
                                              > favorite spot is on the back side of Blood Mountain, just south of
                                              > the AT. We often hike some of the forest trails that cross the
                                              AT.
                                              > There are tons of isolated camp sites in the area. We like the
                                              Dicks
                                              > Creek area, because we can drive to it, and once there we usually
                                              > don't see anyone else.
                                              >
                                              > One time we camped there for 9 days, and only saw four people the
                                              > whole time. It pays to be just a little off the beaten path.
                                              >
                                              > David
                                            • Stephen T. Gregorie
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                                                walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                                                the trick for you.

                                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                              • navjohn@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                                                  In a message dated 3/5/03 10:00:11, stgga@... writes:

                                                  >Walmart sells fleece sleeping bags for $10 could do
                                                  >the trick for you.
                                                  I have one, and don't recommend them. The so-called "fleece" is poor quality
                                                  and not very warm. It might do for the middle of summer. One way to test
                                                  for good fleece is to hold it up to the light and see how thick or thin it
                                                  is. The Walmart fleece flunks.
                                                  John Wilson
                                                • navjohn@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Mar 5, 2003
                                                      I agree no good for a sleeping bag. I think it was
                                                      David who was looking for a cloth cover for a mat. As
                                                      a cover they're ok. Of course,if you spend more money
                                                      for better fleece that would make for a warmer nights
                                                      sleep.
                                                      steve

                                                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Mar 6, 2003
                                                        Message
                                                        David I second what Coy Boy says--most common sleep pads tend to slip out from beneath the user in a hammock.  . If possible avoid pads with smooth or slick surfaces--unfortunately the nylon covered self inflatables are a real problem.  Some foam pads also have a slick surface finish and should be avoided.  Fortunately some inexpensive foam pads are available, such as the Wal-Mart or Target varities mentioned frequently on this list.  In addition, several companies, including my Speer Hammocks, sell extra wide, thin 'grippy' foam pads that work well alone or in combo with other pads.  Qware also sells a similar pad. Other solutions also abound on this list. Hammp hammocking...Ed