Re: [Hammock Camping] Western Hammock Gathering

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
      Ummm, March 26th and 27th is not good, turns out that is EAster
      weekend this year. How about the first weekend in April instead??

      However, the Madera Canyon area sounds great for the hammock get
      together. I'm thinking the last weekend of March, the 26 and 27 might
      work but will need to confirm with my family first, I will know more
      in a few days.

    • wpick87506@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
        Hi

        I forgot about Easter. I guess the weekend of 19 March would be the best date then.

        Walter
      • Dylan Anderson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 5, 2005
          Easter would never work for me, not a chance my wife
          would allow me off then. March 19th works for me,
          however I think it did not work for Jamie. All the
          locations I have heard work in my opinion, and I can
          live with car camping if the majority favors it.
          Other than that, perhapse we do have to plan out in
          April though. Actually, on second thought, the 19th
          might not work, I will have to double check on it.
          Hmmm...

          -Dylan

          =====

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • wpick87506@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 8, 2005
            Hello Arizonans!

            We've been going back and forth about the dates. I have not heard from Jamie. What I got from the others is that March 26th is a no go due to Easter Sunday. And that the 19th may not be good either.

            Some have suggested rescheduling in April. The first two weekends in April are already booked for me (Search and Rescue Training and DMAT training). I would like to get a date pinned down (hopefully) by Monday morning because I have Monday off and can got down to Maderia Canyon to make the reservations, or is that pushing it for everyone?

            Walter
          • Dylan Anderson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
              Hey Walter, sorry I have been unable to check my mail
              so I know this is a bit late. So we are out to April
              now? I just came across another possible area, are
              you familiar with Happy Valley? I am told it is just
              about 50 miles east of Tucson, and that it is very
              scenic indeed. April I here there should even be a
              number of waterfalls flowing at that time of the year.
              However I have not had a chance to look anything more
              about it up. Would that be an area worth going, and
              do you know anything more about it?

              =====

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • wpick87506@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                Hi

                I've heard of Happy Velley. I've never been there. It sounds wonderful. I just wonder what the weather may be like in April? The waterfalls should be running full now. I don't know what they would be like then. What do the others think?

                Walter
              • Chuck Haak
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005

                  Hi All,

                  I should check in as a fellow Arizona hammock hanger who knows a little bit about Happy Valley. It is a nice place, very scenic, good access to some trails up into the Rincon Mountains especially up to Rincon Peak. There are a number of good campsites as you drive along the road. When I was there, I noticed one creek that crossed the road that looked worthy of a boulder hopping explore. April in Arizona can hardly be beat and a full moon would make it even better. Some of the sycamore trees are about 8’ in diameter so you might want to bring looong strap extenders.

                  Chuck Haak

                  chuckhaak@...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 11, 2005
                    As I said, someone just recomended it to me as a place
                    to check out. I could do it, or your suggestion too
                    Walter. I don't know what others prefer, but do we
                    have anyone who can commit to a weekend yet?

                    =====

                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                  • wpick87506@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 11, 2005
                      Hi

                      Still no commitments to any weekends yet.

                      Walter
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                        Okay so it seams like we are really struggling here AZers. Let's get
                        our ducks in a row. April is what's on the table right? I'm in for
                        16/17, 23/24 or 30/1.

                        I would prefer Madera since I want to attempt Mt. Wrightson but I
                        have heard really wonderful things about Happy Valley too so either
                        is fine by me. Let's decide on both issues so we can make some solid
                        plans before this ends up being a 2006 hanging event!!! :)

                        By the way, I have not heard from adrnlnjnky on this either. AJ are
                        you planning to join us? Also, what about you Chuck?

                        jamie d