Re: To Cat or not to Cat, was re:Tyvek

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 3, 2005
      Okay, that fits with what I was thinking. It seems like a
      (deliberate) catenary ridge line is not needed to keep flapping down
      at the ridge of the tarp. On the other hand, it would be very
      helpful on the edges, so I'll just go with that.

      Thanks everyone for the input.

      Bill in Houston

      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

      > > Did you ever get around to making one with a catenary ridgeline?
      > >
      > > Bill in Houston
      >
      > Nope, I made them with straight ridgelines and cat cut sides. The
      result though, under a
      > taught pitch, is a curved ridgeline, lending to its ability to shed
      rain and wind, keeping it
      > quite and you dry.
      >
      > It might be interesting to try a cat cut ridge line, from a
      curiosity/science perspective, but
      > my observations in the field show it is not needed. If you look at
      some of my pics or
      > Brians (of MacCat fame) pics, you'll see the slight ridge curve,
      despite being cut and sew
      > straight.
      >
      > My $0.02
      >
      > Shane "Mirage"...
    • Admin
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 20, 2005
        Well, I actually find the hanging method to be quite easy. I use rolled kraft paper for my
        patterns and a lightweight metal decorative chain purchased at a home improvement
        warehouse. Instead of relying on a wall that's as long as I need for the curve, I have a 1" x
        12" x 10' board that I use to put everything on (I store it against the wall behind the couch
        in the living room so it's out of the way and out of sight when not in use). I cut the paper
        into strips 10 inches wide (the paper comes in 30" width), and use 2 spring-loaded clamps
        ($3 each) to hold the paper to the board. Then I measure the center point, how far down I
        want the curve to go, and mark where I want the chain to hang. Open one clamp slightly
        and slide one end of the chain under it. Pull the chain until it is as taut as it needs to be
        for the curve, stick it under the other clamp, and trace the line. Setup time is about 5
        minutes and drawing the curve takes another minute. It's also very easy to adjust the
        chain.

        Not knocking the templates. I just wanted to share that it can be done easily with the
        right supplies.

        -howie