Re: [Hammock Camping] Western Hammock Gathering

  • wpick87506@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
      Hey Dylan (and All Arizonans)

      I think the best would be base camp. I understand what you're saying. I think this way, we can please everyone (Would anyone be upset if someone brought their family?).

      Ok, I'm going way out on a limb and suggest the weekends of March 19th or the 26th.
      Since I'm closest to the Santa Rita's I'm volunteering to make the reservations with the Rangers down there. I'll need a date & how many are coming.

      BTW Phoenicians,Tempeites and ASU fans; what happened to that 'good' basketball team that came down to Tucson thinking they can play the Cats!!! What was the score again? 97-76?

      BEAR DOWN!

      Walter
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
        I will hopefully be snow camping the weekend of Jan 22nd and 23rd and
        testing the HH Supershelter in some nippy conditions so Devils Chasm
        will have to wait for me. However, the Madera Canyon area sounds
        great for the hammock get together. I'm thinking the last weekend of
        March, the 26 and 27 might work but will need to confirm with my
        family first, I will know more in a few days.

        How does that sound to the rest of you fellas?

        jamie in az

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
        wrote:
        > Well location sounds good to me. What weekend then?
        > And are you saying it is not a backpack? Oh, and this
        > month, the weekend of the 22, the Arizona Hikers are
        > making a trip out to Devil's Chasm in the Sierra
        > Anchas. It is to be a day hike to the fantastic ruins
        > back up in that canyon. There is also what appears to
        > be a huge cave I intended to check out. If any of you
        > are free that weekend and interested in going, I was
        > thinking it would be awsome to take the hammocks and
        > make it an overnighter to have more time to photograph
        > and hang out, but I do not want to stay overnight if I
        > would be by my self. Also, to camp out virtually
        > requires a hammock as there is not a flat foot of
        > ground anywhere that I can remember seeing last time.
        >
        > -Dylan
        >
        > =====
        > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
        that once I did know true love -unknown

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
          I agree with the base camp idea. Families are totally welcome of
          course. As for b-ball, I guess the basketball gods where focusing on
          the womens team becuase the lady sun devils scortched the lady cats -
          69-47. :)

          jamie in az

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, wpick87506@a... wrote:
          > Hey Dylan (and All Arizonans)
          >
          > I think the best would be base camp. I understand what you're
          saying. I
          > think this way, we can please everyone (Would anyone be upset if
          someone brought
          > their family?).
          >
          > Ok, I'm going way out on a limb and suggest the weekends of March
          19th or
          > the 26th.
          > Since I'm closest to the Santa Rita's I'm volunteering to make the
          > reservations with the Rangers down there. I'll need a date & how
          many are coming.

          > BTW Phoenicians,Tempeites and ASU fans; what happened to
          that 'good'
          > basketball team that came down to Tucson thinking they can play the
          Cats!!! What was
          > the score again? 97-76?
          >
          > BEAR DOWN!
          >
          > Walter
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
            Ummm, March 26th and 27th is not good, turns out that is EAster
            weekend this year. How about the first weekend in April instead??

          • wpick87506@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
              Hi

              I forgot about Easter. I guess the weekend of 19 March would be the best date then.

              Walter
            • Dylan Anderson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 5, 2005
                Easter would never work for me, not a chance my wife
                would allow me off then. March 19th works for me,
                however I think it did not work for Jamie. All the
                locations I have heard work in my opinion, and I can
                live with car camping if the majority favors it.
                Other than that, perhapse we do have to plan out in
                April though. Actually, on second thought, the 19th
                might not work, I will have to double check on it.
                Hmmm...

                -Dylan

                =====

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • wpick87506@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 8, 2005
                  Hello Arizonans!

                  We've been going back and forth about the dates. I have not heard from Jamie. What I got from the others is that March 26th is a no go due to Easter Sunday. And that the 19th may not be good either.

                  Some have suggested rescheduling in April. The first two weekends in April are already booked for me (Search and Rescue Training and DMAT training). I would like to get a date pinned down (hopefully) by Monday morning because I have Monday off and can got down to Maderia Canyon to make the reservations, or is that pushing it for everyone?

                  Walter
                • Dylan Anderson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                    Hey Walter, sorry I have been unable to check my mail
                    so I know this is a bit late. So we are out to April
                    now? I just came across another possible area, are
                    you familiar with Happy Valley? I am told it is just
                    about 50 miles east of Tucson, and that it is very
                    scenic indeed. April I here there should even be a
                    number of waterfalls flowing at that time of the year.
                    However I have not had a chance to look anything more
                    about it up. Would that be an area worth going, and
                    do you know anything more about it?

                    =====

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • wpick87506@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                      Hi

                      I've heard of Happy Velley. I've never been there. It sounds wonderful. I just wonder what the weather may be like in April? The waterfalls should be running full now. I don't know what they would be like then. What do the others think?

                      Walter
                    • Chuck Haak
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005

                        Hi All,

                        I should check in as a fellow Arizona hammock hanger who knows a little bit about Happy Valley. It is a nice place, very scenic, good access to some trails up into the Rincon Mountains especially up to Rincon Peak. There are a number of good campsites as you drive along the road. When I was there, I noticed one creek that crossed the road that looked worthy of a boulder hopping explore. April in Arizona can hardly be beat and a full moon would make it even better. Some of the sycamore trees are about 8’ in diameter so you might want to bring looong strap extenders.

                        Chuck Haak

                        chuckhaak@...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 11, 2005
                          As I said, someone just recomended it to me as a place
                          to check out. I could do it, or your suggestion too
                          Walter. I don't know what others prefer, but do we
                          have anyone who can commit to a weekend yet?

                          =====

                          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                        • wpick87506@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 11, 2005
                            Hi

                            Still no commitments to any weekends yet.

                            Walter
                          • chcoa
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                              Okay so it seams like we are really struggling here AZers. Let's get
                              our ducks in a row. April is what's on the table right? I'm in for
                              16/17, 23/24 or 30/1.

                              I would prefer Madera since I want to attempt Mt. Wrightson but I
                              have heard really wonderful things about Happy Valley too so either
                              is fine by me. Let's decide on both issues so we can make some solid
                              plans before this ends up being a 2006 hanging event!!! :)

                              By the way, I have not heard from adrnlnjnky on this either. AJ are
                              you planning to join us? Also, what about you Chuck?

                              jamie d