Re: [Hammock Camping] Western Hammock Gathering

  • Dylan Anderson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
      Well location sounds good to me. What weekend then?
      And are you saying it is not a backpack? Oh, and this
      month, the weekend of the 22, the Arizona Hikers are
      making a trip out to Devil's Chasm in the Sierra
      Anchas. It is to be a day hike to the fantastic ruins
      back up in that canyon. There is also what appears to
      be a huge cave I intended to check out. If any of you
      are free that weekend and interested in going, I was
      thinking it would be awsome to take the hammocks and
      make it an overnighter to have more time to photograph
      and hang out, but I do not want to stay overnight if I
      would be by my self. Also, to camp out virtually
      requires a hammock as there is not a flat foot of
      ground anywhere that I can remember seeing last time.

      -Dylan

      =====

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • wpick87506@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
        Hey Dylan (and All Arizonans)

        I think the best would be base camp. I understand what you're saying. I think this way, we can please everyone (Would anyone be upset if someone brought their family?).

        Ok, I'm going way out on a limb and suggest the weekends of March 19th or the 26th.
        Since I'm closest to the Santa Rita's I'm volunteering to make the reservations with the Rangers down there. I'll need a date & how many are coming.

        BTW Phoenicians,Tempeites and ASU fans; what happened to that 'good' basketball team that came down to Tucson thinking they can play the Cats!!! What was the score again? 97-76?

        BEAR DOWN!

        Walter
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
          I will hopefully be snow camping the weekend of Jan 22nd and 23rd and
          testing the HH Supershelter in some nippy conditions so Devils Chasm
          will have to wait for me. However, the Madera Canyon area sounds
          great for the hammock get together. I'm thinking the last weekend of
          March, the 26 and 27 might work but will need to confirm with my
          family first, I will know more in a few days.

          How does that sound to the rest of you fellas?

          jamie in az

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dylan Anderson <hum469@y...>
          wrote:
          > Well location sounds good to me. What weekend then?
          > And are you saying it is not a backpack? Oh, and this
          > month, the weekend of the 22, the Arizona Hikers are
          > making a trip out to Devil's Chasm in the Sierra
          > Anchas. It is to be a day hike to the fantastic ruins
          > back up in that canyon. There is also what appears to
          > be a huge cave I intended to check out. If any of you
          > are free that weekend and interested in going, I was
          > thinking it would be awsome to take the hammocks and
          > make it an overnighter to have more time to photograph
          > and hang out, but I do not want to stay overnight if I
          > would be by my self. Also, to camp out virtually
          > requires a hammock as there is not a flat foot of
          > ground anywhere that I can remember seeing last time.
          >
          > -Dylan
          >
          > =====
          > Though I may die tomorrow, at least I can do it with the knowledge
          that once I did know true love -unknown

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
            I agree with the base camp idea. Families are totally welcome of
            course. As for b-ball, I guess the basketball gods where focusing on
            the womens team becuase the lady sun devils scortched the lady cats -
            69-47. :)

            jamie in az

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, wpick87506@a... wrote:
            > Hey Dylan (and All Arizonans)
            >
            > I think the best would be base camp. I understand what you're
            saying. I
            > think this way, we can please everyone (Would anyone be upset if
            someone brought
            > their family?).
            >
            > Ok, I'm going way out on a limb and suggest the weekends of March
            19th or
            > the 26th.
            > Since I'm closest to the Santa Rita's I'm volunteering to make the
            > reservations with the Rangers down there. I'll need a date & how
            many are coming.

            > BTW Phoenicians,Tempeites and ASU fans; what happened to
            that 'good'
            > basketball team that came down to Tucson thinking they can play the
            Cats!!! What was
            > the score again? 97-76?
            >
            > BEAR DOWN!
            >
            > Walter
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
              Ummm, March 26th and 27th is not good, turns out that is EAster
              weekend this year. How about the first weekend in April instead??

            • wpick87506@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                Hi

                I forgot about Easter. I guess the weekend of 19 March would be the best date then.

                Walter
              • Dylan Anderson
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 5, 2005
                  Easter would never work for me, not a chance my wife
                  would allow me off then. March 19th works for me,
                  however I think it did not work for Jamie. All the
                  locations I have heard work in my opinion, and I can
                  live with car camping if the majority favors it.
                  Other than that, perhapse we do have to plan out in
                  April though. Actually, on second thought, the 19th
                  might not work, I will have to double check on it.
                  Hmmm...

                  -Dylan

                  =====

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • wpick87506@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 8, 2005
                    Hello Arizonans!

                    We've been going back and forth about the dates. I have not heard from Jamie. What I got from the others is that March 26th is a no go due to Easter Sunday. And that the 19th may not be good either.

                    Some have suggested rescheduling in April. The first two weekends in April are already booked for me (Search and Rescue Training and DMAT training). I would like to get a date pinned down (hopefully) by Monday morning because I have Monday off and can got down to Maderia Canyon to make the reservations, or is that pushing it for everyone?

                    Walter
                  • Dylan Anderson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                      Hey Walter, sorry I have been unable to check my mail
                      so I know this is a bit late. So we are out to April
                      now? I just came across another possible area, are
                      you familiar with Happy Valley? I am told it is just
                      about 50 miles east of Tucson, and that it is very
                      scenic indeed. April I here there should even be a
                      number of waterfalls flowing at that time of the year.
                      However I have not had a chance to look anything more
                      about it up. Would that be an area worth going, and
                      do you know anything more about it?

                      =====

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • wpick87506@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                        Hi

                        I've heard of Happy Velley. I've never been there. It sounds wonderful. I just wonder what the weather may be like in April? The waterfalls should be running full now. I don't know what they would be like then. What do the others think?

                        Walter
                      • Chuck Haak
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005

                          Hi All,

                          I should check in as a fellow Arizona hammock hanger who knows a little bit about Happy Valley. It is a nice place, very scenic, good access to some trails up into the Rincon Mountains especially up to Rincon Peak. There are a number of good campsites as you drive along the road. When I was there, I noticed one creek that crossed the road that looked worthy of a boulder hopping explore. April in Arizona can hardly be beat and a full moon would make it even better. Some of the sycamore trees are about 8’ in diameter so you might want to bring looong strap extenders.

                          Chuck Haak

                          chuckhaak@...

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 11, 2005
                            As I said, someone just recomended it to me as a place
                            to check out. I could do it, or your suggestion too
                            Walter. I don't know what others prefer, but do we
                            have anyone who can commit to a weekend yet?

                            =====

                            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                          • wpick87506@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 11, 2005
                              Hi

                              Still no commitments to any weekends yet.

                              Walter
                            • chcoa
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 13, 2005
                                Okay so it seams like we are really struggling here AZers. Let's get
                                our ducks in a row. April is what's on the table right? I'm in for
                                16/17, 23/24 or 30/1.

                                I would prefer Madera since I want to attempt Mt. Wrightson but I
                                have heard really wonderful things about Happy Valley too so either
                                is fine by me. Let's decide on both issues so we can make some solid
                                plans before this ends up being a 2006 hanging event!!! :)

                                By the way, I have not heard from adrnlnjnky on this either. AJ are
                                you planning to join us? Also, what about you Chuck?

                                jamie d