Re: ...Tyvek tarp

  • Mirage
    Message 1 of 32 , Jan 2, 2005
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda" <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

      > Mirage,
      >
      > How did the tyvek tarp work out? (I realize this is an ancient
      > thread.)
      >
      > I found the link to your catenary cut tarp. Nice work. I'm hoping
      > to make one in the next couple of weeks.

      Worked out fine, though I have only used it twice. It's noisy as heck, even w/out the wind,
      so I think that is the greatest drawback. since making my SilNyl tarps, I won't go back to
      it.

      I still have it, and used it for a while as a template for my SilNyl ones, but I now use a
      paper pattern I made, it's quiter ;)

      Shane "Mirage"...
    • Admin
      Message 32 of 32 , Jan 20, 2005
        Well, I actually find the hanging method to be quite easy. I use rolled kraft paper for my
        patterns and a lightweight metal decorative chain purchased at a home improvement
        warehouse. Instead of relying on a wall that's as long as I need for the curve, I have a 1" x
        12" x 10' board that I use to put everything on (I store it against the wall behind the couch
        in the living room so it's out of the way and out of sight when not in use). I cut the paper
        into strips 10 inches wide (the paper comes in 30" width), and use 2 spring-loaded clamps
        ($3 each) to hold the paper to the board. Then I measure the center point, how far down I
        want the curve to go, and mark where I want the chain to hang. Open one clamp slightly
        and slide one end of the chain under it. Pull the chain until it is as taut as it needs to be
        for the curve, stick it under the other clamp, and trace the line. Setup time is about 5
        minutes and drawing the curve takes another minute. It's also very easy to adjust the
        chain.

        Not knocking the templates. I just wanted to share that it can be done easily with the
        right supplies.

        -howie