Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: WesternHammock Gathering

  • Dylan Anderson
    Message 1 of 36 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hey Walter
      For all the camping I have done, it may come as a
      surprise to some that I have never done either one of
      those areas.

      As to car camp or hike/backpack, I am of the opinion
      that hammocks have re-energized my interest in
      backpacking. With the lighter weights, the greater
      flexibility in finding neat camp sites, and the
      freedom I feel as a result, I sort of feel like car
      camping would be a little defeating of the point.
      With that being said though, any hike into a camp site
      does not need to be a monster. I don't know what
      everyone's skill and endurance is when it comes to
      backpacking so a short one would be fine.

      Alright, so in either mountain range you suggested
      what would be a few hikes we could do, what could I
      photograph there, and when do you think would be the
      best time to go? I only talked of the weekends
      through the next 2-3 months because that is all I knew
      about everbody's scheduals and it is hard for me to
      plan further out than that at the moment.

      -Dylan

      =====

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • chcoa
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 2, 2005
        I'm in for both places as well and any kind of camping set up is fine
        with me. I'm trying to summit the 20 highest peaks (with trails) in
        AZ so if we do something around the Santa Catalinas my vote is for
        something a little higher up with a day hike to the MT. Lemmon summit
        and if we go to the Santa Ritas I'd like to hit Mt. Wrightson. But
        if you guys aren't up for any of those trails then I'm fine kicking
        back at a car campsite too and just enjoying the breeze.

        jamie in az

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, wpick87506@a... wrote:
        > Hi All
        >
        > The weekends listed are good for me. Although I wonder what the
        weather
        > would be like in Feb. As to location, I would like to suggest the
        Santa Rita
        > Mountains south of Tucson, i.e. Maderia Canyon. Or the Sabino
        Canyon basin in the