Silnylon vs DWR

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2004
      How can you tell the difference between silnylon and DWR?

      I just got 25+ yds from the dollar rack at Wally world. I can't
      breathe through it, and I'm assuming it's DWR but how can I tell for
      sure it's not silnylon?

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2004
        jwj32542 wrote:

        >How can you tell the difference between silnylon and DWR?
        >
        >I just got 25+ yds from the dollar rack at Wally world. I can't
        >breathe through it, and I'm assuming it's DWR but how can I tell for
        >sure it's not silnylon?
        >
        >Jeff

        One difference I have found: Silnylon does not fray. DWR ripstop frays
        like crazy.

        Risk
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
          > How can you tell the difference between silnylon and DWR?
          >
          > I just got 25+ yds from the dollar rack at Wally world. I can't
          > breathe through it, and I'm assuming it's DWR but how can I tell
          for
          > sure it's not silnylon?
          >
          > Jeff

          DWR treated nylon just looks like uncoated fabric, but water will
          bead up and run off.

          Coated nylon fabric is smooth on the inside where the waterproof
          coating is, and has plain fabric outside. (This is your classic
          stuffsack/packcloth material.)

          Silicone impregnated nylon looks the same on both sides, with
          individual fabric threads being hard to see (but any ripstop threads
          show up plainly). It looks and feels like a cross between nylon and
          a rubber baloon--sort of shiney and stretchy--and is quite
          unmistakable once you've seen some. (If there is a gear store in
          your area go have a look at the sylny stuffsacks.)

          Doug Frost