Bolt from the blue...

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 28, 2004
      So today I was standing outside committing suicide with tobacco and it
      suddenly occurred to me what I should write my HammockCampingNewsletter
      article about. Then I started to panic... What's my size limit? I can get
      long winded...

      Shane
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 28, 2004

        Not to worry Shane.  We can always make a long article into sections continued in the next newsletter!  Write on, my friend…..Ed

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 29, 2004
          > Not to worry Shane. We can always make a long article into sections
          continued in
          > the next newsletter! Write on, my friend...Ed

          LOL! You asked for it... ;)

          (Don't say nothin' Ralph...)

          Shane
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 29, 2004
            Ed, don't you mean next newsletter(s). Shane is serious when he says
            long winded. :)

            jamie in az

            > Not to worry Shane. We can always make a long article into sections
            > continued in the next newsletter! Write on, my friend...Ed
            >

            > _____

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129fd411l/M=294855.5468653.6549235.300117
            6/D=gr

            oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1104358289/A=2455396/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*http:
            /small
            > business.yahoo.com/domains/> click here
            >

            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
            > :HM/A=2455396/rand=741441059>
            >

            > _____

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004

              OK, I need all the help I can get anyway, so “Newsletters” it is Shane.  Shane, with Jamie on your side, you have to write now…J    …Ed

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com , "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
              > Not to worry Shane.  We can always make a long article into sections
              > continued in the next newsletter!  Write on, my friend...Ed
              >

              >   _____

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

            • Shane
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                > OK, I need all the help I can get anyway, so "Newsletters" it is Shane.

                You got it.

                > Shane, with Jamie on your side, you have to write now.J .Ed

                She ain't lyin... The work I put out for Christmass this year, which is
                usually just a few pages was 120 pages long. I wound up putting it on my
                website because I couldn't afford to mail them everywhere...

                Shane
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004

                  Not to worry—so the editor may have his work cut out for him, no problem.  You have the chance to be the first guest contributor!  I’m excited—we’re all anxious to read what you might have to say Shane.

                  The next newsletter is coming out the 3rd or 4th of Jan.  It will feature an article about our Springer Mtn campout.…Ed

                  > OK, I need all the help I can get anyway, so "Newsletters" it is Shane.

                  You got it.

                  > Shane, with Jamie on your side, you have to write now.J    .Ed

                  She ain't lyin...  The work I put out for Christmass this year, which is
                  usually just a few pages was 120 pages long.  I wound up putting it on my
                  website because I couldn't afford to mail them everywhere...

                  Shane

                • Adrnlnjnky
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                    So lets just get down to brass tacks here. Shane is your new writer
                    and his weekly commontary will drag on and on, much like Andy
                    ?Runny?). But Shane generaly has inteligent and/or interesting things
                    to say so it'll be a good thing.

                    You better watch out Ed, first it's a guest writer next thing you know
                    you have international distribuitons, and then all of a sudden we se
                    Ed on stage accepting an award for hig great magazine.

                    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:42:24 -0500, Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:

                    > Not to worry—so the editor may have his work cut out for him, no problem.
                    > You have the chance to be the first guest contributor! I'm excited—we're
                    > all anxious to read what you might have to say Shane.
                    >

                    > The next newsletter is coming out the 3rd or 4th of Jan. It will feature an
                    > article about our Springer Mtn campout.…Ed
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                    Tom Peltier

                    In the winter we play on the frozen snow and
                    in the spring we play on the unfrozen snow!!
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                      Shane wrote:

                      >>OK, I need all the help I can get anyway, so "Newsletters" it is Shane.
                      >>

                      >You got it.
                      >

                      >>Shane, with Jamie on your side, you have to write now.J .Ed
                      >>

                      >She ain't lyin... The work I put out for Christmass this year, which is
                      >usually just a few pages was 120 pages long. I wound up putting it on my
                      >website because I couldn't afford to mail them everywhere...
                      >
                      >Shane

                      Shane, If you write as short as you can stand, maybe it will sneak in
                      Ed's "as long as he can stand" standard.

                      Rick
                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                        Hey, I was out camping (yurt, no hammock), but I would like to thank
                        Jamie for stepping in. :]

                        Of course it would be more polite to describe Shanes writing as
                        comprehensive rather than long winded.

                        Ralph

                        On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 06:35:44 -0000, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:

                        > Ed, don't you mean next newsletter(s). Shane is serious when he says
                        > long winded. :)
                        >
                        > jamie in az
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@s...> wrote:
                        > > Not to worry Shane. We can always make a long article into sections
                        > > continued in the next newsletter! Write on, my friend...Ed
                        > >

                        > > _____

                      • Adrnlnjnky
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                          Comprehensively long winded?

                          Perhaps we could say the unabridged version?

                          He makes Steven King seem direct!!

                          O.K. sorry now I"m getting carried away'

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004

                            These things happen—LOL….Ed

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                              > Of course it would be more polite to describe Shanes writing as
                              > comprehensive rather than long winded.

                              I'm going to start on Monday. I intend to describe the philosophic
                              mysteries of hammock hanging.

                              Shane
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004

                                Write on!   ….Ed

                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                                  Shane Steinkamp wrote:

                                  >>Of course it would be more polite to describe Shanes writing as
                                  >>comprehensive rather than long winded.
                                  >>

                                  >I'm going to start on Monday. I intend to describe the philosophic
                                  >mysteries of hammock hanging.
                                  >
                                  >Shane

                                  OK. Perhaps your second installment could be on the "shoot-em-up"
                                  mysteries of hammock hanging.

                                  Risk
                                • Shane Steinkamp
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                                    > OK. Perhaps your second installment could be on the "shoot-em-up"
                                    > mysteries of hammock hanging.

                                    Well, that's not very ambitious... Hmmm...

                                    A tenter and a hammocker drew shelters at 20 paces? Like, who would want to
                                    see that? I mean...it would be so...pathetic...

                                    A little more ambitious might be something epic...something religious...

                                    And the Lord, seeing the plight of Man (and Woman!) from on high, and seeing
                                    that the little ones were cold at night, took pity, and dispatched to them
                                    an Angel saying, "The little ones shiver, the men suffer pains, and the
                                    women are forever restless. Their cries and prayers in the night keep me
                                    awake. Go, ye, therefore and shelter my children!"

                                    The Angel of the Lord did descend and seeing the plight of the people,
                                    wondered what to do. And LO!, before him appeared Omar the Tent Maker and
                                    sayeth to the Angel of the Lord, "Behold! I am your humble servant Omar!
                                    Allow me to demonstrate my warez!" The Angel of the Lord listened to Omar
                                    the Tent Maker, and his words seemed pure and good, and the Angel of the
                                    Lord was taken in by Omar's sales pitch. Alas! The Angel of the Lord did
                                    not know that in truth Omar was none other than the Devil's Own Minion - the
                                    Unholy Demon of Sleepless Nights.

                                    It came to pass that The Angel of the Lord did cause Omar's sales to rise,
                                    and the Children of the Lord were sheltered from the wind and the cold - but
                                    the Devil laughed in the forest for the Children of God were still restless
                                    upon the ground. He even went so far as to meet with his minion and devise
                                    the cruelest of devices - the Bivy.

                                    The Angel of the Lord did return and say unto the lord, "Behold! Thy
                                    Children shiver no more!" And the Lord did look down from On High, and
                                    LOOK! Indeed the Children did not shiver! That night, though, the prayers
                                    of the people did come to the Lord, and he looked down and saw that while
                                    the Children did not shiver, the People were still afflicted upon the stony
                                    ground!

                                    The Lord was filled with Anger and Righteous Indignation, and demanded, "Who
                                    has done this!? Who has done this!?" The Devil and Omar laughed and
                                    laughed, and ran among the people and gloated; and they mocked the Children
                                    of the Lord with many mockings, and sold them heavy sleeping pads that did
                                    devlop many leaks.

                                    And, LO! The Lord did appear before them and in his Righteous Anger, he did
                                    smite the Unholy Tent Demon with a mighty smiting and Cursed the Unholy Tent
                                    Demon with many Curses! The Lord said to him, "You! You! You who have
                                    caused my Children to lay low upon the stony ground! Cursed are ye! For
                                    your Treacharery in causing Man (and Woman!) to spend restless nights, you
                                    yourself will never partake of my Restful Bliss!"

                                    And LO! The Lord Himself drew forth from his own Holy Pack a Blessing of
                                    Many Blessings, and the people called the blessing Hammock to forever remind
                                    them that upon seing it they cried aloud, "HA!", and then mocked the Unholy
                                    Tent Demon with many mockings. The Tent Demon howled a terrible howl, and
                                    being thus accursed, raged against the Men and Women of the Holy Hammock,
                                    but all his cries were for Naught.

                                    The Children of the Lord, being brought into Restful Bliss, had been saved
                                    from a fate worse than death - the Mortal Sin of Ground Sleeping. And the
                                    People did Sigh a Restful Sigh.

                                    As time went on, though, the People began to Murmur. "It is cold at night,
                                    and we have no underquilt!" It was in this way that Omar lead away many
                                    with promises of "It's lighter!" and "Half off after Giftmas!"

                                    The Lord came to hear of it, and was saddened. "My People! My People!
                                    Again they sleep upon the ground... I will send among them a Prophet!"

                                    Hmmm... I might go to hell if I keep going with this. I be they don't have
                                    hammocks in hell...

                                    Shane
                                  • chcoa
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 30, 2004
                                      Brother Shane you are too much. Did you just whip that up? That was
                                      great.

                                      jamie in az

                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 31, 2004
                                        I see nothing blasphemous about this. In fact, I like it a lot. And, Oh
                                        by the Way, it looks like just the right length for Ed's Newsletter and
                                        perfectly on topic. I nominate it for an upcoming newsletter.

                                        Risk

                                      • Shane Steinkamp
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 31, 2004
                                          > Brother Shane you are too much. Did you just whip that up? That was
                                          > great.

                                          Yeah, it just kind of comes out of me. I've got about 40 pages of that in
                                          my head now...

                                          Shane
                                        • Shane Steinkamp
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 31, 2004
                                            > I see nothing blasphemous about this. In fact, I like it a lot. And, Oh
                                            > by the Way, it looks like just the right length for Ed's Newsletter and
                                            > perfectly on topic. I nominate it for an upcoming newsletter.

                                            I'd have to rework it a little... I'd also be sensitive to the idea that it
                                            might be offensive to some of the readership. I mean, if I post something,
                                            then that's just me, and if somebody don't like it I can handle that. If it
                                            goes out in the newsletter, then that reflects on the whole setup, not just
                                            me...

                                            Shane
                                          • Dave Bellinski
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 3, 2005

                                              Well this is one Southern Baptist that enjoyed the heck out of First Shane.

                                              Write-on.

                                              Light'ning