Jacks R Better

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
      I am still seeking direction. I posted last week regarding sleeping
      system and also have been reading lots and lots of post on this
      site. Thusfar, this is the direction I am leaning. JRB have a 3
      season set up (nest & quilt no sniveler). I am thinking about
      changing out the no sniveler quilt with old rag mnt quilt due to
      extra down in the later. I have several concerns/questions. At what
      temp range will this setup be? If pad is added/used (therm-a-rest
      pro lite) would that give extra warmth? Would swapping the quilts
      (no sniveler vs old rag mnt) make a difference. Is anyone using this
      combo? Since I have always used a mummy bag, will I have trouble
      adjusting to quilt? Are there any other suggestions for similiar
      sleep system. Have a Happy New Year!
      Rob
    • jack_tier
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rebraswell@y...> wrote:

        > I am still seeking direction. I posted last week regarding
        sleeping
        > system and also have been reading lots and lots of post on this
        > site. Thusfar, this is the direction I am leaning. JRB have a 3
        > season set up (nest & quilt no sniveler). I am thinking about
        > changing out the no sniveler quilt with old rag mnt quilt due to
        > extra down in the later. I have several concerns/questions. At
        what
        > temp range will this setup be? If pad is added/used (therm-a-rest
        > pro lite) would that give extra warmth? Would swapping the quilts
        > (no sniveler vs old rag mnt) make a difference. Is anyone using
        this
        > combo? Since I have always used a mummy bag, will I have trouble
        > adjusting to quilt? Are there any other suggestions for similiar
        > sleep system. Have a Happy New Year!
        > Rob

        Rob,

        Too date no one has just a Nest and Old Rag Mtn Quilt. The main
        issue with that combo is that the Old Rag Mtn is loss of some
        flexibility. The ORM is not designed to also function as an under
        quilt. This means that you loose the "double up the bottom"
        option. By its self the ORM is about a 20 degree quilt…Sides stay
        tucked in a hammock. Ground sleeper will experience some air leaks
        if they toss and turn…IMHO quilts are easy to adjust to for a
        hammocker….most who tried quilts right after Jardine first published
        Beyond Backpacking were ground sleepers and many gave up on quilts…
        Also, if one sleeps with ones head and face inside a mummy bag ( not
        a good ideas as it loads moisture into the bag) it will take some
        effort to get used to a quilt…a good balaclava is the key to
        enjoying the quilt.

        Recommend reading the articles on www.jacksrbetter.com . They will
        give you a good feel for temperature ranges and tricks for added
        warmth .

        The ORM is best as a light weight alternative to a sleeping bag…Most
        folk continue to use an existing bag for the winter with the 3
        season set doubled on the bottom…. Send the bag home when passed Mt
        Rogers VA, if nobo, then use the three season set…. Glen Cliff NH is
        a popular place to get winter gear mailed back too for the fall
        finishing leg of a thru.

        If you intend to carry a pad anyway, the nest supplemented by the
        pad and the ORM will be warmer….it will also be less comfortable in
        the summer.

        Hope this helps.

        Jack
      • Steve Joiner
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
          <snip>
          Since I have always used a mummy bag, will I have trouble
          adjusting to quilt?
          <snip>

          Hi, Rob.  I went from a mummy bag to a quilt after I got my HH asym.  I was also skeptical, and concerned.  However, I'm now a firm convert to using a quilt in a hammock.  I toss and turn on the ground - and doubt that a quilt would be a good cold-weather solution for me on the ground (haven't tried it yet).  I have used my homemade down quilt (got the kit and plan at www.thru-hiker.com) in my hammock for 2 seasons now (last spring and this fall) - in temps into the low-teens.  Don't worry!  Be happy!  (less weight, more comfort, and a good night's sleep - does it get any better?!)  ;^)

          Steve
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rebraswell@y...> wrote:

            > I am still seeking direction. I posted last week regarding
            sleeping
            > system and also have been reading lots and lots of post on this
            > site. Thusfar, this is the direction I am leaning. JRB have a 3
            > season set up (nest & quilt no sniveler). I am thinking about
            > changing out the no sniveler quilt with old rag mnt quilt due to
            > extra down in the later. I have several concerns/questions. At
            what
            > temp range will this setup be? If pad is added/used (therm-a-rest
            > pro lite) would that give extra warmth? Would swapping the quilts
            > (no sniveler vs old rag mnt) make a difference. Is anyone using
            this
            > combo? Since I have always used a mummy bag, will I have trouble
            > adjusting to quilt? Are there any other suggestions for similiar
            > sleep system. Have a Happy New Year!

            The JRB set is awesome because it preserves the comfort of the
            hammock, and I don't think pads do that. I agree with Jack's post
            about not swapping the NS for the ORM...if it's that cold, double up
            the Nest and NS on bottom and use another quilt or bag on top.

            I've had the regular 3-season set down to 40* no problem. In a very
            windy 35* I had to come in. In my Speer, I think the JRB would be
            good until low 30's with little wind. A pad would add some temp
            range but it isn't as comfortable, IMO. I bring one for safety in
            case I have to go to ground, though.

            From the first time I used the quilt, I liked it much better than
            the mummy bag for the hammock. It's the right size without too much
            extra fluff lying all around you (and taking up space/weight in your
            pack). Never used one on the ground, though.

            I'd recommend the JRB set to anyone. It's a bit expensive, but
            considering the cost of a comparable sleeping bag (that you'll no
            longer need for 3-season nights) it's really not that bad.

            And in case it wasn't clear, jack_tier, who also responded to your
            post, is an owner of JRB so he's probably the best expert on his
            gear. He was easy to order from and my stuff shipped immediately.
            If this were eBay, I'd say something like "AAA++++++ Seller!
            FASTEST shipping yet!! Will do business with again!" :)

            Jeff
          • Rob
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 29, 2004

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rebraswell@y...>
              wrote:

              > > I am still seeking direction. I posted last week regarding
              > sleeping
              > > system and also have been reading lots and lots of post on this
              > > site. Thusfar, this is the direction I am leaning. JRB have a 3
              > > season set up (nest & quilt no sniveler). I am thinking about
              > > changing out the no sniveler quilt with old rag mnt quilt due to
              > > extra down in the later. I have several concerns/questions. At
              > what
              > > temp range will this setup be? If pad is added/used (therm-a-
              rest
              > > pro lite) would that give extra warmth? Would swapping the
              quilts
              > > (no sniveler vs old rag mnt) make a difference. Is anyone using
              > this
              > > combo? Since I have always used a mummy bag, will I have trouble
              > > adjusting to quilt? Are there any other suggestions for similiar
              > > sleep system. Have a Happy New Year!
              >
              > The JRB set is awesome because it preserves the comfort of the
              > hammock, and I don't think pads do that. I agree with Jack's post
              > about not swapping the NS for the ORM...if it's that cold, double
              up
              > the Nest and NS on bottom and use another quilt or bag on top.
              >
              > I've had the regular 3-season set down to 40* no problem. In a
              very
              > windy 35* I had to come in. In my Speer, I think the JRB would be
              > good until low 30's with little wind. A pad would add some temp
              > range but it isn't as comfortable, IMO. I bring one for safety in
              > case I have to go to ground, though.
              >
              > From the first time I used the quilt, I liked it much better than
              > the mummy bag for the hammock. It's the right size without too
              much
              > extra fluff lying all around you (and taking up space/weight in
              your
              > pack). Never used one on the ground, though.
              >
              > I'd recommend the JRB set to anyone. It's a bit expensive, but
              > considering the cost of a comparable sleeping bag (that you'll no
              > longer need for 3-season nights) it's really not that bad.
              >
              > And in case it wasn't clear, jack_tier, who also responded to your
              > post, is an owner of JRB so he's probably the best expert on his
              > gear. He was easy to order from and my stuff shipped immediately.
              > If this were eBay, I'd say something like "AAA++++++ Seller!
              > FASTEST shipping yet!! Will do business with again!" :)
              >
              > Jeff

              Jeff,

              I am getting a good feeling about the JRB setup. I will probably go
              that route. Thanks for the good info!

              Rob
            • Rob
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 29, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>
                wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rebraswell@y...>
                wrote:

                > > I am still seeking direction. I posted last week regarding
                > sleeping
                > > system and also have been reading lots and lots of post on this
                > > site. Thusfar, this is the direction I am leaning. JRB have a 3
                > > season set up (nest & quilt no sniveler). I am thinking about
                > > changing out the no sniveler quilt with old rag mnt quilt due to
                > > extra down in the later. I have several concerns/questions. At
                > what
                > > temp range will this setup be? If pad is added/used (therm-a-
                rest
                > > pro lite) would that give extra warmth? Would swapping the
                quilts
                > > (no sniveler vs old rag mnt) make a difference. Is anyone using
                > this
                > > combo? Since I have always used a mummy bag, will I have trouble
                > > adjusting to quilt? Are there any other suggestions for similiar
                > > sleep system. Have a Happy New Year!
                > > Rob
                >
                > Rob,
                >
                > Too date no one has just a Nest and Old Rag Mtn Quilt. The main
                > issue with that combo is that the Old Rag Mtn is loss of some
                > flexibility. The ORM is not designed to also function as an under
                > quilt. This means that you loose the "double up the bottom"
                > option. By its self the ORM is about a 20 degree quilt…Sides stay
                > tucked in a hammock. Ground sleeper will experience some air leaks
                > if they toss and turn…IMHO quilts are easy to adjust to for a
                > hammocker….most who tried quilts right after Jardine first
                published
                > Beyond Backpacking were ground sleepers and many gave up on quilts…
                > Also, if one sleeps with ones head and face inside a mummy bag (
                not
                > a good ideas as it loads moisture into the bag) it will take some
                > effort to get used to a quilt…a good balaclava is the key to
                > enjoying the quilt.
                >
                > Recommend reading the articles on www.jacksrbetter.com . They will
                > give you a good feel for temperature ranges and tricks for added
                > warmth .
                >
                > The ORM is best as a light weight alternative to a sleeping bag…
                Most
                > folk continue to use an existing bag for the winter with the 3
                > season set doubled on the bottom…. Send the bag home when passed Mt
                > Rogers VA, if nobo, then use the three season set…. Glen Cliff NH
                is
                > a popular place to get winter gear mailed back too for the fall
                > finishing leg of a thru.
                >
                > If you intend to carry a pad anyway, the nest supplemented by the
                > pad and the ORM will be warmer….it will also be less comfortable in
                > the summer.
                >
                > Hope this helps.
                >
                > Jack

                Jack,

                Thanks for the responce. I understand you are one of the owners of
                JRB. I have looked @ the articles on your website. I have another
                couple of questions. Will JRB 3 season setup fit the ultralight
                Expedition HH and perform the same as backpacker ultralight? If
                ordered, how long will it take JRB to conplete order. What is color
                of current batch production? Thank you in advance!

                Rob
              • jack_tier
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 29, 2004
> [...]
                  > > finishing leg of a thru.
                  > >
                  > > If you intend to carry a pad anyway, the nest supplemented by
                  the
                  > > pad and the ORM will be warmer….it will also be less comfortable
                  in
                  > > the summer.
                  > >
                  > > Hope this helps.
                  > >
                  > > Jack
                  >
                  > Jack,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the responce. I understand you are one of the owners
                  of
                  > JRB. I have looked @ the articles on your website. I have
                  another
                  > couple of questions. Will JRB 3 season setup fit the ultralight
                  > Expedition HH and perform the same as backpacker ultralight? If
                  > ordered, how long will it take JRB to conplete order. What is
                  color
                  > of current batch production? Thank you in advance!

                  Rob,

                  Yes, the 3 season set will fit the UL exped. It fits all HH. In
                  fact, we have not found a hammock that it will not work with. See
                  pictures on FAQ page of web site.

                  We have two sets in stock...currently no waiting. This could change
                  at any time based on orders.

                  Current color is emerald green. Close match to our current tarp
                  color.

                  Jack
                • Rob
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 29, 2004
                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > of
                    > > JRB. I have looked @ the articles on your website. I have
                    > another
                    > > couple of questions. Will JRB 3 season setup fit the ultralight
                    > > Expedition HH and perform the same as backpacker ultralight? If
                    > > ordered, how long will it take JRB to conplete order. What is
                    > color
                    > > of current batch production? Thank you in advance!
                    > >
                    > > Rob
                    >
                    > Rob,
                    >
                    > Yes, the 3 season set will fit the UL exped. It fits all HH. In
                    > fact, we have not found a hammock that it will not work with. See
                    > pictures on FAQ page of web site.
                    >
                    > We have two sets in stock...currently no waiting. This could change
                    > at any time based on orders.
                    >
                    > Current color is emerald green. Close match to our current tarp

                    Jack,

                    I will let you know early next week on my decision. I am considering
                    also going to 4 season setup. Thanks for the help and will talk to
                    you soon.

                    Rob