Synthetic VS Down in Hammock

  • walkonemile50
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2004
      No doubt it's been talked about. However, with most of the down bags
      having some type of DWR or other filling which protects the down:
      what is the better choice between Synthetic and Down bags in regards
      to the hammock. I'm trying out my Synthetic Bag in some wet weather
      to see how well it works in the hammock. I'm in CA and we're in for
      over a week of rain. I have my HH with stock fly setup in the back
      yard. I'm trying to see how dry I can keep my bag. I have a new REI
      0 degree bag that I have not used yet as it's not been cold enough,
      but I don't want to try and test it in the rain yet in case I need to
      take it back... Any thoughts, ideas?
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "walkonemile50"
        <glherron46@y...> wrote:
        >I'm trying to see how dry I can keep my bag. I have a new REI
        > 0 degree bag that I have not used yet as it's not been cold
        enough,
        > but I don't want to try and test it in the rain yet in case I need
        > take it back... Any thoughts, ideas?

        I have used the HH explorer (with the original, small tarp) in some
        very wet conditions. I experienced some minor seepage through the
        bottom in the shoulder area during a thunderstorm with blowing rain,
        but that was about it. With the larger tarp you should be able to
        stay completely dry.
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2004
          If you are thinking of using it IN the hammock vs UNDER the hammock,
          the synthetic's lower compressability vs down may help a little bit,
          in that if you have a setup where it is possible to roll off of your
          pad, or where you might press your leg (inside your bag) or whatever
          against a non-insulated side wall, the synth might compress less and
          provide at least a tiny amt of insulation. But, the synthetic is
          heavier, bigger in your pack, etc...

          Bill in Houston (just got my first down bag and looking forward to
          trying it quilt-style in the hammock)

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2004
            walkonemile50 wrote:

            >No doubt it's been talked about. However, with most of the down bags
            >having some type of DWR or other filling which protects the down:
            >what is the better choice between Synthetic and Down bags in regards
            >to the hammock. I'm trying out my Synthetic Bag in some wet weather
            >to see how well it works in the hammock. I'm in CA and we're in for
            >over a week of rain. I have my HH with stock fly setup in the back
            >yard. I'm trying to see how dry I can keep my bag. I have a new REI
            >0 degree bag that I have not used yet as it's not been cold enough,
            >but I don't want to try and test it in the rain yet in case I need to
            >take it back... Any thoughts, ideas?

            I have used a down filled quilt in weather from 60 F to -15 F. It works
            well. The down needs to be kept dry, but my hammock stays a lot drier
            than I ever did in a tent in the rain.

            Risk