Newbie question(s)

  • eremitike <eremitike@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 7:09 PM
      Hi folks,

      I have an older model HH Expedition that I bought recently and am
      practicing setting it up before my first trip with it. A couple of
      questions have arisen.

      1. I keep reading about making sure the tarp is installed "the right
      way." I take it this means more that just right-side up, but that
      there is a head corner and a foot corner as well? If so, what's the
      quick way to tell? When I climb into my hammock and lay down
      diagonally, I notice that my head and feet are both barely under the
      tarp. Do I need to reverse the tarp, or is there some other issue
      here?

      2. How far out do most of you folks guy the sides of the hammock
      body? Do you vary it for different conditions? I imagine in rain,
      you would have the tarp guyed down rather low, does this mean that
      you tend to pull the sides of the hammock in as well? Do you ever
      not guy out the sides of the hammock?

      I know these are basic questions, most of which I will figure out on
      my own by experimenting. Still I wanted to get some of your input
      and suggestions on basic hammocking with the Hennessey.

      Thanks for your time.

      Also, to Shane, I made a pad like yours (closed cell foam, wrapped
      in a Space blanket, wrapped in a Neat Sheet). It took all of about
      30 minutes (including 5 minutes of begging my wife to set up her
      sewing machine) and it came out great. I tried it for a quick nap in
      60* weather and woke up sweating, so it should be great for cooler
      temps. Thanks for the tip!

      Michael
    • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2 9:42 PM
        Micheal

        The HH Expedition uses a symetrical fly so it does not matter which
        end you put it on. It also does not matter which side you place on
        top. If it had seams (which it does not) you would make sure the
        upper material overlaped the lower material.

        If rain is likely just be sure and tie the side tieouts down low but
        try not to let them touch the hammock body. Yes it looks like you
        are awfully close to the edge of the fly edges but I slept
        perfectly dry on mithe during a 3 inch rain. I'm 6 feet tall. If
        you are much taller you might have your feet and head closer to the
        edge of the fly than I do. A very tall person would need to sleep
        less diagonally or choose a different (longer) modle.

        I usually guy one side low and the other side almost straight out.
        Mainly so I can see better out the high side. When I have both
        sides guyed low (expecting rain) I cant see out very well. I always
        attach the strechy cord of the hammock to the ring in the fly.
        Seems to keep the hammock from closing in on me as much plus reduces
        rocking.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "eremitike <eremitike@e...>"
        <eremitike@e...> wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I have an older model HH Expedition that I bought recently and am
        > practicing setting it up before my first trip with it. A couple of
        > questions have arisen.
        >
        > 1. I keep reading about making sure the tarp is installed "the
        right
        > way." I take it this means more that just right-side up, but that
        > there is a head corner and a foot corner as well? If so, what's
        the
        > quick way to tell? When I climb into my hammock and lay down
        > diagonally, I notice that my head and feet are both barely under
        the
        > tarp. Do I need to reverse the tarp, or is there some other issue
        > here?
        >
        > 2. How far out do most of you folks guy the sides of the hammock
        > body? Do you vary it for different conditions? I imagine in rain,
        > you would have the tarp guyed down rather low, does this mean that
        > you tend to pull the sides of the hammock in as well? Do you ever
        > not guy out the sides of the hammock?
        >
        > I know these are basic questions, most of which I will figure out
        on
        > my own by experimenting. Still I wanted to get some of your input
        > and suggestions on basic hammocking with the Hennessey.
        >
        > Thanks for your time.
        >
        > Also, to Shane, I made a pad like yours (closed cell foam, wrapped
        > in a Space blanket, wrapped in a Neat Sheet). It took all of about
        > 30 minutes (including 5 minutes of begging my wife to set up her
        > sewing machine) and it came out great. I tried it for a quick nap
        in
        > 60* weather and woke up sweating, so it should be great for cooler
        > temps. Thanks for the tip!
        >
        > Michael
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 11:17 AM
          Michael:

          What Coy Boy said matches my experience.

          I find the HH tarps are just big enough to keep me dry when
          I'm in the hammock, but a bit small for other activities.
          You can pull the hammock to one side and cook in the cleared
          space, but it's not something I'd like to do for two or more
          days.

          I guess I just got used to an 8 x 8 ft tarp. Anything less
          seems tight. So I often substitute the HH tarp with a custom
          silnylon tarp.

          When using the standard HH tarp, I loop the shock cords (the
          body pullout cords) through the tarp rings, then attach them
          back to the body rings. So I have a double run of shock cord
          between the body and the tarp.

          I added mitten hooks to the ends of the shock cords, so it's
          easy to clip them onto the body rings. I can also use the
          clip to pull the hammock to one side for cooking etc.

          Bear