Sleeping system for HH

  • rebraswell
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 21, 2004
      I have just ordered a HH. I have never used a hammock for camping.
      My concern is a sleeping system. I currently have a Pro Lite 4
      regular size therm-a-rest and Mountain Hardware Quantum 3D - 1st
      Dimension (30 degree) bag. I understand that there is difficulty in
      keeping the air pad from slipping out from under you. I am thinking
      about going to a Big Anges Zirkel (20 degree) or Horse thief (35
      degree) and combine with the Lost Dog (50 degree) on very cold nights
      (would be 2 pads). Another option I am considering is Western
      Mountaineering Ultra Light (20 degree) with Lost Dog. I plan using
      my hammock with temp ranges down to 20 - 25 degrees. I would love to
      hear from others on their sleeping systems. Thanks - Rob
    • jack_tier
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 21, 2004
        Quilts and under quilts make the most sense in a hammock if you are
        going to buy....Almost all use bags as quilts once thet get the hang
        of the hammock.....so spare the expense and weight of the bag and go
        the quilts route.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rebraswell"
        <rebraswell@y...> wrote:

        > I have just ordered a HH. I have never used a hammock for
        camping.
        > My concern is a sleeping system. I currently have a Pro Lite 4
        > regular size therm-a-rest and Mountain Hardware Quantum 3D - 1st
        > Dimension (30 degree) bag. I understand that there is difficulty
        in
        > keeping the air pad from slipping out from under you. I am
        thinking
        > about going to a Big Anges Zirkel (20 degree) or Horse thief (35
        > degree) and combine with the Lost Dog (50 degree) on very cold
        nights
        > (would be 2 pads). Another option I am considering is Western
        > Mountaineering Ultra Light (20 degree) with Lost Dog. I plan
        using
        > my hammock with temp ranges down to 20 - 25 degrees. I would love
        > hear from others on their sleeping systems. Thanks - Rob
      • Dick Matthews
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 21, 2004
          More than you wanted to know.

          I hike primarily in the Colorado Rockies above 10,000 feet. Frost on the
          4th of July is normal. On Memorial Day weekend, 2004, we had an
          overnight low of 15. On Labor Day weekend, 2004, we got about 4" of snow.

          The Super Shelter set up video on the Hennessy site is very helpful and
          will reduce the initial setup time. I enjoy experimenting with gear at
          home, but have a very low tolerance for gear with a high fiddle factor
          while hiking. I leave the over and under covers on the hammock all the
          time and it still fits into the snake skins. The hammock, UnderCover and
          OverCover inside the skins can be stuffed into the side mesh pocket of a
          Six Moon Designs Starlite pack. The pads are rolled and carried in a
          silnylon stuff sack.

          Most nights the OverCover is secured near the ridge line with a string
          through the side pull out slots. In heavy winds one side can be pulled
          down and in cold both sides can be secured with the side tie outs. The
          over and under covers combined reduce the drafts.

          I tried a couple of Gossamer Gear ThinLight pads and they folded and
          rolled into very small pads during the night.

          Tom Hennessy recommends using a second UnderPad or additional insulation
          in the UnderCover for colder temperatures. I know he continues product
          development. I find a single UnderPad only keeps me warm to 40 degrees.
          I will continue to add UnderPads until I stay warm to 30 degrees then
          add a closed cell pad for lower temperatures.

          The Jacks ‘R’ Better Nest might be the better answer.

          The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good
          replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp
          is needed. The SuperShelter is designed to be compatible with his
          rainflys so I an testing a second prusik knot on the hammock line
          attached to an ultralight carabineers attached to the shock cord lines
          from the SuperShelter. The gated carabineer secures the shock cord more
          securely than the hooks.

          Long Tree Huggers often are needed here in the Rockies. A 7mm kernmantle
          rope about 3' long tied to the tree hugger loops with a slipped
          sheetbend make very good extenders. It seems the tree huggers still
          protect the tree as long as they go about 2/3 around the tree.

          I carry a 60”X25”X3/8” blue closed cell pad for when I need to go to the
          ground or when I need the extra insulation. I currently use an Nunatak
          Arc Alpinist with the straps snapped over the bag and sleep in
          expedition weight long underwear.

          I started with a Big Agnes Zirkle bag and a RidgeRest pad cut to mummy
          shape but 72” is too long for the pad and 20” is too narrow. A left zip
          Big Agnes Bag is much better than a right zip. I now have converted to
          the Arc Alpinist with a 25" wide closed cell pad. The quilt allows you
          to bend the knees a lot more and the 25" wide pad prevents cold
          compression spots.

          Dick Matthews

          rebraswell wrote:

          >I have just ordered a HH. I have never used a hammock for camping.
          >My concern is a sleeping system. I currently have a Pro Lite 4
          >regular size therm-a-rest and Mountain Hardware Quantum 3D - 1st
          >Dimension (30 degree) bag. I understand that there is difficulty in
          >keeping the air pad from slipping out from under you. I am thinking
          >about going to a Big Anges Zirkel (20 degree) or Horse thief (35
          >degree) and combine with the Lost Dog (50 degree) on very cold nights
          >(would be 2 pads). Another option I am considering is Western
          >Mountaineering Ultra Light (20 degree) with Lost Dog. I plan using
          >my hammock with temp ranges down to 20 - 25 degrees. I would love to
          >hear from others on their sleeping systems. Thanks - Rob

        • walkonemile50
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 21, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...>
            wrote:
            I tried a couple of Gossamer Gear ThinLight pads and they folded and
            rolled into very small pads during the night.

            I was wondering if these were inside the hammock under your sleeping
            bag, or inside of the supershelter.

            Thanks
          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 21, 2004
              Rob-

              This may draw fire (again).  I've used my Hennessy many times down into the low 20's.
              I like a mylar space blanket suspended below the hammock.  It helps block wind currents around the bottom and sides, plus some at the head and foot.  There is a debate over whether or not the blanket actually reflects any heat.  Fold over a bit at the top and bottom of the space blanket's long ends and use thin tape to hold the fold as a casing.  I found some mylar-like tape at a Home Depot that works well.  Round elastic or 1/4" flat elastic both work to hold the blanket.  Match up the side pullouts of the hammock with an appropriate spot on the blanket, roll the edges over small pieces of foam packing peanuts, and tie with elastic.  Make a loop on the free end of the elastic and pass the loop through the rings at the pullouts.  Slip a small found twig in each loop so that the loops don't pull back through the hammock's rings.  You should be able to push aside the bottom to get in and out of your hammock.

              Then get a couple of foam pads or aluminized foam windshield protectors.  Line them up so that you make a pad that is wide enough for your torso, wrapping up the sides a bit.  this will help compensate for the crushed insulation that is under and around you.

              You can also make a channel in your reflector pad that is just 20" wide by taping a couple of 4" foam pad sections in the foam you need under your bag, sited so that your 20" wide pad just sits in between them.  That gives you some needed width, too.

              Finally, I use small sections of that rubber grippy shelf liner under my T-Rests, etc., to reduce slippage on smooth surfaces.

              Good Luck!

              Rosaleen

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
                wrote:
                > I have just ordered a HH. I have never used a hammock for
                camping.
                > My concern is a sleeping system. I currently have a Pro Lite 4
                > regular size therm-a-rest and Mountain Hardware Quantum 3D - 1st
                > Dimension (30 degree) bag. I understand that there is difficulty
                in
                > keeping the air pad from slipping out from under you. I am
                thinking
                > about going to a Big Anges Zirkel (20 degree) or Horse thief (35
                > degree) and combine with the Lost Dog (50 degree) on very cold
                nights
                > (would be 2 pads). Another option I am considering is Western
                > Mountaineering Ultra Light (20 degree) with Lost Dog. I plan using
                > my hammock with temp ranges down to 20 - 25 degrees. I would love
                > hear from others on their sleeping systems. Thanks - Rob

                I use a Prolite 3 Long with the WM UltraLite for 3-season use, with
                add-ons as conditions suggest. (I mainly hike in the Smokies and
                surrounding areas.) Can't fault the UltraLite--it's as praiseworthy
                as everyone says, if you can stand the cost. It has no side-block
                baffles, so shake all of the down to the top... Then use it quilt-
                like when warmer, and zipped up when colder.

                The Prolite does tend to drift somewhat, mainly when you get in. I
                tied on two "haul" lines at each end of the hammock bugnet line to
                make shifting about on the pad a little easier. (Grab the pad with
                one hand, grab a loop with another, and pull; everything slides
                together.) The Ozark Trail eggcrate pad won't hardly move at all,
                which is great once you get it settled, but makes you get in & out of
                the hammock until you've figured out exactly where it should go.
                Trimming the thing down helps the fit.

                I agree with the others here that you need some kind of undercover.
                At the very minimum you want to keep cold airflow off the hammock
                bottom. Here's a good description of a Garlington Insulator setup...
                http://www.hammockcamping.com/Garlington%20Insulator/GIoriginal.htm
                And if you decide to get a bigger tarp to replace the stock HH,
                here's Gear Collector's description on how you can adapt it as a
                Garlington...
                http://www.paysheet.com/underfly/underfly.htm

                Doug Frost
              • Dick Matthews
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
                  Sorry, that is confusing.

                  I had the pads inside the hammock and they just balled up.

                  Dick Matthews
                  A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no
                  other way.
                  - Mark Twain

                  walkonemile50 wrote:

                  >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@c...>
                  >wrote:
                  >I tried a couple of Gossamer Gear ThinLight pads and they folded and
                  >rolled into very small pads during the night.
                  >

                  >I was wondering if these were inside the hammock under your sleeping
                  >bag, or inside of the supershelter.
                  >
                  >Thanks

                • Thomas Vickers
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
                    On this thread,

                    If you have a good undercover, is there any need for a pad in the Hammock?

                    I really like my HH and part of this is no pad. Just plain comfortable
                    without it.

                    My onlyproblem is keeping warm.
                    The underquilt pattern in the files section is cool, but way pricey to make.

                    Right now I am probably going to bite the bullet and adapt the quilt/top
                    layer of my Golite Force sleep system.
                    It seems just great for an undercover.

                    Now for a question. Will an undercover that covers from head/shoulders to
                    the butt region be enough? Those areas seem the coldest/most pressure
                    regions.

                    TV
                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
                      <redroach@e...> wrote:
                      > The underquilt pattern in the files section is cool, but way
                      pricey to make.

                      I just made two kid-sized Primaloft quilts for $60. If you have a
                      sewing machine, you could easily make a normal-sized 2.1" Primaloft
                      quilt for about the same. I was pretty surprised at how easy it
                      was. (Still haven't done the Velcro, though!)

                      > Now for a question. Will an undercover that covers from
                      head/shoulders to
                      > the butt region be enough? Those areas seem the coldest/most
                      pressure
                      > regions.

                      That should work if you don't move much. I toss and turn so I need
                      more coverage.

                      The trick will be keeping the quilt's sides tight against the
                      hammock while not compressing the insulation.

                      Jeff
                    • thebenchmeister
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004

                        > The trick will be keeping the quilt's sides tight against the
                        > hammock while not compressing the insulation.
                        >
                        > Jeff

                        I'm new to this discussion, but it appears to me that the only reason
                        that there is a compression problem is that the quilt is constructed
                        as an envelope, with both top and bottom sewn together. If a 3" strip
                        of material were sewn between the top and bottom, converting it from
                        an envelope to a box, and all fasteners placed on thr top side, there
                        would be little if any compression, because the bottom would dangle
                        freely.
                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 22, 2004
                          I have to agree you are on the right track but ff that were the only
                          problem it would have been solved long ago. I have tried hanging
                          sleeping bags under my homemade speere hammocks and they are not
                          envelopes. the problem is an empty hammock is easy to hang insulation
                          under but the second you get in it the hammock creates flattining of
                          the insulation. Ricks Warm Hammock is a pretty good solution as is
                          Ed,s Pea Pod and Jacks Underquilt for HH's. Ricks Warm hammock is
                          made by gathering extra material every few inches on all sides as the
                          insulation pocket is made. I still think all underquilts and pea pods
                          compress the insulation in certian areas and this will varry with the
                          person in the hammock and then varrie again as that person changes
                          positions. still beats sleeping on the ground anyday (or night)

                          Coy Boy

                          > I'm new to this discussion, but it appears to me that the only reason
                          > that there is a compression problem is that the quilt is constructed
                          > as an envelope, with both top and bottom sewn together. If a 3" strip
                          > of material were sewn between the top and bottom, converting it from
                          > an envelope to a box, and all fasteners placed on thr top side, there
                          > would be little if any compression, because the bottom would dangle
                          > freely.
                        • Mark Hooper
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 23, 2004
                            Hi Jeff,
                            Are you one from Summerville SC?

                            Mark
                            Daniel Island SC

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 24, 2004
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Hooper" <rxhoop@d...>
                              wrote:
                              > Hi Jeff,
                              > Are you one from Summerville SC?

                              Yeah...North Charleston, anyway.
                            • Mark Hooper
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 25, 2004
                                I live on Daniel Island. Do you do much hammock camping? We'll have to meet up sometime.

                                Mark Hooper
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 28, 2004
                                  wrote:
                                  > I live on Daniel Island. Do you do much hammock camping? We'll
                                  have to meet up sometime.

                                  Sure will. I camp whenever I can, but usually it's just testing
                                  something new in the back yard. I'm moving out to California this
                                  summer, though.

                                  I'm thinking about a 2-3 day trip to Congaree National Park in Jan
                                  if you're interested.

                                  Anyone else in the area?

                                  Jeff
                                • rxhoop2002
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 29, 2004

                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Hooper" <rxhoop@d...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > I live on Daniel Island. Do you do much hammock camping? We'll
                                    > have to meet up sometime.
                                    >
                                    > Sure will. I camp whenever I can, but usually it's just testing
                                    > something new in the back yard. I'm moving out to California this
                                    > summer, though.
                                    >
                                    > I'm thinking about a 2-3 day trip to Congaree National Park in Jan
                                    > if you're interested.
                                    >
                                    > Anyone else in the area?
                                    >
                                    > Jeff

                                    Jeff,
                                    I would be interested in the trip. Email me your phone # to:
                                    RxHoop@...

                                    Talk to you soon,
                                    Mark