RE: Hammock Camping Re: Cord marking question

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2003
      Message
      Yes. That's one advantage of using tree ropes to which I attach my hammock main lines.

      I can easily center the hammock by equalizing the amount of slack pulled through the tree ropes before tying off the hammock mains.

      I thought it was just me that was so fussy about getting things centered. I usually tie each knot at least twice before I'm satisfied that the hammock is centered, at the right height, and under the right tension. Twice if I'm lucky. Usually more than that.

      And I use body measurements too. I don't convert to an arbitrary standard though, but keep the measurement units in body parts. (That rope is two forearms and a hand long.)

      And here's another idea I'm meaning to try out. Carry two 24-inch closed cell foam pads. One is four or five feet long, and goes along my length. The other is three feet long and goes across the first, centered on my ribcage area. It's like a 36-inch wide pad, but rolls up like a 24-inch pad. Though bulkier.

      Bear
    • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
        <dchinell@m...> wrote:

        > I thought it was just me that was so fussy about getting things
        centered. I
        > usually tie each knot at least twice before I'm satisfied that the
        hammock
        > is centered, at the right height, and under the right tension.
        Twice if I'm
        > lucky. Usually more than that.

        That's why I mark my cords. Then I only have to tie the knots once.
        I used to get irritated not to get it right the first time which is
        why I came up with the cord marking system. (I'm pretty sure lazy
        people are the most creative --- they have an incentive to make
        things easier that more energetic folks don't <grin>)

        Jim
      • Bill Keiser
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2003
          i would stitch some white(or maybe dayglo yellow) nylon thread through
          the rope or strap.
          bs (who just found a new list and can't help answering old posts)