RE: Hammock Camping Re: Cord marking question

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2003
      Message
      My learning never stops...Ed

      -----Original Message-----
      From: geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@...> [mailto:geoflyfisher@...]
      Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 9:01 AM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping Re: Cord marking question

      Sure,  outside the established box,

      Seeing that you do not need to do the measurement in feet or any
      other units, use an anatomic measuring stick.  You may want to use
      the distance from your palm to your elbow (handy when doing distance
      with cord)  And it's handy that two "forearm" lengths just about
      equals a step.  So you don't mark the cord, you just measure it out
      and tie.  (If you need a finer measure, 2 hand spans (thumb to little
      finger, spread widely) equals a forearm)

      If the hammock is 3 steps long and the distance between trees is 5
      steps, you need a forearm and a half of cord at each end.

      Oh, there are a few others:  A fathom, the measure from one
      outstretched hand to the other is about 2 steps - which is also a
      pace.  1000 paces (a mille paces) is a mile as are a 1000 fathoms.
      Actually the fathom is a little longer than a pace for most people (6
      vs 5.25 feet), so a statute mile is a little shorter than a nautical
      mile.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76
      <colonelcorn76@y...>" <colonelcorn76@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > I use a Hennessey Hammock (Ultralight Asym) but I suspect this
      > question could apply to any number of other hammocks out there. I
      > have marked my hammock tie-out ropes (cords really) with little
      > rings of white medical tape at 1 foot intervals to make it easier
      > setup right the first time.
      >
      > I start by pacing the distance between the trees, subtract the
      > length of the hammock, split the remaining difference to come up
      > with how long each rope end should be between the tree. Then when I
      > put the first end up I pull through enough cord on the initial
      > lashing to leave the correct number of tape rings between the tree
      > and the hammock. Then I go to the other end of the hammock and when
      > I tie that to the tree the hammock is almost dead-on centered and
      > properly tensioned.
      >
      > My question is whether anyone knows how to mark the rope a little
      > more permanently? I tried white-out and a few types of paint
      > (although I'm hesitant to try some of the solvent based ones in
      fear
      > of what they might do to the cord/rope). Those wore off pretty
      > quickly as sometimes when the trees are closer together some ended
      > up being pulled through the lashing and the markings abraded off.
      > The tape is a little more durable but in warm weather the adhesive
      > sometimes loosens up so the tape ring moves...which means they're
      > not at 1' intervals and my whole system is invalidated.
      >
      > I thought about putting little overhand knots in the cord but
      > haven't due to the potential for weakening the cord and because I
      > want something with some contrast so they're easy to see/count.
      >
      > Anyone have a clever idea here?
      >
      > Jim

    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28, 2003
        Message
        Yes. That's one advantage of using tree ropes to which I attach my hammock main lines.

        I can easily center the hammock by equalizing the amount of slack pulled through the tree ropes before tying off the hammock mains.

        I thought it was just me that was so fussy about getting things centered. I usually tie each knot at least twice before I'm satisfied that the hammock is centered, at the right height, and under the right tension. Twice if I'm lucky. Usually more than that.

        And I use body measurements too. I don't convert to an arbitrary standard though, but keep the measurement units in body parts. (That rope is two forearms and a hand long.)

        And here's another idea I'm meaning to try out. Carry two 24-inch closed cell foam pads. One is four or five feet long, and goes along my length. The other is three feet long and goes across the first, centered on my ribcage area. It's like a 36-inch wide pad, but rolls up like a 24-inch pad. Though bulkier.

        Bear
      • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2003
          <dchinell@m...> wrote:

          > I thought it was just me that was so fussy about getting things
          centered. I
          > usually tie each knot at least twice before I'm satisfied that the
          hammock
          > is centered, at the right height, and under the right tension.
          Twice if I'm
          > lucky. Usually more than that.

          That's why I mark my cords. Then I only have to tie the knots once.
          I used to get irritated not to get it right the first time which is
          why I came up with the cord marking system. (I'm pretty sure lazy
          people are the most creative --- they have an incentive to make
          things easier that more energetic folks don't <grin>)

          Jim
        • Bill Keiser
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2003
            i would stitch some white(or maybe dayglo yellow) nylon thread through
            the rope or strap.
            bs (who just found a new list and can't help answering old posts)