More advice, pls

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 15 8:37 AM
      So I should be in the mountains right now, but right when I was
      about to leave Monday my wife and I both had sore throats and stuffy
      noses. So I've spent my time off trying to be productive (and
      shopping...ugh!).

      I fixed the top thread breaking problem. Looks like cheap thread
      was the culprit.

      I don't think I got the tension set right, though. I tried the two-
      color trick, but I could always see the bottom thread coming through
      to the top no matter how tight I got the tension. I squeezed it
      down tight and loosened the upper tension, but it still poked
      through! Even so, it's not skipping stitches or breaking the thread
      anymore. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

      I'm almost done with my .8" Primaloft quilt. I still have to add
      the velcro and the webbing to attach it as an underquilt.

      Next problem - top thread is breaking again, but only when I try to
      sew on the velcro. It's going through 2 layers of RN, .8" Primaloft
      and the velcro. Is that too much? Would changing the tension help,
      even though it works fine with just the nylon and Primaloft?

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 15 3:58 PM
        jwj32542 wrote:

        >So I should be in the mountains right now, but right when I was
        >about to leave Monday my wife and I both had sore throats and stuffy
        >noses. So I've spent my time off trying to be productive (and
        >shopping...ugh!).
        >
        >I fixed the top thread breaking problem. Looks like cheap thread
        >was the culprit.
        >
        >I don't think I got the tension set right, though. I tried the two-
        >color trick, but I could always see the bottom thread coming through
        >to the top no matter how tight I got the tension. I squeezed it
        >down tight and loosened the upper tension, but it still poked
        >through! Even so, it's not skipping stitches or breaking the thread
        >anymore. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
        >
        >I'm almost done with my .8" Primaloft quilt. I still have to add
        >the velcro and the webbing to attach it as an underquilt.
        >
        >Next problem - top thread is breaking again, but only when I try to
        >sew on the velcro. It's going through 2 layers of RN, .8" Primaloft
        >and the velcro. Is that too much? Would changing the tension help,
        >even though it works fine with just the nylon and Primaloft?
        >
        >Jeff

        Sewing velcro is bad even with the best thread. Mainly the hook side.
        I have never been able to sew it without rethreading every 3 feet or
        so. If I start again about a half inch back where it was sewn before,
        it does not come unraveled.

        Risk
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 15 5:10 PM
          > Sewing velcro is bad even with the best thread. Mainly the hook
          side.
          > I have never been able to sew it without rethreading every 3 feet
          or
          > so. If I start again about a half inch back where it was sewn
          before,
          > it does not come unraveled.

          Yeah. I had a hard time just getting it started. I got frustrated
          so I quit and sewed on the webbing and did the quilting. I'll get
          it back out tomorrow...that's all I have left to do for this one.

          It's the one-sided kind so there's no "hook side" or "loop side" and
          it's supposed to collect less lint than normal velcro. Just one
          kind and it sticks to itself. I'm only putting 18" on each side of
          the quilt for the footbox.

          Jeff
        • jack_tier
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 16 3:36 AM
            Velcro bad....Omni Tape Good.....sewing shops call it "Snag Free"
            velcro...more costly...has the sew tracks on the side....EEEEEasy to
            work with....does not snag or scratch you or your stuff...both sides
            are the same...you can't put the hooks on the wrong slide...:-
            )....This what you want....check it out !!!

            BTW....All Jacks 'R' Better products use Omni Tape exclusively.

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 16 4:14 AM
              Jack,

              I have only seen Omni Tape in small packages and have never used it
              or even put my hands on it. Most things are not win, win, win... is
              the Omni Tape a compromise in some areas? What are the tradeoffs
              with regular velro... like holding power, available widths, available
              in black & white, contact pressure to catch, is alignment more
              critical?

              For instance, I use mine on my bugnet for my top entry hammock. When
              I get inside my hammock I can pull the edge of the hammock & bugnet
              towards my feet taut and just slide my foot along the edges to fasten
              the bugnet in that area without having to critically align the two
              pieces or apply much pressure, will that same technique work with
              Omni Tape?

              Dave

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...>

            • rosaleen43@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 16 9:19 AM

                Guys-

                Have you tried switching to a larger needle for the extra thickness of Primaloft or abrasiveness of the Velcro?  Heavier thread might be called for here, too.

                Rosaleen
                Re: More advice, pls

                Snip

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 16 5:52 PM

                  > Jack,
                  >
                  > I have only seen Omni Tape in small packages and have never used
                  it
                  > or even put my hands on it. Most things are not win, win, win...
                  is
                  > the Omni Tape a compromise in some areas? What are the tradeoffs
                  > with regular velro... like holding power, available widths,
                  available
                  > in black & white, contact pressure to catch, is alignment more
                  > critical?

                  Holding power is probably a little less than reg velcro but still
                  very good on average I think of them as almost equal. In the fabric
                  shops I've found 3/4 " but in larger quantities I've only found the
                  1"...US slide n fastener has it in 25 meter rolls...Black is the
                  only color I ever ask for...good enough for Henry Ford good enough
                  for me. Align ment is no issue...if any of it touches it sticks....
                  availability and high cost are the only draw-backs I see....stuff
                  work! And does not pull your fleece etc.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 17 3:26 AM
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@c...> >
                    Holding power is probably a little less than reg velcro but still
                    > very good on average I think of them as almost equal. In the
                    fabric
                    > shops I've found 3/4 " but in larger quantities I've only found the
                    > 1"...US slide n fastener has it in 25 meter rolls...Black is the
                    > only color I ever ask for...good enough for Henry Ford good enough
                    > for me. Align ment is no issue...if any of it touches it sticks....
                    > availability and high cost are the only draw-backs I see....stuff
                    > work! And does not pull your fleece etc.

                    Thanks Jack. My web search turned up 1" wide in white:
                    http://www.homesew.com/velcro.html . They list it in a 25 yard roll
                    or a 2 yard roll. I was expecting the holding power to be equal, the
                    alignment to be more critical and for it to require a little more
                    pressure to get it to stick... go figure. It's not how you think it
                    is going to work, it is how it works and that is why we build
                    prototypes. Wish the width came in more varieties in the larger
                    rolls and that will probably happen as demand shifts from regular
                    Velcro to the Snag-free Velcro.

                    Youngblood
                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 17 11:34 AM
                      > I was expecting the holding power to be equal, the
                      > alignment to be more critical and for it to require a little more
                      > pressure to get it to stick... go figure. It's not how you think

                      I think it works great on the quilt, but I'd be a little hesitant to
                      use in on the bug net. It sticks to itself (as in part of the left
                      side sticks to other parts of the left side), so when you pull the
                      quilt out of the stuff sack you have to straighten each side before
                      you can stick one side to the other. Not a problem at all on the
                      quilt, but it seems like it would make more of a mess with it
                      running all the way down two sides of the bug net. You'd have to
                      untangle it before you could stick it to the hammock, which might
                      require sitting up or even getting out of the hammock...not sure how
                      easy it would be to do laying down like you described.

                      If you give it a try, be sure to let us know how it works!

                      Jeff
                    • jack_tier
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 17 1:53 PM

                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble"
                        <dpwomble@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > I was expecting the holding power to be equal, the
                        > > alignment to be more critical and for it to require a little
                        more
                        > > pressure to get it to stick... go figure. It's not how you
                        think

                        > I think it works great on the quilt, but I'd be a little hesitant
                        > use in on the bug net. It sticks to itself (as in part of the
                        left
                        > side sticks to other parts of the left side), so when you pull the
                        > quilt out of the stuff sack you have to straighten each side
                        before
                        > you can stick one side to the other. Not a problem at all on the
                        > quilt, but it seems like it would make more of a mess with it
                        > running all the way down two sides of the bug net. You'd have to
                        > untangle it before you could stick it to the hammock, which might
                        > require sitting up or even getting out of the hammock...not sure
                        how
                        > easy it would be to do laying down like you described.
                        >
                        > If you give it a try, be sure to let us know how it works!
                        >
                        > Jeff

                        The trick to storing,using easily and avoiding any unnecessary wear
                        and frustration is to close omni tape (or velcro if you have it )on
                        it self before storage...It really does make life simple...Try it
                        you'll like it... Jack
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 17 3:29 PM
                          Thanks Jeff, I didn't think about it sticking to itself... have to
                          think about how that might play out when storing the bugnet by itself
                          and unfurling it before attaching to the hammock... it would be
                          different. Right now everything that is on the bugnet is hooks so it
                          only slightly catches to itself.

                          Youngblood