Re: [Hammock Camping] Travel Pod

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 14, 2004
      jwj32542 wrote:

      >What is condensation like inside a fully enclosed Garlington Taco or
      >TravelPod? It seems like breathing into it would create high
      >humidity and condensation, which might then wet your quilt, or drip
      >all over you when climbing out. Even when using a breathable
      >material.
      >
      >Can the TravelPod function as a hammock bivy? Like if you don't
      >expect rain but wake up to sprinkles, will it protect your quilt
      >until you can throw up the tarp?

      I like to make the TravelPod from plain DWR ripstop. The reason is that
      I often breathe into the inside of it when it is cold. The cloth over
      my face gets moist, but it is warmer than freezing and it dries
      quickly. It does not drip. Below 0 F, some frost accumulates inside
      the fabric, but never much.

      If it were waterproof, it would be like being inside a shower.

      I have had a sprinkle start when I did not have a tarp up. The DWR
      nature of the fabric is not much use in that condition. My quilt did
      not get wet, but it would have if I had wasted a minute more.

      Whenever I expect dew or frost, I put the tarp up. It keeps the dew
      from forming on the top layer of the travelpod and the quilt.

      Risk