HH Tarp as a Garlington Insulator

  • jmellis01
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 14, 2004
      Hi Folks,
      This may be a total waste but I had a thought on the way home
      this evening. Has anyone tried using their asym HH tarp as a
      garlington insulator? It's already the right shape and approximate
      size. I thought you could just clip it at the head end, then bring
      the side ropes up over the ridgeline and tie them off. I think you
      might have to rig up a string at the foot end to pull it into
      position once you're inside the hammock.
      I haven't tried building a or using a GI yet but I was just
      curious if anyone had done this. I picked up a JRB 8x8 tarp the
      other day so I'm looking to recycle the stock tarp.

      Thanks,
      John
    • G. Herron
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 14, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmellis01" <jmellis01@y...
        wrote:

        Hi Folks,
        This may be a total waste but I had a thought on the way home
        this evening. Has anyone tried using their asym HH tarp as a
        garlington insulator? It's already the right shape and approximate
        size. I thought you could just clip it at the head end, then bring
        the side ropes up over the ridgeline and tie them off. I think you
        might have to rig up a string at the foot end to pull it into
        position once you're inside the hammock.
        I haven't tried building a or using a GI yet but I was just
        curious if anyone had done this. I picked up a JRB 8x8 tarp the
        other day so I'm looking to recycle the stock tarp.

        Thanks,
        John

        Hi John,

        http://www.paysheet.com/underfly/underfly.htm

        This guy has an interesting way of setting his up. I tried it but
        did not put too much effort into it as I'm not close to a supply
        store to buy some of the parts he listed needed. I just put on a few
        tie downs and used shock cord inplace of the hardware.

        Glee
      • dlfrost_1
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 15, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "G. Herron" <glherron46@y...>
          wrote:
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jmellis01" <jmellis01@y...
          > wrote:
          > Hi Folks,
          > This may be a total waste but I had a thought on the way home
          > this evening. Has anyone tried using their asym HH tarp as a
          > garlington insulator?
          [...]
          > Hi John,
          >
          > http://www.paysheet.com/underfly/underfly.htm
          >
          > This guy has an interesting way of setting his up. I tried it but
          > did not put too much effort into it as I'm not close to a supply
          > store to buy some of the parts he listed needed. I just put on a
          few
          > tie downs and used shock cord inplace of the hardware.
          >
          > Glee

          If you just want to try this out (or if you don't want to sew) go to
          Lowe's, get 2 or 4 of the small Gator Clips, and use those in place
          of the sewn-on attachments. (Only use them on the reinforced edges,
          not the sil-ny fabric.)

          Doug Frost
        • Ray Garlington
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 16, 2004
            wrote:
            > Has anyone tried using their asym HH tarp as a
            > garlington insulator? It's already the right shape and
            approximate
            > size. I thought you could just clip it at the head end, then
            bring
            > the side ropes up over the ridgeline and tie them off.

            The main problem with fitting a second skin to the bottom of the HH
            is the entry. Originally, I thought using a pull string would work
            pretty well. It does work, but entry still seems awkward to me.
            (I've been using the GI as a second skin on the Speer-style hammocks
            for a couple of seasons now, and have gotten used to that level of
            ease of entry.)

            Anyhow, I have not tried it, but think you are correct that it could
            be adapted easily. I think I'd try attaching it to the support lines
            just like it was going to be installed above the tarp, but suspend
            it below. Connecting the corners up and over the ridgeline seems
            like a good idea. I'd probably try using a bungee cord to connect
            them. (alternatively, I'd also try substituting some non-stretch
            cord for the side pulls and see if you could clip the tarp corners
            to that and still get enough 'lift' to hold up the insulation.
            Perhaps you could insert a small length of bungee between the side
            pulls and the hammock-body pull out to give you a little sway) In
            any event, it is very important to get your insulation up against
            the bottom of the hammock, without compressing it excessively.

            For entry, I'd try cutting a slit, slightly offset from the one in
            the hammock bottom. That way you can slip into the hammock and
            (hopefully) both shells will close behind you.
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 17, 2004
              Ihad considered that but since the stock tarp is still my only tarp I
              have not tried it yet. I do use it kind like snake skins though. I
              just wrap the whole hammock up in the tarp then twist a little and
              put it away. Not bad but I'm looking into skins anyway.

              Tell us out it comes out if you try the GI idea.

              jamie in AZ

              wrote:

              > Hi Folks,
              > This may be a total waste but I had a thought on the way home
              > this evening. Has anyone tried using their asym HH tarp as a
              > garlington insulator? It's already the right shape and approximate
              > size. I thought you could just clip it at the head end, then bring
              > the side ropes up over the ridgeline and tie them off. I think you
              > might have to rig up a string at the foot end to pull it into
              > position once you're inside the hammock.
              > I haven't tried building a or using a GI yet but I was just
              > curious if anyone had done this. I picked up a JRB 8x8 tarp the
              > other day so I'm looking to recycle the stock tarp.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > John
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 18, 2004
                > Not bad but I'm looking into skins anyway.

                Skins were one of my first sewing projects. I used $1/yd RN and
                it's all straight seams. Not waterproof (unless you spray it, I
                guess), but a lot cheaper than $20 and super simple.

                Why don't you try to make your own?

                Jeff
              • walkonemile50
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 19, 2004
                  Skins were one of my first sewing projects. I used $1/yd RN and
                  it's all straight seams. Not waterproof (unless you spray it, I
                  guess), but a lot cheaper than $20 and super simple.

                  Quick questions... Is the (RN) stand for ripstop nylon?) Could you
                  use a lite weight material which is waterproof for the skins?
                  Thanks
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 19, 2004
                    walkonemile50 wrote:

                    >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...>
                    >wrote:
                    >Skins were one of my first sewing projects. I used $1/yd RN and
                    >it's all straight seams. Not waterproof (unless you spray it, I
                    >guess), but a lot cheaper than $20 and super simple.
                    >

                    >Quick questions... Is the (RN) stand for ripstop nylon?) Could you
                    >use a lite weight material which is waterproof for the skins?
                    >Thanks

                    Silnylon works great.

                    http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/hammocktube.htm

                    Rick
                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 19, 2004
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "walkonemile50"
                      <glherron46@y...> wrote:
                      > Quick questions... Is the (RN) stand for ripstop nylon?) Could
                      you
                      > use a lite weight material which is waterproof for the skins?

                      Yes, ripstop nylon.

                      As Rick says, silnylon works great...you just don't find it for
                      $1/yd on the Walmart clearance rack very often! RN of various
                      weights is there from time to time, though, so you can experiment
                      because at $1/yd money really isn't a factor.

                      And silnylon might not be the easiest for a first project, but
                      regular old ripstop isn't too tough to work with.

                      Jeff
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 19, 2004
                        Oh Jeff I love your optimism but I'm not much for sewing and I do not
                        own a machine or have access to one.

                        jamie in az