Book Recommendation

  • G. Herron
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
      Book Recommendation
      I've heard a few things about these 2 books
      Beyond Backpacking & Rayway Tarp Book
      By Ray Jardine

      I was wondering what some of you might think of them and if they are
      worth buying. I want to make my own fly and going lightweight....
      Thanks
    • Chuck Haak
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
        G. Herron wrote:
        Book Recommendation
        I've heard a few things about these 2 books
        Beyond Backpacking & Rayway Tarp Book
        By Ray Jardine

        I found a copy of Beyond Backpacking at the used bookstore and snapped
        it up. There is a wealth of good information in the book. I am not a
        thru-hiker, so some of you may be better able to speak to the thru-hiker
        issues, but for us occasional weekend backpackers there are lots of good
        ideas to ponder. I especially liked the information on nutrition and
        wish he would follow up with more specific information and recipes.

        Note, however, that Ray is no fan of hammocks and goes through a litany
        of ojections. But then he sleeps night after night on a 3/8" closed cell
        pad. Tried that, didn't sleep.

        Pbmoo4
      • rambler4466
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "G. Herron" <glherron46@y...>
          wrote:

          > Book Recommendation
          > I've heard a few things about these 2 books
          > Beyond Backpacking & Rayway Tarp Book
          > By Ray Jardine
          >
          > I was wondering what some of you might think of them and if they
          are
          > worth buying. I want to make my own fly and going lightweight....
          > Thanks

          Beyond Backpacking has plans for making a tarp with beaks and stuff
          sacks, so you would not have to buy both books. Beyond Backpacking
          has many suggestions about lightweight hiking and it started me on
          the journey you are on. His ideas began golite.com making his
          products. (Breeze pack and Cave tarps) He also does not advocate
          trekking poles which I use and like. He also carries his pack over
          one shoulder, I tried that, too, for maybe 100 yards! I hike in low
          cut footware unless it is winter, and I've found many of his
          suggestions useful. His latest edition does have some more details
          than the original. In short, a very useful book.

          The Tarp book spends 100 pages out of 190 describing how to use a
          tarp and its advantages. pp. 100-110 describe tarps made of simple
          materials, like plastic. The rest of the book is devoted to
          describing his sewing projects, including the tent of mosquito
          netting that goes under a tarp (see golite website for the "nest").
          He describes his kits that are on his website (ray-way.com)
          including fabric and thread, webbing, and guylines. He shows with
          diagrams and measurements how to make the tarp pieces and stow
          bags. In short, he has more detail than Beyond Backpacking, but
          covers much of the same info, too. So, start with Beyond
          Backpacking.
        • rambler4466
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rambler4466"
            <rambler4466@h...> wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "G. Herron"
            <glherron46@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Book Recommendation
            > > I've heard a few things about these 2 books
            > > Beyond Backpacking & Rayway Tarp Book
            > > By Ray Jardine
            > >
            > > I was wondering what some of you might think of them and if they
            > are
            > > worth buying. I want to make my own fly and going
            lightweight....
            > > Thanks
            >
            > Sorry, how does one edit one's post?
            Beyond Backpacking was first published in 1998. It is now in its
            fourth printing. Ray-Way Tarp book, published in 2003.
          • navjohn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004

              In a message dated 12/14/04 11:54:07 AM, glherron46@... writes:

              I've heard a few things about these 2 books
              Beyond Backpacking & Rayway Tarp Book
              By Ray Jardine

              I was wondering what some of you might think of them and if they are
              worth buying.   I want to make my own fly and going lightweight....
              Thanks

              Haven't read the Tarp Book, buy would wholeheartedly recommend
              Beyond Backpacking. It's probably the bible of lightweight backpacking.  Even if you don't agree with everything Ray says, you're bound to be influenced by this book.  It's a "must read" for anyone contemplating going light.

              John
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
                G. Herron wrote:

                >Book Recommendation
                >I've heard a few things about these 2 books
                >Beyond Backpacking & Rayway Tarp Book
                >By Ray Jardine
                >
                >I was wondering what some of you might think of them and if they are
                >worth buying. I want to make my own fly and going lightweight....
                >Thanks

                Beyond backpacking is a must read. It contains some of the best and
                some of the worst advice I have ever seen. Some of it needs to be tried
                and adopted, and some needs to be tried and discarded. Nearly
                everything he has to say about water, food, and non-ultralight hiking
                topics is looney IMHO.

                Rick
              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 15, 2004
                  > Beyond backpacking is a must read. It contains some of the best
                  and
                  > some of the worst advice I have ever seen.

                  Couldn't agree more. Especially about carrying only the minimum of
                  water. Or barely more than the minimum, I guess. Still, water
                  isn't something you shouldn't mess around with even though it's
                  heavy. I always carry an extra 20oz bottle that I try to never
                  open...just my backup. Though I've had it empty and run out
                  before...not good!

                  But this book is what got me started into lightweight once I got the
                  bug.

                  I just saw it last night in the Children's section of the library,
                  btw. Unless you're using his plans (which you could probably get
                  from one of us online), you can just check it out instead of buying
                  it.

                  Jeff
                • G. Herron
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 15, 2004
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@y...
                    wrote:

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@i... wrote: Beyond
                    backpacking is a must read. It contains some of the best and some of
                    the worst advice I have ever seen.

                    Couldn't agree more. Especially about carrying only the minimum of
                    water. Or barely more than the minimum, I guess. Still, water isn't
                    something you shouldn't mess around with even though it's heavy. I
                    always carry an extra 20oz bottle that I try to never open... just my
                    backup. Though I've had it empty and run out before... not good!

                    But this book is what got me started into lightweight once I got the
                    bug.

                    I just saw it last night in the Children's section of the library,
                    btw. Unless you're using his plans (which you could probably get from
                    one of us online), you can just check it out instead of buying it.

                    Jeff

                    Thanks... Would love for someone to send me the plans as funds are
                    always in short supply..
                    Glee