Re: [Hammock Camping] Subject: Fabric Sources

  • john hill
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2004
      This question has probably been answered a thousand times already but how do you attach these under quilts to the hammocks?

      another question, off topic, again answered I'm sure before, when using the truck windshield sun screen with the foil side, which side is toward the body?

      thanks,
      john

      ptoddf@... wrote:
      Thomas,

      I suggest you check out the Thinsulate products from Quest Outfitters. I used Thinsulate Lite Loft THL2-90, 0.8 inches thick and 2.8 oz per sq. yd
      for an experimental underquilt for my HH UL Asym. This is an impressive blanket kind of insulation, seems to loft higher than the nominal 0.8 inches. I folded over the edges of the light nylon bottom cover to trap the edges of the trimmed Thinsulate blanket and sewed through the fold to hold it in place.

      I added an extra layer of insulation in the critical torso and shoulder areas using a light spray of 3M spray glue to hold the 2 layers together. I believe this was the type 77 spray. Anyway, a very light spray on the mating surfaces welds this stuff together. This allows experimentation to increase insulation in some areas without doubling the whole thing. Or just go to the heavier Thinsulate and be done with it.

      I suggest this as a much cheaper and easier way to try out your bottom insulation project. You can always go to down later once you get a sense of what you need and where. Thinsulate is easy to use and pretty cheap. It does need a bottom cover -- it's just a blanket of fibrous insulation.

      Best, Todd in Tarzana.

      Do you Yahoo!?