Nice weather for a night out.

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2004
      We finally had a non-rainy weekend, so I spent Friday night out in
      the hammock. Warning: no deep or profound insights are contained
      below.

      I put long closed cell pad between the layers of my double bottom
      speer type hammock. It is 72" by 24" by 3/4" or 5/8". It is not cut
      or overlapped or anything. I strung the hammock so that when I was
      in it the angle of the support rope to the ridgeline was about 30
      degrees.

      I wore fleece pants, long underwear, long sleeved shirt, coat, neck
      gaiter, fleece hat, and wool socks. I used my cheapie "40 degree"
      synthetic sleeping bag as a quilt. At first I didn't want to wear
      the coat because it is not comfortable to wear in my sleeping bag on
      the ground, but I decided that it was good to wear it, since it
      provided warmth and is something I would have along on a real trip.

      I figured I would eventually get cold, so I strung a ridgeline so
      that I could rig an undercover if I got too cold. I did not have a
      tarp.

      The pad stayed in place very nicely. It wrapped around me well. I
      did get cold spots where I touched the uninsulated sides of the
      hammock, but putting the sleeping bag in between me and the side got
      rid of the cold spot.

      I eventually woke up cold, but it was coming from the tops of my
      legs, rather than the bottom of the hammock. This surprised me. So,
      I just draped the blanket I was going to use as an undercover over
      the ridgeline. The air was still, so this trapped in a lot of the
      heat I was losing to conduction and probably also reduced my
      radiative cooling.

      The overnight low was about 45 degrees and I slept very well the rest
      of the night. My coat that I thought might be uncomfortable was not
      a problem at all. I am a side sleeper and was able to get sideways
      enough to sleep great. I didn't wake up with the shoulder and hip
      soreness I get from groundsleeping.

      So next on my wish list is a tarp, and a sleeping bag that will work
      as a peapod type thing to cover me above and below. And eventually I
      will need some bug netting. I may also want side tieouts to reduce
      the swinging, but it seemed okay this time.

      Thanks for your help.
      Bill in Houston