Insulated hammock set-up (was part of "how thick" and other posts)

  • Eric Sandberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2004
      I'm glad folks are interested in my set up. But I must admit that
      when I typed in the weight, I missed a decimal point. It's 3 lbs,
      10 oz (not 1 oz). Still pretty light, but I don't want to mislead
      anyone.

      It's based on a Speer type. Locally bought 1.9 oz ripstop for the
      body, 1.1 oz for the insulation case, and 3 layers of "Continuous
      filament" insulation (they can't say it's Polarguard 3D) from
      Outdoor World Fabrics. It includes a quilt made of the same stuff
      (1.1 and 2 layers of polarguard) and a 5' X 10' silnylon poncho tarp.

      The only thing I would add to Risk's description (by the way, thanks
      to the person who added the WarmHammock link. I haven't been able
      to figure out how to do that yet) is to make sure you put some
      quilting threads just a few inches from the edges. Otherwise the
      insulation slides down just a bit and leaves the sides exposed.

      Regarding going out in the rain when the poncho is set up as a tarp,
      I've made a nylon wind jacket and pants (similar to what Jardine
      writes about) that weighs 7 oz. This works fine in all but the
      worst downpour.