Re: Hammock Camping Digest Number 59

  • drdlm <drdlm@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2003
      Interesting that Home Depot isn't consistant. You might also check
      with local hardware stores. A relatively small store down the street
      from my office that sells everything from light fixtures to plumbing
      supplies, stocks the reflectix in the area where they also sell
      fiberglass insulation for hot water heaters. They sell it in
      different widths but the 24" width (any length you want) sells for
      $1.15 a foot, and so a 6 foot length is in the 7 dollar range. If
      you have a Lowes store, you might check there also.
      Dean

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, nafister@u... wrote:
      > So, I guess I'm not crazy either. I had the same luck when I went
      back to
      > my only local Home Depot and searched the insulation area
      (Colonelcorn's
      > email in hand) one more time for reflectix. All they had was the
      > fiberglass stuff. The time before a nice, helpful man walked all
      over the
      > store with me looking for the stuff. He thought it would be with
      the
      > ducting supplies and then someplace else and finally we wound up in
      the
      > insulation area where the guy that worked there was asked. He
      scratched
      > his head and said no they didn't have anything like that. His
      final reply
      > was 'not all Home Depot stores carry the same items.' So, if and
      when I
      > get up around Chicago area, I will check out some other Home Depots.
      > Nancy
      >

      > > Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:41:15 -0700
      > > From: "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>
      > >Subject: Reflectix - Colonelcorn letter to Nancy
      > >
      > >Just wanted all you hammock people to know my experience in Home
      Depot
      > >today.
      > >
      > >I took a day off from skiing, drove the 60 miles to Twin Falls,
      Idaho, and

    • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, nafister@u... wrote:
        > He scratched
        > his head and said no they didn't have anything like that. His
        final reply
        > was 'not all Home Depot stores carry the same items.' So, if and
        when I
        > get up around Chicago area, I will check out some other Home
        Depots.
        > Nancy

        While that's *technically* correct, it's not likely with a product
        like this. The local differences have to do with the needs of the
        local market and thing like insulation are generic. Reflectix is
        used to wrap ducts (heating & cooling) or for lining attics (to keep
        the heat out down south and keep the heat in up north). The stuff
        that's not the same is usually seasonal or cabinetry items.

        You likely got the stock answer we would give when we couldn't find
        anything (long long ago in a galaxy far away I used to work in a
        supermarket) or didn't want to bother looking for it. That way it
        looks like it's "corporate's" problem and not because he didn't want
        to be helpful. They get points for helpfulness (monthly awards,
        etc.) so they will try or at least make it look like they're trying
        even when it's out of their dept.

        I'll stop by again tonight and get the SKU and other defining
        numbers and post it. Then you can call your local HD and say I'm
        looking for "....." and they can look it up in their computer and
        tell you whether they have it, how much is in stock, and where it's
        found in the store.

        Jim