Re: Hammock Camping Digest Number 59

  • nafister@uti.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2003
      So, I guess I'm not crazy either. I had the same luck when I went back to
      my only local Home Depot and searched the insulation area (Colonelcorn's
      email in hand) one more time for reflectix. All they had was the
      fiberglass stuff. The time before a nice, helpful man walked all over the
      store with me looking for the stuff. He thought it would be with the
      ducting supplies and then someplace else and finally we wound up in the
      insulation area where the guy that worked there was asked. He scratched
      his head and said no they didn't have anything like that. His final reply
      was 'not all Home Depot stores carry the same items.' So, if and when I
      get up around Chicago area, I will check out some other Home Depots.
      Nancy

      > Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:41:15 -0700
      > From: "Marge Prothman" <marge@...>
      >Subject: Reflectix - Colonelcorn letter to Nancy
      >
      >Just wanted all you hammock people to know my experience in Home Depot
      >today.
      >
      >I took a day off from skiing, drove the 60 miles to Twin Falls, Idaho, and
      >the Home
      >Depot Store. Had in my hand a copy of colonelcorn email to Nancy with all
      >the directions
      >on how to find the Reflectix.
      >
      >Finally found a orange vested man to help me, I had looked and could not
      see
    • drdlm <drdlm@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 27, 2003
        Interesting that Home Depot isn't consistant. You might also check
        with local hardware stores. A relatively small store down the street
        from my office that sells everything from light fixtures to plumbing
        supplies, stocks the reflectix in the area where they also sell
        fiberglass insulation for hot water heaters. They sell it in
        different widths but the 24" width (any length you want) sells for
        $1.15 a foot, and so a 6 foot length is in the 7 dollar range. If
        you have a Lowes store, you might check there also.
        Dean

      • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 27, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, nafister@u... wrote:
          > He scratched
          > his head and said no they didn't have anything like that. His
          final reply
          > was 'not all Home Depot stores carry the same items.' So, if and
          when I
          > get up around Chicago area, I will check out some other Home
          Depots.
          > Nancy

          While that's *technically* correct, it's not likely with a product
          like this. The local differences have to do with the needs of the
          local market and thing like insulation are generic. Reflectix is
          used to wrap ducts (heating & cooling) or for lining attics (to keep
          the heat out down south and keep the heat in up north). The stuff
          that's not the same is usually seasonal or cabinetry items.

          You likely got the stock answer we would give when we couldn't find
          anything (long long ago in a galaxy far away I used to work in a
          supermarket) or didn't want to bother looking for it. That way it
          looks like it's "corporate's" problem and not because he didn't want
          to be helpful. They get points for helpfulness (monthly awards,
          etc.) so they will try or at least make it look like they're trying
          even when it's out of their dept.

          I'll stop by again tonight and get the SKU and other defining
          numbers and post it. Then you can call your local HD and say I'm
          looking for "....." and they can look it up in their computer and
          tell you whether they have it, how much is in stock, and where it's
          found in the store.

          Jim