Re: [Hammock Camping] Kids at Springer New Years?

  • karens62@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2004
      "Anyone taking kids to the Springer New Years? If I don't have to work, I'm considering bringing the wife and kids (she's pseudo-promised to camp with me...)."

      I haven't seen kids up there for New Year's but there is no reason they couldn't come as long as the noise, people and "entertainment" doesn't bother them, or you. After all, it's just a shelter and open to anyone.

      Please remember though that it is a mile hike in from the FS road and we have had some really cold weather up there. A couple of years ago, it was nearing zero by 10pm. It's pretty bad when the beer freezes in the can while you are drinking it. Those temps can be difficult for kids to deal with when they have some place warm to retreat to, never mind out camping. Hiking downhill a mile in the dark is a long way to go to get back to the car with a hypothermic kid.

      Sorry if I sound like a party pooper but I have seen people make that hike out in the dark because it was too cold for their dog (smart owners). I would hate for you to have to do it because the kids were miserable.