[Hammock Camping] Re: How thick

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
      <redroach@e...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the feedback.
      > Most of the time I will never use my hammock in temps that cold.
      Texas just
      > doesn't let me.
      >
      > But, once or twice a year I get to California or Colorado and it
      gets a wee
      > bit cold.

      If you can afford the extra $20 for more 1.1oz DWR, you could make
      one from .8" primaloft and one from 1.3" primaloft. That way in
      Texas you'd have a top and bottom quilt, but when you go to CO or CA
      you could rig them both to the bottom and use a winter bag as a top
      quilt.

      Just a thought.

      Jeff
    • navjohn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2004

        In a message dated 12/8/04 1:51:40 AM, jdeben@... writes:

        If you use your poncho as a tarp, after you have set up your shelter
        how do you do around camp things or go to the bathroom when it's
        raining?

        Consider an umbrella.  Golite makes one specifically for backpacking (lightweight -- around 11 ounces).  Some folks (most notably Ray Jardine) advocate umbrellas as their main source of rain protection while hiking, only shifting to other alternatives when it's too windy to wield the 'brella.  An umbrella and poncho might be a good all-round combination.
        John