Fabric Sources

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
      I spent a few minutes at outdoor wilderness fabrics website and boy was I
      shocked.

      The killer is the primaloft insulation.
      If I go for 2 inches of insulation, my total price is somewhere near $75 US.

      Not exactly a cheap beginner's project.

      Does anyone have other ideas for fabric/insulation sources online?

      Anything other insulating materials idea?

      TV
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
        I don't know much about primaloft. Is it used in sleeping bags?
        Could you buy a used primaloft sleeping bag for not too much money?
        Then you could either modify the bag to be your underquilt, or take
        it apart to remove the insulation. Sorry if I'm not making sense.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
        <redroach@e...> wrote:
        > I spent a few minutes at outdoor wilderness fabrics website and boy
        was I
        > shocked.
        >
        > The killer is the primaloft insulation.
        > If I go for 2 inches of insulation, my total price is somewhere
        near $75 US.

        > Not exactly a cheap beginner's project.
        >
        > Does anyone have other ideas for fabric/insulation sources online?
        >
        > Anything other insulating materials idea?
        >
        > TV
      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
          > I spent a few minutes at outdoor wilderness fabrics website and
          > boy was I shocked.

          Check the electrical connections of your keyboard. You might have a short.

          I just found this:

          http://www.rochfordsupply.com/

          Looks like they have some things that might be useable.

          Shane
        • Craig
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
            Would Thinsulate be a good alternative?

            > > The killer is the primaloft insulation.
            > > If I go for 2 inches of insulation, my total price
            > is somewhere
            > near $75 US.
            > >
            > > Not exactly a cheap beginner's project.

            http://my.yahoo.com
          • Thomas Vickers
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
              I will check Shane's link.
              Most insulation was about the same price 8-11 Dollars US a yard.

              I like the idea for two underquilts, that means more sewing and more fabric,
              but it might be doable.

              TV
            • dlfrost_1
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2004
                <redroach@e...> wrote:
                > Does anyone have other ideas for fabric/insulation sources online?
                >
                > Anything other insulating materials idea?

                One possibility is a foam matress pad (sold almost everywhere). A
                twin-size pad folded in half is 27x76 in., provides 2" of loft, and
                weighs 22 ounces. They're not expensive--about $12 if memory
                serves. Because it's open cell foam it does need to be contained in
                some kind of shell.

                Since I already have a left-over one I'm going to try it with a
                Garlington insulator setup using the stock HH tarp adapted for the
                purpose, as described here in Gear Collector's Underfly page:
                http://www.paysheet.com/underfly/underfly.htm

                The only problem is figuring stowage, as the foam is rather springy
                and will fight efforts to roll it. (Perhaps a Granite Gear
                compression sack...)

                Doug Frost
              • john hill
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 13, 2004
                  If you try a compression sack with the open foam be sure and post how it did.  I've thought about the egg crate foam matteress pads.

                  <redroach@e...> wrote:
                  > Does anyone have other ideas for fabric/insulation sources online?
                  >
                  > Anything other insulating materials idea?

                  One possibility is a foam matress pad (sold almost everywhere).  A
                  twin-size pad folded in half is 27x76 in., provides 2" of loft, and
                  weighs 22 ounces.  They're not expensive--about $12 if memory
                  serves.  Because it's open cell foam it does need to be contained in
                  some kind of shell.

                  Since I already have a left-over one I'm going to try it with a
                  Garlington insulator setup using the stock HH tarp adapted for the
                  purpose, as described here in Gear Collector's Underfly page:
                  http://www.paysheet.com/underfly/underfly.htm

                  The only problem is figuring stowage, as the foam is rather springy
                  and will fight efforts to roll it.  (Perhaps a Granite Gear
                  compression sack...)

                  Doug Frost

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • dlfrost_1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 14, 2004
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, john hill <nil_dog@y...> wrote:
                    > If you try a compression sack with the open foam be sure and post
                    how it did. I've thought about the egg crate foam matteress pads.

                    Will do, but I'm not to that point yet. Right now I just want to rig
                    up something quick to test it Wed. overnight, when 20deg. temps are
                    predicted. So I'll just fold it and hold it (to the hammock bottom)
                    under a shell.

                    If it works out I will cut the pad into two pieces so they can be
                    rolled seperately (and so I can take one or both). Then I might be
                    able to use two stuff sacks of the right size for a friction fit.
                    This would make them easier to pack. Otherwise I'll compress em.
                    We'll see...

                    Doug Frost