Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: How thick

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
      Thanks for the feedback.
      Most of the time I will never use my hammock in temps that cold. Texas just
      doesn't let me.

      But, once or twice a year I get to California or Colorado and it gets a wee
      bit cold.

      I also don't like the idea of pads in the hammock, like I said earlier.

      One reason I am going to a hammock is that sleeping on the ground just isn't
      cutting it anyone. Too tired of sleepless nights because I can't get
      comfortable.

      TV
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
        <redroach@e...> wrote:
        > Thanks for the feedback.
        > Most of the time I will never use my hammock in temps that cold.
        Texas just
        > doesn't let me.
        >
        > But, once or twice a year I get to California or Colorado and it
        gets a wee
        > bit cold.

        If you can afford the extra $20 for more 1.1oz DWR, you could make
        one from .8" primaloft and one from 1.3" primaloft. That way in
        Texas you'd have a top and bottom quilt, but when you go to CO or CA
        you could rig them both to the bottom and use a winter bag as a top
        quilt.

        Just a thought.

        Jeff
      • navjohn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2004

          In a message dated 12/8/04 1:51:40 AM, jdeben@... writes:

          If you use your poncho as a tarp, after you have set up your shelter
          how do you do around camp things or go to the bathroom when it's
          raining?

          Consider an umbrella.  Golite makes one specifically for backpacking (lightweight -- around 11 ounces).  Some folks (most notably Ray Jardine) advocate umbrellas as their main source of rain protection while hiking, only shifting to other alternatives when it's too windy to wield the 'brella.  An umbrella and poncho might be a good all-round combination.
          John