How thick

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
      I am getting material together to have a go at the Kelly Wise pattern and I
      have a question.

      I don't want to use a pad in the hammock. For me, that would kill a lot of
      the comfort and fun of it.

      So....
      In order to stay warm in 35 + Degrees F, how thick of a synthetic insulation
      should I try in the underpad?

      I won't try down on my first sewing attempt, so it is not an option.

      1/2 inch?
      3/4 inch?
      1 inch ?

      Any of these too much? too little?

      TV
    • JackWMyers
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
        Thomas,

        All of those are probably too little. Our Jacks R Better Nest under
        quilts are made to have 1.5 inches of loft. We've had mixed reports
        on their effectiveness in near freezing temperatures. I've
        personally used them in the low 40s and been quite comfortable. Two
        (2) inches of loft/thickness is probably a safe bet to insure
        comfort near freezing.

        Regards,

        Jack Myers aka Smee

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers"
        <redroach@e...> wrote:
        > I am getting material together to have a go at the Kelly Wise
        pattern and I
        > have a question.
        >
        > I don't want to use a pad in the hammock. For me, that would kill
        a lot of
        > the comfort and fun of it.
        >
        > So....
        > In order to stay warm in 35 + Degrees F, how thick of a synthetic
        insulation
        > should I try in the underpad?
        >
        > I won't try down on my first sewing attempt, so it is not an
        option.

        > 1/2 inch?
        > 3/4 inch?
        > 1 inch ?
        >
        > Any of these too much? too little?
        >
        > TV
      • Eric Sandberg
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
          My experience with under the hammock insulation is that I use the
          same thickness (loft) that I do for the quilt. So looking at the
          commercial sleeping bags the ratings seem to be about: 1.5 inches
          for a 40 degree quilt or under quilt (equals 3 inches loft in a
          sleeping bag), 2 inches for 30 degrees, 2.5 inches for 20 degrees,
          3.25 inches for 10 degrees, and 4 inches for 0 degrees.

          I put 2.25 inches under my recent hammock and have been down to 25
          degrees so far with no travel shelter, pad, or tarp (it was a clear
          beautiful night). I was in a bathing suit shorts, light bergalene
          top, fleece socks, knit hat - and I was too hot. Had to take off
          the socks and put on a lighter hat. I'm making a travelshelter now
          and expect to get to at least 0 with it (I live in New England).
          One disclaimer - I don't use an underquilt. I think sewing the
          insulation right to the bottom of the hammock is much warmer (See
          Rick's WarmHammock or the insulated hammock on "The lightweight
          Backpacker" website).

          My insulated hammock, tarp/poncho, and sleeping quilt weight 3 lbs,
          1 oz including the stakes and lines - way less than the lightest
          tent, bag, and pad setup I could find, and more comfortable to boot.

          Enjoy the woods,
          Eric

          <redroach@e...> wrote:
          > I am getting material together to have a go at the Kelly Wise
          pattern and I
          > have a question.
          >
          > I don't want to use a pad in the hammock. For me, that would kill
          a lot of
          > the comfort and fun of it.
          >
          > So....
          > In order to stay warm in 35 + Degrees F, how thick of a synthetic
          insulation
          > should I try in the underpad?
          >
          > I won't try down on my first sewing attempt, so it is not an
          option.

          > 1/2 inch?
          > 3/4 inch?
          > 1 inch ?
          >
          > Any of these too much? too little?
          >
          > TV
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
            Okay, here's a question I've been running around in my mind for a
            little while and your post reminded me.....

            If you use your poncho as a tarp, after you have set up your shelter
            how do you do around camp things or go to the bathroom when it's
            raining? I guess you could just get a little wet or wait out the
            storm but sometimes that isn't an option. Is this a silly question?
            I just foresee needing the poncho at some point and not being able to
            use it because it's over my hammock.

            jamie in az

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Sandberg"
            <docteric@y...> wrote:

            > My insulated hammock, tarp/poncho, and sleeping quilt weight 3 lbs,
            > 1 oz including the stakes and lines - way less than the lightest
            > tent, bag, and pad setup I could find, and more comfortable to boot.
            >
            > Enjoy the woods,
            > Eric
          • J.D. Hoessle
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
              wrote:
              > My insulated hammock, tarp/poncho, and sleeping quilt weight 3 lbs,
              > 1 oz including the stakes and lines - way less than the lightest
              > tent, bag, and pad setup I could find, and more comfortable to boot.

              Eric,

              Thanks for this posting! I am impressed with the weight. My primary
              interest in "studying" hammocks and going to Springer on NYE has been
              to reduce weight. Rapidly moving into first palce is the "comfort
              factor" that everyone raves about.

              Question(s):

              Does your set-up (sewing DIRECTLY) increase bulk significantly and
              become problematic when setting-up or stowing?

              Is it a Speer or H.H. ?

              Happy Trails,

              J.D.
            • Ray Garlington
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
                <redroach@e...> wrote:
                > I won't try down on my first sewing attempt, so it is not an
                option.

                Just a word of support for this non-option, and an idea you might be
                able to work with.

                Down can be found very cheaply in the form of an old US army mummy
                bag. One of those will do about 3 quilts. I got one for $1.00 at a
                flea market.

                Using this down and gardenville's idea of tubes you can control the
                down fairly easily. Just make enough silk tubes (use the silk gauze
                he refers to) that when put side by side will make a quilt of the
                desired size. Transfer the down to each silk tube using the vaccuum
                and a cardboard tube technique, then sew the end of each silk tube
                shut. Finally, make an outer silk bag (use a heavier silk, not
                gauze) and slide the tubes in. (This idea is basicaly gardenville's
                airmatress, without the mylar tubes)

                I haven't tried this yet, but plan to soon. The sewing for the tubes
                & outer bag is very easy, so don't worry about that. If you decide
                to try it, let us know how it works out for you.
              • Dick Matthews
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
                  Jamie,

                  I also carry a Dancing Light silnylon jacket and clip it to the hammock
                  line. 4.4 oz. and can also be a vapor barrier shirt.

                  Dick in CO

                  chcoa wrote:

                  >Okay, here's a question I've been running around in my mind for a
                  >little while and your post reminded me.....
                  >
                  >If you use your poncho as a tarp, after you have set up your shelter
                  >how do you do around camp things or go to the bathroom when it's
                  >raining? I guess you could just get a little wet or wait out the
                  >storm but sometimes that isn't an option. Is this a silly question?
                  >I just foresee needing the poncho at some point and not being able to
                  >use it because it's over my hammock.
                  >
                  >jamie in az

                • G. Herron
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
                    wrote:
                    I think sewing the insulation right to the bottom of the hammock is
                    much warmer (See Rick's WarmHammock or the insulated hammock on "The
                    lightweight Backpacker" website).

                    Rick's WarmHammock - Could you give me a link to this.. I went to
                    the site and did a number of searchs and was unable to find anything..

                    Thanks
                  • Rat
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 9, 2004
                      Here it is, located on the home page in the Hammock Links section.

                      http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "G. Herron" <glherron46@y...>