Re: How far are you willing to go to make the hammock work?

  • jmellis01
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 7, 2004
      This has been a great thread so far. I'm glad to hear I'm not
      the only one having lackluster results with the pad in a hammock
      setup. I tried out my "system" over the weekend with less than
      favorable results.
      The winter humidity here in Germany is super high and there was
      a really heavy fog with temps just above freezing. I set up my HH
      on a gentle hillside in a sheltered area. I was using a 30 degree
      synthetic bag as a quilt and a thin "blue foam" style pad beneath
      me. In addition to the foam pad I had a windshield reflector style
      pad I picked up in the UK. It seemed like the perfect thing when I
      got it with the thin foam and reflective surface. It folds in
      thirds and then rolls up into a tight little bundle. Trying to stay
      on two pads and wiggle into position took some work but wasn't too
      bad.
      The combination of pads, bag, and my clothing was adequate for
      the temps I was in for about 4 hours. Around 2am I woke up when the
      condensation building up underneath me finally began to soak through
      my clothing. The top half of me was still warm and toasty but from
      my shoulders to my lower back was getting pretty uncomfortable. Had
      I been in the far off frontier I probably could have stuck it out
      til morning. Since I was just up the street from my house I bailed
      out and headed home.
      I think for me the underquilt will be the next step. I'd love
      to just drop the coin on a jacks-r-better setup but the wife would
      freak. I've got a couple of older qualofil summer bags and some
      small bungie cord I'll try to adapt into an underquilt. If this
      works out I'll try and build/buy something better next year.

      > Thanks Greg. I'll be interested in your Peopod test. Although I
      > don't own a Speer type hammock I find all the different cold
      > weather "solutions" very interesting.
      > I have only used a normal pad (like the z-rest or blue foam) one
      time
      > in my hammock and I was really unimpressed. It was difficult to
      get
      > in the right place with the bottom entry and the one I was using
      > wasn't wide enough to accomodate my shoulders if I moved too much
      > from side to side. I think something like wider or like Ricks
      > Overlap Pad would most definitely work better. If i could get to
      28
      > F I'd be pretty satisfied. I don't do much snow hanging so mid
      30's
      > are usually the lowest I see.

    • chcoa
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 23, 2004
        Since I'm haning the a hammock above ground wouldn't cold air
        settling in the trench be a possitive though. That way it says down
        there and the warm air rises up to me.????? OR would it serve to
        keep the whole area more cold, like something sitting on top of
        ice????

        jamie in az