Re: [Hammock Camping] How tight? What Angle?

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
      ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
      quote: "Crazier than
      > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
      >
      > Happy Trails,
      >
      > J.D.

      If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>

      Youngblood
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
        Here are the methods and metrics I use for hanging my Speer-type hammock.
        This is for fair weather.

        Pick trees that are 13 to 17 feet apart. (I mean my feet, heel-to-toe.)

        Tie tree ropes at eye level. Tie a ridgeline about six inches above that.

        Tension the hammock ropes (while attaching them to the tree ropes) so that
        the top edges of the hammock come roughly midway up my thighs. When sitting
        in the hammock, with my thighs horizontal and my knees bent 90 degrees, my
        feet should be flat on the ground.

        The point here is that it's easier to get in and out of the hammock when it
        acts like a chair.

        Bear
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
          ...hehehe!

          "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
          11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in with
          the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
          directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
          Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
            I'm the same Youngblood on Whiteblaze, but I wasn't the one that had
            a runin with a bear at Springer. There was a thread where Magnet had
            a bear take his backpack out from under his HH at Springer earlier
            this year.

            Youngblood

            > ...hehehe!
            >
            > "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
            > 11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in
            with
            > the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
            > directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
            > Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
            wrote:
            > > ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
            > > quote: "Crazier than
            > > > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
            > > >
            > > > Happy Trails,
            > > >
            > > > J.D.
            > >
            > > If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>
            > >
            > > Youngblood
          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
              Bill:

              Yes. In driving rain I lower the ridgeline until
              it's even with (or below) the tree ropes.

              If it gets even worse, I can lower the sides more
              by bringing in the corner pegs. I might even
              consider switching from a diagonal pitch to an
              a-frame pitch.

              Bear