Re: [Hammock Camping] How tight? What Angle?

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
      wrote:
      > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree).
      >
      > They knew about physics when you were in school?

      ...hehehe! I don't have a hammock YET; but, probably will after the
      New Years Eve hike. But..... I just *have to* comment on this thread:

      If the tree or trees are rotten OR if the knots are not tied correctly
      OR if the rope breaks, what "angle" is now achieved?

      Is that 180 degrees - flat out...?

      Does one go thru 360 degrees to "flat out"...?

      And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am quote: "Crazier than
      the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
        <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
        > As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be
        much
        > higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly
        between
        > two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
        > horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

        Got it...duh. Should have figured that one out on my own!

        Still pretty surprised that the horizontal forces can be THAT high.
        I'd guess that after stretch, it's pretty difficult to keep the
        angle below 10*, though...no 5000 lbs loads for me!

        Jeff
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

          > And Ralph, speaking of wives, I was imagining hanging mine too
          tight,

          Hrm...
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
            ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
            quote: "Crazier than
            > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
            >
            > Happy Trails,
            >
            > J.D.

            If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>

            Youngblood
          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
              Here are the methods and metrics I use for hanging my Speer-type hammock.
              This is for fair weather.

              Pick trees that are 13 to 17 feet apart. (I mean my feet, heel-to-toe.)

              Tie tree ropes at eye level. Tie a ridgeline about six inches above that.

              Tension the hammock ropes (while attaching them to the tree ropes) so that
              the top edges of the hammock come roughly midway up my thighs. When sitting
              in the hammock, with my thighs horizontal and my knees bent 90 degrees, my
              feet should be flat on the ground.

              The point here is that it's easier to get in and out of the hammock when it
              acts like a chair.

              Bear
            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                ...hehehe!

                "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in with
                the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                  I'm the same Youngblood on Whiteblaze, but I wasn't the one that had
                  a runin with a bear at Springer. There was a thread where Magnet had
                  a bear take his backpack out from under his HH at Springer earlier
                  this year.

                  Youngblood

                  > ...hehehe!
                  >
                  > "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                  > 11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in
                  with
                  > the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                  > directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                  > Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                  wrote:
                  > > ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
                  > > quote: "Crazier than
                  > > > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
                  > > >
                  > > > Happy Trails,
                  > > >
                  > > > J.D.
                  > >
                  > > If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>
                  > >
                  > > Youngblood
                • David Chinell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                    Bill:

                    Yes. In driving rain I lower the ridgeline until
                    it's even with (or below) the tree ropes.

                    If it gets even worse, I can lower the sides more
                    by bringing in the corner pegs. I might even
                    consider switching from a diagonal pitch to an
                    a-frame pitch.

                    Bear