Re: How far are you willing to go to make the hammock work?

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 6, 2004
      Thanks Greg. I'll be interested in your Peopod test. Although I
      don't own a Speer type hammock I find all the different cold
      weather "solutions" very interesting.
      I have only used a normal pad (like the z-rest or blue foam) one time
      in my hammock and I was really unimpressed. It was difficult to get
      in the right place with the bottom entry and the one I was using
      wasn't wide enough to accomodate my shoulders if I moved too much
      from side to side. I think something like wider or like Ricks
      Overlap Pad would most definitely work better. If i could get to 28
      F I'd be pretty satisfied. I don't do much snow hanging so mid 30's
      are usually the lowest I see.

      Yeah, I'm in AZ and I agree it's a fine state. It's really great of
      outdoor enthusiast since we have just about everything but ocean and
      tundra. Unfortunately, many of our lower desert wilderness areas
      along the Mexico border have become too dangerous for backpacking due
      to our illegal alien problem. The border crossers also bring in a
      lot of trash and the deserts are getting hit pretty hard, but I
      digress. Back to hammocks.

      jamie in az

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory Doggett"
      <cqayaq@f...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > How cold have you been able to take your PeaPod set up?
      > >
      > > jamie in az
      > >

      > Jamie,
      > I haven't been able to give the PeaPod an adequate test.
      > But I've taken the Hennessey to 28 degrees comfortably with a
      > windshield reflector,Z-Rest (8 sections), 20 degree down bag used
      as
      > quilt and wearing mid-weight capilene top/bottom, expd.-weight
      > capilene top, Golite Trunk pants and one of Golites early fleece
      > caps, The Frost, and a pair of 200 wt. fleece socks. Very light
      wind.
      > I'll be trying to push my PeaPod some this winter.
      > Its a standard model. I'll probably try to duplicate somewhat the
      > set up I used with the Hennessey at 28 degrees, substituting a
      > Golite Coal Parka for the expd.-wt. capilene top and a 24"x48"x3/8"
      > for the Z-Rest....Add the PeaPod and the lowest temp I can be
      > comfortable will be my cutoff for pulling out my ground system.
      > I'll let you know how I fair.
      > BTW, I'm a warm sleeper.
      > So you live in Arizona?
      > A fine state. Got to spend some time out there while doing a couple
      > Grand Canyon/ Colorado River trips in '87 and '89.
      > I live in Virginia.
      > GND
    • chcoa
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 23, 2004
        Since I'm haning the a hammock above ground wouldn't cold air
        settling in the trench be a possitive though. That way it says down
        there and the warm air rises up to me.????? OR would it serve to
        keep the whole area more cold, like something sitting on top of
        ice????

        jamie in az