Re: [Hammock Camping] How tight? What Angle?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
      Yes and no!

      The forces (x and y) do not have to add up to the total force. Sorry
      that is just how vectors work. The vertical force on each end are
      weight/2 assuming you are right in the middle, but the total load
      (tension on the rope) can be many times higher. You are also correct
      that this is just the static load, as Dave and others point out
      dynamic load while getting in and out may be much higher.

      As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be much
      higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly between
      two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
      horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

      Ralph

      On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:52:00 -0000, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
      > <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
      > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree) . So when I first
      > got
      > > on the group I made a spreadsheet (under files) so you can
      > calculate
      > > the forces.
      >
      > I'm having a hard time understanding this. The force exerted on a
      > hammock line is broken into X and Y components. In a 2D view, the
      > sum of X and Y must equal the total force. The vertical forces
      > equal weight/2, which makes sense, but in your spreadsheet the total
      > forces do not equal X+Y. Why not? Why does that formula apply to
      > the horizontal forces?
      >
      > It's also important to note that those are static calculations. The
      > weight of you plopping down into the hammock can result in a dynamic
      > force much greater than your weight when lying still.
      >
      > Jeff
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
        wrote:
        > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree).
        >
        > They knew about physics when you were in school?

        ...hehehe! I don't have a hammock YET; but, probably will after the
        New Years Eve hike. But..... I just *have to* comment on this thread:

        If the tree or trees are rotten OR if the knots are not tied correctly
        OR if the rope breaks, what "angle" is now achieved?

        Is that 180 degrees - flat out...?

        Does one go thru 360 degrees to "flat out"...?

        And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am quote: "Crazier than
        the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
          <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
          > As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be
          much
          > higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly
          between
          > two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
          > horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

          Got it...duh. Should have figured that one out on my own!

          Still pretty surprised that the horizontal forces can be THAT high.
          I'd guess that after stretch, it's pretty difficult to keep the
          angle below 10*, though...no 5000 lbs loads for me!

          Jeff
        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
            <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

            > And Ralph, speaking of wives, I was imagining hanging mine too
            tight,

            Hrm...
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
              ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
              quote: "Crazier than
              > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
              >
              > Happy Trails,
              >
              > J.D.

              If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>

              Youngblood
            • David Chinell
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                Here are the methods and metrics I use for hanging my Speer-type hammock.
                This is for fair weather.

                Pick trees that are 13 to 17 feet apart. (I mean my feet, heel-to-toe.)

                Tie tree ropes at eye level. Tie a ridgeline about six inches above that.

                Tension the hammock ropes (while attaching them to the tree ropes) so that
                the top edges of the hammock come roughly midway up my thighs. When sitting
                in the hammock, with my thighs horizontal and my knees bent 90 degrees, my
                feet should be flat on the ground.

                The point here is that it's easier to get in and out of the hammock when it
                acts like a chair.

                Bear
              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                  ...hehehe!

                  "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                  11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in with
                  the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                  directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                  Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                    I'm the same Youngblood on Whiteblaze, but I wasn't the one that had
                    a runin with a bear at Springer. There was a thread where Magnet had
                    a bear take his backpack out from under his HH at Springer earlier
                    this year.

                    Youngblood

                    > ...hehehe!
                    >
                    > "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                    > 11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in
                    with
                    > the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                    > directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                    > Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                    wrote:
                    > > ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
                    > > quote: "Crazier than
                    > > > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
                    > > >
                    > > > Happy Trails,
                    > > >
                    > > > J.D.
                    > >
                    > > If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>
                    > >
                    > > Youngblood
                  • David Chinell
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                      Bill:

                      Yes. In driving rain I lower the ridgeline until
                      it's even with (or below) the tree ropes.

                      If it gets even worse, I can lower the sides more
                      by bringing in the corner pegs. I might even
                      consider switching from a diagonal pitch to an
                      a-frame pitch.

                      Bear