Re: [Hammock Camping] How tight? What Angle?

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
      I opened the file and will have a look. Thanks.

      It is a Speer type, double layer, 1.1 oz ripstop. It is gray. (That
      was a joke). The rope is some cheesy fat rope we had lying around.
      I doubt it stretches much under my 165 lbs. But it is not as easy to
      tie tight as thinner rope would be, so I need to make allowances for
      that.

      Does 8.0 refer to the total length of your hammock body after it is
      finished?

      I know that I need to try it myself, and that there are lots of
      variables. I am just looking for a starting point.

      And Ralph, speaking of wives, I was imagining hanging mine too tight,
      having it rip in half, and my wife laughing her head off.

      Thanks again, everyone. If it ever quits raining I will actually use
      this thing...

      Bill in Houston

      > Bill,
      >
      > I have some info in my folder (Youngblood) in the files section.
      The

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004

        > Does 8.0 refer to the total length of your hammock body after it is
        > finished?

        Yes, that is the way Ed Speer defines his hammock. It is the
        distance between the hammock knots, measured along the sides.

        You are right about static load versus dynamic load. Most of these
        light weight backpacking hammocks are not designed to handle heavy
        dynamic loading. Be careful how you use them and what you use them
        for.

        Youngblood
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
          Yes and no!

          The forces (x and y) do not have to add up to the total force. Sorry
          that is just how vectors work. The vertical force on each end are
          weight/2 assuming you are right in the middle, but the total load
          (tension on the rope) can be many times higher. You are also correct
          that this is just the static load, as Dave and others point out
          dynamic load while getting in and out may be much higher.

          As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be much
          higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly between
          two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
          horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

          Ralph

          On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:52:00 -0000, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
          > <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
          > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree) . So when I first
          > got
          > > on the group I made a spreadsheet (under files) so you can
          > calculate
          > > the forces.
          >
          > I'm having a hard time understanding this. The force exerted on a
          > hammock line is broken into X and Y components. In a 2D view, the
          > sum of X and Y must equal the total force. The vertical forces
          > equal weight/2, which makes sense, but in your spreadsheet the total
          > forces do not equal X+Y. Why not? Why does that formula apply to
          > the horizontal forces?
          >
          > It's also important to note that those are static calculations. The
          > weight of you plopping down into the hammock can result in a dynamic
          > force much greater than your weight when lying still.
          >
          > Jeff
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • J.D. Hoessle
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
            wrote:
            > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree).
            >
            > They knew about physics when you were in school?

            ...hehehe! I don't have a hammock YET; but, probably will after the
            New Years Eve hike. But..... I just *have to* comment on this thread:

            If the tree or trees are rotten OR if the knots are not tied correctly
            OR if the rope breaks, what "angle" is now achieved?

            Is that 180 degrees - flat out...?

            Does one go thru 360 degrees to "flat out"...?

            And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am quote: "Crazier than
            the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.

            Happy Trails,

            J.D.
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
              <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
              > As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be
              much
              > higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly
              between
              > two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
              > horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

              Got it...duh. Should have figured that one out on my own!

              Still pretty surprised that the horizontal forces can be THAT high.
              I'd guess that after stretch, it's pretty difficult to keep the
              angle below 10*, though...no 5000 lbs loads for me!

              Jeff
            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
                <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                > And Ralph, speaking of wives, I was imagining hanging mine too
                tight,

                Hrm...
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                  ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
                  quote: "Crazier than
                  > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
                  >
                  > Happy Trails,
                  >
                  > J.D.

                  If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>

                  Youngblood
                • David Chinell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                    Here are the methods and metrics I use for hanging my Speer-type hammock.
                    This is for fair weather.

                    Pick trees that are 13 to 17 feet apart. (I mean my feet, heel-to-toe.)

                    Tie tree ropes at eye level. Tie a ridgeline about six inches above that.

                    Tension the hammock ropes (while attaching them to the tree ropes) so that
                    the top edges of the hammock come roughly midway up my thighs. When sitting
                    in the hammock, with my thighs horizontal and my knees bent 90 degrees, my
                    feet should be flat on the ground.

                    The point here is that it's easier to get in and out of the hammock when it
                    acts like a chair.

                    Bear
                  • J.D. Hoessle
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                      ...hehehe!

                      "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                      11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in with
                      the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                      directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                      Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                        I'm the same Youngblood on Whiteblaze, but I wasn't the one that had
                        a runin with a bear at Springer. There was a thread where Magnet had
                        a bear take his backpack out from under his HH at Springer earlier
                        this year.

                        Youngblood

                        > ...hehehe!
                        >
                        > "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                        > 11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in
                        with
                        > the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                        > directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                        > Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@y...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                        wrote:
                        > > ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
                        > > quote: "Crazier than
                        > > > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
                        > > >
                        > > > Happy Trails,
                        > > >
                        > > > J.D.
                        > >
                        > > If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>
                        > >
                        > > Youngblood
                      • David Chinell
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                          Bill:

                          Yes. In driving rain I lower the ridgeline until
                          it's even with (or below) the tree ropes.

                          If it gets even worse, I can lower the sides more
                          by bringing in the corner pegs. I might even
                          consider switching from a diagonal pitch to an
                          a-frame pitch.

                          Bear