Reflectix - Colonelcorn letter to Nancy

  • Marge Prothman
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2003
      Just wanted all you hammock people to know my experience in Home Depot
      today.

      I took a day off from skiing, drove the 60 miles to Twin Falls, Idaho, and
      the Home
      Depot Store. Had in my hand a copy of colonelcorn email to Nancy with all
      the directions
      on how to find the Reflectix.

      Finally found a orange vested man to help me, I had looked and could not see
      it. I even
      gave him the email to read. Then he called over another orange vest and then
      another came,
      all to help this 'Old gal'. Well first they tried to sell me insulation
      (having a builder for
      a husband, I knew what insulation was and I did not want that).

      Then with 5 orange vests around me, they asked the question "what do you
      want to use it for?"
      Well I gulped at that one, so I told them, to make a pad for my hammock to
      sleep in the mountains. You know, our mountains are fairly big and covered
      with snow. They thought I had lost my marbles, they giggled and tittered. So
      I had to take control of this situation and said 'come on you guys, do you
      or do you not carry the Reflectix'.

      Well here is what I got for an answer: Just find out the store number the
      person in the email bought his from and then we will investigate and find
      some for me. (if in fact I am not in the looney bin by then).

      So, Colonelcorn could you please tell me the store number you bought yours
      from. I bet a telephone call to your store would do it. Then I can go back
      and give those guys a what too....

      Gosh I may be old, but I don't look that bad.

      Cheers,
      Marge [The Old Gal]
      http://www.prothman.org/marge
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2003
        Message
        Marge, that sounds like me in the grocery store!  What a story.  If you continue to have problems finding Reflectix, checkout my web site--I sell cut lengths of Reflectix for use in hammocks
        Hope for the best....Ed

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2003
          LOL

          I love it

          I get some awsome stare and looks when I tell people what some of the things
          that I need are for. I USED to get less crazy looks joking and saying
          explosives, but I can't do that any more.

        • djdurham1 <djdurham@netzero.net>
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>
            wrote:
            > Just wanted all you hammock people to know my experience in Home
            Depot
            > today.
            >

            > Well here is what I got for an answer: Just find out the store
            number the
            > person in the email bought his from and then we will investigate
            and find
            > some for me. (if in fact I am not in the looney bin by then).
            >

            > Cheers,
            > Marge [The Old Gal]
            > http://www.prothman.org/marge

            Home Depot MA4621 in Leesburg VA 703-737-7664 carries Reflectix. They
            have it in the Millwork section.

            Douglas
          • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2003

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 27, 2003
                wrote:
                > Then with 5 orange vests around me, they asked the question "what
                do you
                > want to use it for?"

                LOL! I always tell them that I'm getting it for my kid's science
                project & I have no idea why he wants it but it's got to be exactly
                whatever I'm asking for at the time that way they're sympathetic
                with this poor old father who's clueless and they avoid making lots
                of useless suggestions. Unless of course I'm looking for ideas and
                then I'll discuss what I'm trying to do because sometimes the guy
                actually came out of the building trades or whatever and can suggest
                an alternative for me.

                > Well here is what I got for an answer: Just find out the store
                number the
                > person in the email bought his from and then we will investigate
                and find
                > some for me. (if in fact I am not in the looney bin by then).

                The store number is 6208 (Southington, CT) and their phone number is
                860-621-6770. They knew what I was looking for and I can get the SKU
                or whatever other numbers your guys want.
              • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 27, 2003
                  Marge,

                  I was following the thread as well.

                  Went to the Home Depot near Dayton OH... No luck. Not stocked by
                  the store.

                  Went across the highway to Lowe's. They had lots of rolls... 1' 2'
                  and 4' wide.

                  I bought a roll of the wide stuff and brought it home. Cut off a
                  piece 6 feet long and then cut 1 foot off the width. It works
                  great. I spent a couple hours in it at 12-15 degrees a few nights
                  ago. (I was also using the taco wind shell) It was pretty warm...
                  maybe not quite as warm as the blue Target pad, but pretty close, and
                  it is wider. Less discomfort from the wrinkles at the edges. About
                  the same cost if one figures you can get 4 pads out of one $40
                  roll... (Anyone want one or two 4'x6' pads?? or 3x6 or 4 2x4 pads...
                  you get the idea - I got too much of the stuff!)

                  To put it in the pack, I folded it over along the long length and
                  then loosely rolled it as a 18" high tube inside the pack.

                  Rick
                • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 27, 2003
                    wrote:
                    > Well here is what I got for an answer: Just find out the store
                    number the
                    > person in the email bought his from and then we will investigate
                    and find
                    > some for me. (if in fact I am not in the looney bin by then).
                    >
                    > So, Colonelcorn could you please tell me the store number you
                    bought yours
                    > from. I bet a telephone call to your store would do it. Then I
                    can go back
                    > and give those guys a what too....

                    OK. I went to HD on the way home and have the following details for
                    you to give your HD friends:

                    The labels have the following info,
                    Size
                    Bold Number
                    'Nother bold number above the UPC
                    Std number below the UPC

                    Here's the info for the 3 sizes they carry...

                    16" x 25'
                    ST16025
                    C884-250
                    716511 516014

                    4' x 25'
                    BP48025
                    C884-247
                    716511 340015

                    24" x 25'
                    ST24025
                    B884-412
                    716511 520011

                    If your Home Depot folks still can't find it, the UPC code should be
                    enough for the folks at Lowe's or possibly your local hardware store
                    to find it.

                    Since some of you are having problems finding it, I'll be glad to
                    pick some up for any member of this list and ship it to them for
                    $1/foot (24" size) or $1.75/foot (4' size) + $4.50 for USPS Priority
                    Mail which should cover costs. I'm at HD enough that it's not an
                    extra trip and I can have my admin do the mailing <grin>. You're
                    better off if you can find it locally but if you really want some &
                    can't find it I'll get into the Reflectix shipping business.

                    Jim
                  • Marge Prothman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 27, 2003
                      Thank You Jim,

                      I hope to make the trip again next week, so will have all my documentation
                      in hand. We do not have a Lowe's or any other big store near us Home Depot
                      is it
                      unless I go to Boise, Idaho, but that is a three hour drive.
                      Thanks again,

                      Marge

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 28, 2003
                        wrote:
                        > Thank You Jim,
                        >
                        > I hope to make the trip again next week, so will have all my
                        documentation
                        > in hand. We do not have a Lowe's or any other big store near us
                        Home Depot
                        > is it
                        > unless I go to Boise, Idaho, but that is a three hour drive.
                        > Thanks again,
                        >
                        > Marge

                        No problem. I love the stuff. It's almost as good as the Z-Fold pad
                        I use for temp control (it's good alone down into the mid-high 30s)
                        and in combination with the Z-Fold gets me another 10 degrees (I put
                        the Reflectix on the bottom and the pad on top of that - I read
                        somewhere and it seems to be true that the radiant effect is best if
                        there's a little space between it & the source of the heat). I just
                        wish they made it in longer rolls. My scouts who hammock use it too.