Re: [Hammock Camping] How tight? What Angle?

    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
      Bill,

      I have some info in my folder (Youngblood) in the files section. The
      dimensions I give are after stretch, so like was previous posted it
      does change a tad depending on the amount of stretch you get. With
      my Speer class hammocks, with my weight and using 1/4" hollow braid
      polypro rope, I would guess that I am getting about 10% stretch and I
      allow for that when I hang my hammock by shortening the support
      ropes. I can usually pace off the distance between supports and get
      it hung pretty close on the first try. What kind of hammock are you
      using?

      Youngblood
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
        > I took the physics too (actually got the degree).

        They knew about physics when you were in school? Probably taught you the
        particle theory of heat...

        > So when I first got on the group I made a spreadsheet (under
        > files) so you can calculate the forces.

        Which reminds me to post that on my website...

        > But then I found out it isn't as important (especially in
        > a HH). The hardest part is measuring the angles while in the
        > hammock,

        Not even that is so important, IMO. If you set up with trees that are
        different distances apart, the 'hang' is going to be different every time.

        > and my wife won't stop laughing long enough to help.

        I'd say threaten to replace her, but I tried that with mine and she didn't
        cook for three days...

        Shane
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
          <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
          > I took the physics too (actually got the degree) . So when I first
          got
          > on the group I made a spreadsheet (under files) so you can
          calculate
          > the forces.

          I'm having a hard time understanding this. The force exerted on a
          hammock line is broken into X and Y components. In a 2D view, the
          sum of X and Y must equal the total force. The vertical forces
          equal weight/2, which makes sense, but in your spreadsheet the total
          forces do not equal X+Y. Why not? Why does that formula apply to
          the horizontal forces?

          It's also important to note that those are static calculations. The
          weight of you plopping down into the hammock can result in a dynamic
          force much greater than your weight when lying still.

          Jeff
        • zippydooda
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
            I opened the file and will have a look. Thanks.

            It is a Speer type, double layer, 1.1 oz ripstop. It is gray. (That
            was a joke). The rope is some cheesy fat rope we had lying around.
            I doubt it stretches much under my 165 lbs. But it is not as easy to
            tie tight as thinner rope would be, so I need to make allowances for
            that.

            Does 8.0 refer to the total length of your hammock body after it is
            finished?

            I know that I need to try it myself, and that there are lots of
            variables. I am just looking for a starting point.

            And Ralph, speaking of wives, I was imagining hanging mine too tight,
            having it rip in half, and my wife laughing her head off.

            Thanks again, everyone. If it ever quits raining I will actually use
            this thing...

            Bill in Houston

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004

              > Does 8.0 refer to the total length of your hammock body after it is
              > finished?

              Yes, that is the way Ed Speer defines his hammock. It is the
              distance between the hammock knots, measured along the sides.

              You are right about static load versus dynamic load. Most of these
              light weight backpacking hammocks are not designed to handle heavy
              dynamic loading. Be careful how you use them and what you use them
              for.

              Youngblood
            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
                Yes and no!

                The forces (x and y) do not have to add up to the total force. Sorry
                that is just how vectors work. The vertical force on each end are
                weight/2 assuming you are right in the middle, but the total load
                (tension on the rope) can be many times higher. You are also correct
                that this is just the static load, as Dave and others point out
                dynamic load while getting in and out may be much higher.

                As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be much
                higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly between
                two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
                horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

                Ralph

                On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:52:00 -0000, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                > <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree) . So when I first
                > got
                > > on the group I made a spreadsheet (under files) so you can
                > calculate
                > > the forces.
                >
                > I'm having a hard time understanding this. The force exerted on a
                > hammock line is broken into X and Y components. In a 2D view, the
                > sum of X and Y must equal the total force. The vertical forces
                > equal weight/2, which makes sense, but in your spreadsheet the total
                > forces do not equal X+Y. Why not? Why does that formula apply to
                > the horizontal forces?
                >
                > It's also important to note that those are static calculations. The
                > weight of you plopping down into the hammock can result in a dynamic
                > force much greater than your weight when lying still.
                >
                > Jeff
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                  wrote:
                  > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree).
                  >
                  > They knew about physics when you were in school?

                  ...hehehe! I don't have a hammock YET; but, probably will after the
                  New Years Eve hike. But..... I just *have to* comment on this thread:

                  If the tree or trees are rotten OR if the knots are not tied correctly
                  OR if the rope breaks, what "angle" is now achieved?

                  Is that 180 degrees - flat out...?

                  Does one go thru 360 degrees to "flat out"...?

                  And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am quote: "Crazier than
                  the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.

                  Happy Trails,

                  J.D.
                • jwj32542
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                    <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                    > As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be
                    much
                    > higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly
                    between
                    > two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
                    > horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

                    Got it...duh. Should have figured that one out on my own!

                    Still pretty surprised that the horizontal forces can be THAT high.
                    I'd guess that after stretch, it's pretty difficult to keep the
                    angle below 10*, though...no 5000 lbs loads for me!

                    Jeff
                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                      > And Ralph, speaking of wives, I was imagining hanging mine too
                      tight,

                      Hrm...
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                        ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
                        quote: "Crazier than
                        > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
                        >
                        > Happy Trails,
                        >
                        > J.D.

                        If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>

                        Youngblood
                      • David Chinell
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                          Here are the methods and metrics I use for hanging my Speer-type hammock.
                          This is for fair weather.

                          Pick trees that are 13 to 17 feet apart. (I mean my feet, heel-to-toe.)

                          Tie tree ropes at eye level. Tie a ridgeline about six inches above that.

                          Tension the hammock ropes (while attaching them to the tree ropes) so that
                          the top edges of the hammock come roughly midway up my thighs. When sitting
                          in the hammock, with my thighs horizontal and my knees bent 90 degrees, my
                          feet should be flat on the ground.

                          The point here is that it's easier to get in and out of the hammock when it
                          acts like a chair.

                          Bear
                        • J.D. Hoessle
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                            ...hehehe!

                            "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                            11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in with
                            the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                            directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                            Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                              I'm the same Youngblood on Whiteblaze, but I wasn't the one that had
                              a runin with a bear at Springer. There was a thread where Magnet had
                              a bear take his backpack out from under his HH at Springer earlier
                              this year.

                              Youngblood

                              > ...hehehe!
                              >
                              > "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                              > 11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in
                              with
                              > the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                              > directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                              > Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!
                              >
                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@y...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                              wrote:
                              > > ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
                              > > quote: "Crazier than
                              > > > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
                              > > >
                              > > > Happy Trails,
                              > > >
                              > > > J.D.
                              > >
                              > > If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>
                              > >
                              > > Youngblood
                            • David Chinell
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                                Bill:

                                Yes. In driving rain I lower the ridgeline until
                                it's even with (or below) the tree ropes.

                                If it gets even worse, I can lower the sides more
                                by bringing in the corner pegs. I might even
                                consider switching from a diagonal pitch to an
                                a-frame pitch.

                                Bear