How tight? What Angle?

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
      About how tight do you hang your hammock? I guess maybe I'm asking
      the wrong way, since there's not actually tension when you first tie
      hang it. But over the span from tree to tree, how much droop is
      there? Or once you are in it, at what angle does the support rope
      meet the tree?

      Rick's website makes it look like not a lot of droop, which sounds
      good as far as having a level spot to lie. But, I took Physics I and
      Statics, so I know that if you don't put enough droop in, you're
      going to snap something and end up on the ground.

      I tried to look in the archives but this is probably something so
      elementary that it doesn't get discussed much, especially outside of
      HH's, where you really have to watch out for the ridgeline. Thanks
      very much for your help.

      Bill in Houston
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
        I took the physics too (actually got the degree) . So when I first got
        on the group I made a spreadsheet (under files) so you can calculate
        the forces. But then I found out it isn't as important (especially in
        a HH). The hardest part is measuring the angles while in the hammock,
        and my wife won't stop laughing long enough to help.

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
          Bill,

          I have some info in my folder (Youngblood) in the files section. The
          dimensions I give are after stretch, so like was previous posted it
          does change a tad depending on the amount of stretch you get. With
          my Speer class hammocks, with my weight and using 1/4" hollow braid
          polypro rope, I would guess that I am getting about 10% stretch and I
          allow for that when I hang my hammock by shortening the support
          ropes. I can usually pace off the distance between supports and get
          it hung pretty close on the first try. What kind of hammock are you
          using?

          Youngblood
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
            > I took the physics too (actually got the degree).

            They knew about physics when you were in school? Probably taught you the
            particle theory of heat...

            > So when I first got on the group I made a spreadsheet (under
            > files) so you can calculate the forces.

            Which reminds me to post that on my website...

            > But then I found out it isn't as important (especially in
            > a HH). The hardest part is measuring the angles while in the
            > hammock,

            Not even that is so important, IMO. If you set up with trees that are
            different distances apart, the 'hang' is going to be different every time.

            > and my wife won't stop laughing long enough to help.

            I'd say threaten to replace her, but I tried that with mine and she didn't
            cook for three days...

            Shane
          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
              <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
              > I took the physics too (actually got the degree) . So when I first
              got
              > on the group I made a spreadsheet (under files) so you can
              calculate
              > the forces.

              I'm having a hard time understanding this. The force exerted on a
              hammock line is broken into X and Y components. In a 2D view, the
              sum of X and Y must equal the total force. The vertical forces
              equal weight/2, which makes sense, but in your spreadsheet the total
              forces do not equal X+Y. Why not? Why does that formula apply to
              the horizontal forces?

              It's also important to note that those are static calculations. The
              weight of you plopping down into the hammock can result in a dynamic
              force much greater than your weight when lying still.

              Jeff
            • zippydooda
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
                I opened the file and will have a look. Thanks.

                It is a Speer type, double layer, 1.1 oz ripstop. It is gray. (That
                was a joke). The rope is some cheesy fat rope we had lying around.
                I doubt it stretches much under my 165 lbs. But it is not as easy to
                tie tight as thinner rope would be, so I need to make allowances for
                that.

                Does 8.0 refer to the total length of your hammock body after it is
                finished?

                I know that I need to try it myself, and that there are lots of
                variables. I am just looking for a starting point.

                And Ralph, speaking of wives, I was imagining hanging mine too tight,
                having it rip in half, and my wife laughing her head off.

                Thanks again, everyone. If it ever quits raining I will actually use
                this thing...

                Bill in Houston

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004

                  > Does 8.0 refer to the total length of your hammock body after it is
                  > finished?

                  Yes, that is the way Ed Speer defines his hammock. It is the
                  distance between the hammock knots, measured along the sides.

                  You are right about static load versus dynamic load. Most of these
                  light weight backpacking hammocks are not designed to handle heavy
                  dynamic loading. Be careful how you use them and what you use them
                  for.

                  Youngblood
                • Ralph Oborn
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 6, 2004
                    Yes and no!

                    The forces (x and y) do not have to add up to the total force. Sorry
                    that is just how vectors work. The vertical force on each end are
                    weight/2 assuming you are right in the middle, but the total load
                    (tension on the rope) can be many times higher. You are also correct
                    that this is just the static load, as Dave and others point out
                    dynamic load while getting in and out may be much higher.

                    As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be much
                    higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly between
                    two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
                    horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

                    Ralph

                    On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:52:00 -0000, jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn
                    > <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                    > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree) . So when I first
                    > got
                    > > on the group I made a spreadsheet (under files) so you can
                    > calculate
                    > > the forces.
                    >
                    > I'm having a hard time understanding this. The force exerted on a
                    > hammock line is broken into X and Y components. In a 2D view, the
                    > sum of X and Y must equal the total force. The vertical forces
                    > equal weight/2, which makes sense, but in your spreadsheet the total
                    > forces do not equal X+Y. Why not? Why does that formula apply to
                    > the horizontal forces?
                    >
                    > It's also important to note that those are static calculations. The
                    > weight of you plopping down into the hammock can result in a dynamic
                    > force much greater than your weight when lying still.
                    >
                    > Jeff
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • J.D. Hoessle
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                      wrote:
                      > > I took the physics too (actually got the degree).
                      >
                      > They knew about physics when you were in school?

                      ...hehehe! I don't have a hammock YET; but, probably will after the
                      New Years Eve hike. But..... I just *have to* comment on this thread:

                      If the tree or trees are rotten OR if the knots are not tied correctly
                      OR if the rope breaks, what "angle" is now achieved?

                      Is that 180 degrees - flat out...?

                      Does one go thru 360 degrees to "flat out"...?

                      And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am quote: "Crazier than
                      the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.

                      Happy Trails,

                      J.D.
                    • jwj32542
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                        <Ralph.oborn@g...> wrote:
                        > As a thought experiment to understand how the rope tension may be
                        much
                        > higher than the load imaging the empty hammock strung tightly
                        between
                        > two sturdy trees. The vertical load is almost zero, but the almost
                        > horizontal tension may be hundreds of pounds.

                        Got it...duh. Should have figured that one out on my own!

                        Still pretty surprised that the horizontal forces can be THAT high.
                        I'd guess that after stretch, it's pretty difficult to keep the
                        angle below 10*, though...no 5000 lbs loads for me!

                        Jeff
                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "zippydooda"
                          <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                          > And Ralph, speaking of wives, I was imagining hanging mine too
                          tight,

                          Hrm...
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                            ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
                            quote: "Crazier than
                            > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
                            >
                            > Happy Trails,
                            >
                            > J.D.

                            If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>

                            Youngblood
                          • David Chinell
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                              Here are the methods and metrics I use for hanging my Speer-type hammock.
                              This is for fair weather.

                              Pick trees that are 13 to 17 feet apart. (I mean my feet, heel-to-toe.)

                              Tie tree ropes at eye level. Tie a ridgeline about six inches above that.

                              Tension the hammock ropes (while attaching them to the tree ropes) so that
                              the top edges of the hammock come roughly midway up my thighs. When sitting
                              in the hammock, with my thighs horizontal and my knees bent 90 degrees, my
                              feet should be flat on the ground.

                              The point here is that it's easier to get in and out of the hammock when it
                              acts like a chair.

                              Bear
                            • J.D. Hoessle
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                                ...hehehe!

                                "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                                11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in with
                                the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                                directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                                Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                                  I'm the same Youngblood on Whiteblaze, but I wasn't the one that had
                                  a runin with a bear at Springer. There was a thread where Magnet had
                                  a bear take his backpack out from under his HH at Springer earlier
                                  this year.

                                  Youngblood

                                  > ...hehehe!
                                  >
                                  > "Youngblood"... Are you the same person who was up there 11/28 &
                                  > 11/29 of this year (JUST A FEW DAYS AGO...!!!) and had the run in
                                  with
                                  > the bear...? Saw some postings on WhiteBlaze while looking for
                                  > directions from a "Youngblood" and "Glee" and "Magnet" a/k/a "Bear
                                  > Pinata". Bears should be hibernating now....<g>...!
                                  >
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@y...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@H...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > > ...snip..> And, on the subject of wives, mine thinks I am
                                  > > quote: "Crazier than
                                  > > > the outhouse rat" to be going up Springer at this time of year.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Happy Trails,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > J.D.
                                  > >
                                  > > If the weather gets bad enough, you may feel the same way. <grin>
                                  > >
                                  > > Youngblood
                                • David Chinell
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 7, 2004
                                    Bill:

                                    Yes. In driving rain I lower the ridgeline until
                                    it's even with (or below) the tree ropes.

                                    If it gets even worse, I can lower the sides more
                                    by bringing in the corner pegs. I might even
                                    consider switching from a diagonal pitch to an
                                    a-frame pitch.

                                    Bear