Re: [Hammock Camping] How far are you willing to go to make the hammock work?

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 5, 2004
      > chcoa wrote:

      Okay Rick, now you just need to start marketing your set up for those
      of us who are unable to sew. :)

      jamie in AZ

      > Hi Jamie,
      >
      > I'm not sure I understand your question. I routinely carry a
      hammock
      > set-up that will keep me comfortable into the mid teens. It is
      light
      > and practical for ultralight packing.
      >
      > Insulation includes: down quilt and closed cell foam pad. It is
      > surrounded by a single layer TravelPod. For really cold
      temperatures, I
      > sometimes use my tarp or other pack contents as insulation between
      the
      > TravelPod and my hammock. To go below that, I need to carry about
      an
      > extra 10 ounces of insulation in the form of my WarmHammock. That
      > set-up has gotten me considerably below zero. (And I sleep pretty
      cold.)

      > Looking at your question again, I guess the answer to how far I a
      > willing to go is: I am willing to sew my own hammock and to
      practice in
      > the cold to get it right.
      >
      > Rick
    • chcoa
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 23, 2004
        Since I'm haning the a hammock above ground wouldn't cold air
        settling in the trench be a possitive though. That way it says down
        there and the warm air rises up to me.????? OR would it serve to
        keep the whole area more cold, like something sitting on top of
        ice????

        jamie in az