Re: How far are you willing to go to make the hammock work?

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 5, 2004

      Hi Jeff,

      I agree about the bulk thing. That's where I'm struggling with the
      Supershelter.

      Jamie in AZ

      > I'm willing to go as far as it's still safe and it doesn't weigh
      too
      > much more than a tent for the same warmth. I'd carry a little
      extra
      > weight over the normal tent/pad setup just for the convenience of
      > easier site selection and the comfort of not sleeping on roots and
      > rocks. About a 3 lbs increase is tolerable, I guess. Bulk would
      be
      > the other major factor. I guess cost is in there, too, since I
      > struggled with the decision to get the underquilt, but in the end I
      > decided it was worth it.
      >
      > The Supershelter just didn't seem versatile enough since you can
      > really only use it on the HH. The underquilt can be used by itself
      > as garment of sleeping quilt, and it gets you to colder temps
      > without additional insulation or bulk. Either way, in colder
      > weather I'd carry my 20x40 closed-cell pad for additional
      insulation
      > in the underquilt or to escape to ground.
      >
      > I'm thinking about adding a wind-break like Risk's TravelPod, and
      > that's about as far as I think I'd go. Underquilt with closed-cell
      > pad in between, top quilt, windbreak. Beyond that, I think I might
      > just take a tent.
      >
      > Jeff
    • chcoa
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 23, 2004
        Since I'm haning the a hammock above ground wouldn't cold air
        settling in the trench be a possitive though. That way it says down
        there and the warm air rises up to me.????? OR would it serve to
        keep the whole area more cold, like something sitting on top of
        ice????

        jamie in az