Re: [Hammock Camping] How far are you willing to go to make the hammock work?

    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 4, 2004
      chcoa wrote:

      >I'm curious how far everyone is willing to go to make their hammock
      >work in cold temps? I think the idea of the HH supershelter is a
      >good one but its practicality in cold weather is still to be
      >determined.

      Hi Jamie,

      I'm not sure I understand your question. I routinely carry a hammock
      set-up that will keep me comfortable into the mid teens. It is light
      and practical for ultralight packing.

      Insulation includes: down quilt and closed cell foam pad. It is
      surrounded by a single layer TravelPod. For really cold temperatures, I
      sometimes use my tarp or other pack contents as insulation between the
      TravelPod and my hammock. To go below that, I need to carry about an
      extra 10 ounces of insulation in the form of my WarmHammock. That
      set-up has gotten me considerably below zero. (And I sleep pretty cold.)

      Looking at your question again, I guess the answer to how far I a
      willing to go is: I am willing to sew my own hammock and to practice in
      the cold to get it right.

      Rick
    • chcoa
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 23, 2004
        Since I'm haning the a hammock above ground wouldn't cold air
        settling in the trench be a possitive though. That way it says down
        there and the warm air rises up to me.????? OR would it serve to
        keep the whole area more cold, like something sitting on top of
        ice????

        jamie in az