Re: How far are you willing to go to make the hammock work?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 4, 2004
      > I'm curious how far everyone is willing to go to make their
      hammock
      > work in cold temps? I think the idea of the HH supershelter is a
      > good one but its practicality in cold weather is still to be
      > determined.

      I'm willing to go as far as it's still safe and it doesn't weigh too
      much more than a tent for the same warmth. I'd carry a little extra
      weight over the normal tent/pad setup just for the convenience of
      easier site selection and the comfort of not sleeping on roots and
      rocks. About a 3 lbs increase is tolerable, I guess. Bulk would be
      the other major factor. I guess cost is in there, too, since I
      struggled with the decision to get the underquilt, but in the end I
      decided it was worth it.

      The Supershelter just didn't seem versatile enough since you can
      really only use it on the HH. The underquilt can be used by itself
      as garment of sleeping quilt, and it gets you to colder temps
      without additional insulation or bulk. Either way, in colder
      weather I'd carry my 20x40 closed-cell pad for additional insulation
      in the underquilt or to escape to ground.

      I'm thinking about adding a wind-break like Risk's TravelPod, and
      that's about as far as I think I'd go. Underquilt with closed-cell
      pad in between, top quilt, windbreak. Beyond that, I think I might
      just take a tent.

      Jeff
    • chcoa
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 23, 2004
        Since I'm haning the a hammock above ground wouldn't cold air
        settling in the trench be a possitive though. That way it says down
        there and the warm air rises up to me.????? OR would it serve to
        keep the whole area more cold, like something sitting on top of
        ice????

        jamie in az