How far are you willing to go to make the hammock work?

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 3, 2004
      A HH Supershelter update...

      I recently used the HH Supershelter along with my space blanket(the
      Adventure Medical Emergency Bivy) down to 40 F. This is the lowest
      temp I've been able to sleep in with the Supershelter so far.
      However, I'm doing an over night kayak paddle at the lake this
      weekend and figure with shoreline sleeping the temps are likely to
      get down to 30 F or lower. To add warmth I've included a double
      layer fleece blanket to my set up in the undercover. This is my
      limit for extra insulation though. If I were hiking instead of
      paddling this extra blanket would be a bit much to lug as far as I'm
      concerned. I think at this point an underquilt would start to make
      more sense than having the open cell pad, (which is basically
      worthless as anything other than hammock insulation. At least the
      quilt could double as a camp coat.

      I'm curious how far everyone is willing to go to make their hammock
      work in cold temps? I think the idea of the HH supershelter is a
      good one but its practicality in cold weather is still to be
      determined.
    • chcoa
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 23, 2004
        Since I'm haning the a hammock above ground wouldn't cold air
        settling in the trench be a possitive though. That way it says down
        there and the warm air rises up to me.????? OR would it serve to
        keep the whole area more cold, like something sitting on top of
        ice????

        jamie in az