RE: [Hammock Camping] Ground Dweller

  • Dave Bellinski
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004

      JD,

      I've never attended the New Years celebration, but I'll pass on what I know.

      Water should be no problem on the approach trail, as several water locations are noted in the AT Data book. Alcohol though, is another issue. You'll have to pack your own, as I understand that area is "Dry", buy your refreshments early, in a wet county.

      Last New Years Eve was celebrated in short sleeves; previous years have seen single digit temps, so be prepared.

      I believe the celebration took place in the parking area where USFS42 intersects the trail (the North side of Springer at the base).  Don't know the time it begins.

      The Visitors center is at 1700', peak of Springer is 3782'.

      Someone else will have to fill you in on details of the approach trail. If your schedule is real tight, you could drive in.

      Enjoy yourself!

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
        A few notes. I was there last year.

        Dave Bellinski wrote:

        > JD,
        >

        > I've never attended the New Years celebration, but I'll pass on what I
        > know.
        >

        > Water should be no problem on the approach trail, as several water
        > locations are noted in the AT Data book.

        There is water 30 yards from the shelter

        > Last New Years Eve was celebrated in short sleeves; previous years
        > have seen single digit temps, so be prepared.

        Temperature was about 40. It dropped to just below freezing overnight.
        The mud on the ground all froze in little crystals.

        > I believe the celebration took place in the parking area where USFS42
        > intersects the trail (the North side of Springer at the base). Don't
        > know the time it begins.

        It is at the shelter. People have gathered by near sunset. Walking the
        quarter mile to the summit and watching the sunset was very nice. This
        depends on the weather, of course.

        > The Visitors center is at 1700', peak of Springer is 3782'.
        >

        > Someone else will have to fill you in on details of the approach
        > trail. If your schedule is real tight, you could drive in.

        It is possible to drive to within a mile of the shelter if the weather
        is good. I enjoyed hiking in from Amacola falls.

        > Enjoy yourself!

        Rick
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004