Ground Dweller

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
      Good Morning!

      I plan on joining the Speer Hammock Camping adventure on Springer
      Mountain on New Years Eve. ...for a first-hand look at hammocks, Pea
      Pods, etc. This opportunity/idea of saving a couple pounds (!!!) in
      my pack is too exciting.

      I can handle the cold and a certain amount of snow (under a foot
      PLEASE!) and have been "out there" in cold and nasty weather.

      Need some advice/experience:
      ----------------------------

      Planning on using the Amicalola Falls State Park as a Base Camp.
      Found that it is 8 - 9 miles to Springer from there. Anyone know the
      elevation gain / time to hike in...? I am on a tight schedule and
      have to drive over 600 miles to get there.

      Any water along the way or lug it in...?

      Is there a time schedule or just "be there" for New Years Eve?

      Will there be Champange or bring my own...<g>...?

      Thanks!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
    • rosaleen43@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
        Hey, J.D.!

        Where do you call home?  The only time I remember seeing your last name was associated with my all time favorite teacher of my three sons.  They really liked him, too.  I have to wonder if you are related to him?

        Some year I'd like to make the New Year's at Springer event.  We will probably be in or near Detroit, or on our way home to the Boston area from there this year.

        Have fun at Springer and welcome to the group.

        Rosaleen

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
          Good Morning, Rosaleen!

          I live in Northern VA - 25 miles south of the White House. I know the
          mileage *exactly* 'cause any time someone is visiting, I am the
          Official Tour Guide for DC. Traffic here is #2 worst in the country -
          I hate it....!

          Anyway, I grew up on a farm near Wooster, OH. Dad was from southern
          Indiana. Lots of cousins there who *are* teachers.

          "Hoessle" is rather uncommon and I can I.D. nearly everyone in the
          U.S.A. having done a tiny bit of genealogy. There are the "St. Louis
          Hoessle's" to whom I cannot establish a connection. The "NC / SC
          Hoessle's" are from upper NY State and I cannot connect to them; but,
          most everyone else...<g>...!

          May I ask...? Where do you live, Rosaleen...?

          *** Sorry everyone...! The above is definitely "Off-Subject"....!

          Rosaleen, please feel free to email me directly: <JD@...>

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.

        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
            JD-

            PM sent to your E-mail addy.  We are outside of Boston by about 40 miles to the west.

            Rosaleen