Cord marking question

  • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2003
      Hi Folks,

      I use a Hennessey Hammock (Ultralight Asym) but I suspect this
      question could apply to any number of other hammocks out there. I
      have marked my hammock tie-out ropes (cords really) with little
      rings of white medical tape at 1 foot intervals to make it easier to
      setup right the first time.

      I start by pacing the distance between the trees, subtract the
      length of the hammock, split the remaining difference to come up
      with how long each rope end should be between the tree. Then when I
      put the first end up I pull through enough cord on the initial
      lashing to leave the correct number of tape rings between the tree
      and the hammock. Then I go to the other end of the hammock and when
      I tie that to the tree the hammock is almost dead-on centered and
      properly tensioned.

      My question is whether anyone knows how to mark the rope a little
      more permanently? I tried white-out and a few types of paint
      (although I'm hesitant to try some of the solvent based ones in fear
      of what they might do to the cord/rope). Those wore off pretty
      quickly as sometimes when the trees are closer together some ended
      up being pulled through the lashing and the markings abraded off.
      The tape is a little more durable but in warm weather the adhesive
      sometimes loosens up so the tape ring moves...which means they're
      not at 1' intervals and my whole system is invalidated.

      I thought about putting little overhand knots in the cord but
      haven't due to the potential for weakening the cord and because I
      want something with some contrast so they're easy to see/count.

      Anyone have a clever idea here?

      Jim
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 26, 2003
        Message
        Great idea to mark the hanging cord/straps Jim.  I've often struggled to get the hammock evenly set up the first time--your idea would make it easy!  I'll have to put some thought into the 'how', but thanks for the idea.....Ed

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 26, 2003
          In a message dated 2/26/03 18:55:50, info@... writes:

          >Great idea to mark the hanging cord/straps Jim. I've often struggled to
          >
          >get the hammock evenly set up the first time--your idea would make it
          >
          >easy! I'll have to put some thought into the 'how', but thanks for the
          >
          >idea.....Ed
          With a Speer hammock, which uses flat webbing, sewing a line of contrasting
          color stitching every foot across the webbing should do the trick, as would
          sewing a small piece of ribbon to the webbing. Overhand knots would
          definitely weaken a rope, so that's out. Sailors use marked pieces of
          flexible plastic between the strands of their anchor rode to know how much
          scope they have out, but that will work only with three-strand twisted line.
          With a braided line, you could take a large needle and sew a contrasting
          color thread to the outer braid.
        • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2003
            Sure, outside the established box,

            Seeing that you do not need to do the measurement in feet or any
            other units, use an anatomic measuring stick. You may want to use
            the distance from your palm to your elbow (handy when doing distance
            with cord) And it's handy that two "forearm" lengths just about
            equals a step. So you don't mark the cord, you just measure it out
            and tie. (If you need a finer measure, 2 hand spans (thumb to little
            finger, spread widely) equals a forearm)

            If the hammock is 3 steps long and the distance between trees is 5
            steps, you need a forearm and a half of cord at each end.

            Oh, there are a few others: A fathom, the measure from one
            outstretched hand to the other is about 2 steps - which is also a
            pace. 1000 paces (a mille paces) is a mile as are a 1000 fathoms.
            Actually the fathom is a little longer than a pace for most people (6
            vs 5.25 feet), so a statute mile is a little shorter than a nautical
            mile.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76
            <colonelcorn76@y...>" <colonelcorn76@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > I use a Hennessey Hammock (Ultralight Asym) but I suspect this
            > question could apply to any number of other hammocks out there. I
            > have marked my hammock tie-out ropes (cords really) with little
            > rings of white medical tape at 1 foot intervals to make it easier
            > setup right the first time.
            >
            > I start by pacing the distance between the trees, subtract the
            > length of the hammock, split the remaining difference to come up
            > with how long each rope end should be between the tree. Then when I
            > put the first end up I pull through enough cord on the initial
            > lashing to leave the correct number of tape rings between the tree
            > and the hammock. Then I go to the other end of the hammock and when
            > I tie that to the tree the hammock is almost dead-on centered and
            > properly tensioned.
            >
            > My question is whether anyone knows how to mark the rope a little
            > more permanently? I tried white-out and a few types of paint
            > (although I'm hesitant to try some of the solvent based ones in
            fear
            > of what they might do to the cord/rope). Those wore off pretty
            > quickly as sometimes when the trees are closer together some ended
            > up being pulled through the lashing and the markings abraded off.
            > The tape is a little more durable but in warm weather the adhesive
            > sometimes loosens up so the tape ring moves...which means they're
            > not at 1' intervals and my whole system is invalidated.
            >
            > I thought about putting little overhand knots in the cord but
            > haven't due to the potential for weakening the cord and because I
            > want something with some contrast so they're easy to see/count.
            >
            > Anyone have a clever idea here?
            >
            > Jim
          • Marge Prothman
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2003
              Wow!
              Who said I was too old to learn, what a great idea for measuring
              Distances.
              Thanks,
              Marge (the old gal)

                > Seeing that you do not need to do the measurement in feet or any
                > other units, use an anatomic measuring stick. You may want to use
                > the distance from your palm to your elbow (handy when doing
                distance
                > with cord) And it's handy that two "forearm" lengths just about
                > equals a step. So you don't mark the cord, you just measure it
                out
                > and tie. (If you need a finer measure, 2 hand spans (thumb to
                little
                > finger, spread widely) equals a forearm)

                Hmmm.....Thanks....I think I'll grab a tape measure and start
                measuring body parts. I already did that for some std measures (the
                distance from the tip of my right middle finger to the joint is 1"
                exactly, from that joint to my wrist is 6" and from my wrist to the
                outside of my elbow is 12") but I haven't done any relativistic
                measuring in terms of paces vs. arm length, etc.

                Jim
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2003
                  Message
                  My learning never stops...Ed

                  Seeing that you do not need to do the measurement in feet or any
                  other units, use an anatomic measuring stick.  You may want to use
                  the distance from your palm to your elbow (handy when doing distance
                  with cord)  And it's handy that two "forearm" lengths just about
                  equals a step.  So you don't mark the cord, you just measure it out
                  and tie.  (If you need a finer measure, 2 hand spans (thumb to little
                  finger, spread widely) equals a forearm)

                  If the hammock is 3 steps long and the distance between trees is 5
                  steps, you need a forearm and a half of cord at each end.

                  Oh, there are a few others:  A fathom, the measure from one
                  outstretched hand to the other is about 2 steps - which is also a
                  pace.  1000 paces (a mille paces) is a mile as are a 1000 fathoms.
                  Actually the fathom is a little longer than a pace for most people (6
                  vs 5.25 feet), so a statute mile is a little shorter than a nautical
                  mile.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76
                  <colonelcorn76@y...>" <colonelcorn76@y...> wrote:
                  > Hi Folks,
                  >
                  > I use a Hennessey Hammock (Ultralight Asym) but I suspect this
                  > question could apply to any number of other hammocks out there. I
                  > have marked my hammock tie-out ropes (cords really) with little
                  > rings of white medical tape at 1 foot intervals to make it easier
                  > setup right the first time.
                  >
                  > I start by pacing the distance between the trees, subtract the
                  > length of the hammock, split the remaining difference to come up
                  > with how long each rope end should be between the tree. Then when I
                  > put the first end up I pull through enough cord on the initial
                  > lashing to leave the correct number of tape rings between the tree
                  > and the hammock. Then I go to the other end of the hammock and when
                  > I tie that to the tree the hammock is almost dead-on centered and
                  > properly tensioned.
                  >
                  > My question is whether anyone knows how to mark the rope a little
                  > more permanently? I tried white-out and a few types of paint
                  > (although I'm hesitant to try some of the solvent based ones in
                  fear
                  > of what they might do to the cord/rope). Those wore off pretty
                  > quickly as sometimes when the trees are closer together some ended
                  > up being pulled through the lashing and the markings abraded off.
                  > The tape is a little more durable but in warm weather the adhesive
                  > sometimes loosens up so the tape ring moves...which means they're
                  > not at 1' intervals and my whole system is invalidated.
                  >
                  > I thought about putting little overhand knots in the cord but
                  > haven't due to the potential for weakening the cord and because I
                  > want something with some contrast so they're easy to see/count.
                  >
                  > Anyone have a clever idea here?
                  >
                  > Jim

                • David Chinell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2003
                    Message
                    Yes. That's one advantage of using tree ropes to which I attach my hammock main lines.

                    I can easily center the hammock by equalizing the amount of slack pulled through the tree ropes before tying off the hammock mains.

                    I thought it was just me that was so fussy about getting things centered. I usually tie each knot at least twice before I'm satisfied that the hammock is centered, at the right height, and under the right tension. Twice if I'm lucky. Usually more than that.

                    And I use body measurements too. I don't convert to an arbitrary standard though, but keep the measurement units in body parts. (That rope is two forearms and a hand long.)

                    And here's another idea I'm meaning to try out. Carry two 24-inch closed cell foam pads. One is four or five feet long, and goes along my length. The other is three feet long and goes across the first, centered on my ribcage area. It's like a 36-inch wide pad, but rolls up like a 24-inch pad. Though bulkier.

                    Bear
                  • colonelcorn76 <colonelcorn76@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1 6:17 AM
                      <dchinell@m...> wrote:

                      > I thought it was just me that was so fussy about getting things
                      centered. I
                      > usually tie each knot at least twice before I'm satisfied that the
                      hammock
                      > is centered, at the right height, and under the right tension.
                      Twice if I'm
                      > lucky. Usually more than that.

                      That's why I mark my cords. Then I only have to tie the knots once.
                      I used to get irritated not to get it right the first time which is
                      why I came up with the cord marking system. (I'm pretty sure lazy
                      people are the most creative --- they have an incentive to make
                      things easier that more energetic folks don't <grin>)

                      Jim
                    • Bill Keiser
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 11, 2003
                        i would stitch some white(or maybe dayglo yellow) nylon thread through
                        the rope or strap.
                        bs (who just found a new list and can't help answering old posts)