Finally made a hammock

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2004
      I found some gray 1.1 oz ripstop on the clearance racks at our Wal-
      mart. Woohoo! It's got a nice silvery color in the sun.

      I wanted to make a double bottom hammock like Rick's zhammock, so I
      bought 8 yards, wondering if a longer hammock would be more
      comfortable (I'm 6'2").

      Not wanting to sew (our maching is acting up anyway), I folded the
      material double, and then folded the ends. On the first fold I
      folded it with the ends even. What am I trying to say, here. Umm,
      when I folded in the edges toward the center, I made the ends even.
      Kept folding, eventually tied the thing in a double sheet bend with
      some fat rope that was lying around. It was kinda comfy but the
      sides were too floppy and it was tippy, just like everyone said it
      would be. I tried folding it a couple more times and for now the
      ends are folded so the the edges were about 4 inches higher than the
      center when I am folding the material. The sides are still a little
      loose but it is stable and I felt like lying in it instead of
      refolding. :-)

      Right now the body of my hammock is about 11 feet long (8 yards of
      mat'l, doubled, ends folded in a double sheet bend). It's obviously
      longer than it needs to be. Also, I don't think that I had it hung
      very tight, so that may contribute to the floppy sides and also make
      it less comfortable for this side-sleeper.

      The weather was not cold, but lying in the hammock got pretty cool,
      so I put a pad in between the layers. It made a huge difference, of
      course.

      Still lots of experimenting to be done, but I wanted to say THANKS to
      every one who has helped out so far. I'm looking forward to sleeping
      in it this weekend after the rain stops.

      Thank you Thank you Thank you!

      Please let me know if I am doing anything obviously counterproductive.

      Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2004
        You are on your way! Sounds like fun.

        Risk