Re: Trip to Shining Rock

  • ghman777
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
      I was recently up at SR myself. My fav place to go. I use a regular
      hammock with a Speer Pea Pod. Had my wife sew 2 velcro strips length
      wise inside the Pod for a down quilt to stay in place for winter.
      That setup with a top quilt will keep me snug with a single layer of
      clothing. With the way winter weather is on the Rock, I also carry a
      blue foam pad cut to form for the inside if needed, or.. then I could
      put the setup on the ground along with my 8X10 for those extreme
      artic express surprises up there. Gotta love it!

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <joiners@b...> wrote:

      > Hi, all. I came back from a trip to Shining Rock with my 14 yo son
      > and some friends - have posted a few pics in the 'Steve' folder. I
      > have a few observations and a couple of questions....
      >
      > We started at Daniel Boon Scout Camp on the northwest corner of the
      > wilderness area, hiked ~6 miles up ~2,600 feet to Shining Rock
      Gap.